Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why is everyone recommending 2 button suit over a 3 button suit? just curious? All my life I have been wearing 3 button suits, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Also, I really like the the grey charcoal suits as well. I have a very nice, black suit. However, it has pinstripes so I will NOT be wearing it and I am going to start looking for suits.

Here is my dilemma ....My weight fluctuates 5-10 lbs at any given time, given my workout routine and eating. I usually hover anywhere from 185-195. I was going to get a suit for an upcoming wedding next week, and was planning on wearing that suit to my interview in early october. However, after reading this threat, I am definitely going to get whatever suit I get tailored. I just thought that it would be better to wait and wear my old suit to the wedding next week a new suit and have it tailored as I get closer to the interview deadline....what do you guys think?

These are the two looks I had in mind:

1. http://www.infobarrel.com/Interview_Attire_For_Men
2. http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/how-to-dress-for-a-job-interview-061909

either a solid black or solid grey suit, with a white shirt and blue tie. I have black dress shoes, so I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for the grey suit? any suggestions would be appreciated regarding the two choices above. Thanks!
I would wait to get your new suit tailored closer towards your interview. No point in getting it tailored for the wedding when your concerned with your weight fluctuating. I would go with the grey; black seems to funeral-like. Also, I am wearing black shoes with a dark grey suit so I think your shoes are fine as well. Just my 0.02.

Members don't see this ad.

Why is everyone recommending 2 button suit over a 3 button suit? just curious? All my life I have been wearing 3 button suits, maybe I am doing something wrong.

Also, I really like the the grey charcoal suits as well. I have a very nice, black suit. However, it has pinstripes so I will NOT be wearing it and I am going to start looking for suits.

Here is my dilemma ....My weight fluctuates 5-10 lbs at any given time, given my workout routine and eating. I usually hover anywhere from 185-195. I was going to get a suit for an upcoming wedding next week, and was planning on wearing that suit to my interview in early october. However, after reading this threat, I am definitely going to get whatever suit I get tailored. I just thought that it would be better to wait and wear my old suit to the wedding next week a new suit and have it tailored as I get closer to the interview deadline....what do you guys think?

These are the two looks I had in mind:

1. http://www.infobarrel.com/Interview_Attire_For_Men
2. http://www.esquire.com/the-side/style-guides/how-to-dress-for-a-job-interview-061909

either a solid black or solid grey suit, with a white shirt and blue tie. I have black dress shoes, so I'm not sure if that would be appropriate for the grey suit? any suggestions would be appreciated regarding the two choices above. Thanks!

I would not wear a black suit to an interview, but that's just me. Grey charcoal is good. That's what color my suit was. Definitely black dress shoes, so you're all good there. Waiting to get your new suit tailored is not a bad idea, just make sure you give yourself 2-3 weeks.

2 button is more modern...3 button isn't horrible, just kind of dated

Members don't see this ad :)
i dunno if it was answered directly, but is a tie necessary? i have a suit ready, i just don't like ties, i prefer the suit without the tie look

Do they allow you to take off your suit coat? I ask because my dress shirt underneath is not fitted well and will look stupid if I take my coat off.

i dunno if it was answered directly, but is a tie necessary? i have a suit ready, i just don't like ties, i prefer the suit without the tie look

Yes ties necessary. You are entering a professional environment, not modeling for GQ. :laugh:

Do they allow you to take off your suit coat? I ask because my dress shirt underneath is not fitted well and will look stupid if I take my coat off.

I would keep it on. Some people removed them for the tour here @ AZCOM, but it's understandable since it was 110+ degrees. They put their coats back on once we got back inside.

Yes ties necessary. You are entering a professional environment, not modeling for GQ. :laugh:

+1
At LECOM for example, a shirt and tie are required dress code for classes etc. I would definitely wear a tie.

quick question: I am wondering if it is appropriate to have "scruff" for my interview? It may sound dumb but I am curious because I have a "baby face" and look really young and don't know if having scruff will be beneficial because it makes me look older or if it will look dirty and unprofessional? lol

Multiple guys (and thankfully no ladies) at my interview today had well-trimmed short beards and even some kind of "scruff" looking ones. I'd say if it looks ok on you go for it. I, however, can't grow much of anything except under the chin and on the neck and sparsely at that. And I'm 28. Sadface

2 button is more modern...3 button isn't horrible, just kind of dated

Plus if you have a three button you should only keep the top two buttoned anyway, so why even have the third button? Lol

:thumbup: No half-Windsors, folks. Full Windsors or other professional knots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plus if you have a three button you should only keep the top two buttoned anyway, so why even have the third button? Lol

Exactly!! (and same rule applies for 2 button btw...never button any coats bottom button.)

Plus, 2 button just looks cooler ;)

I would keep it on. Some people removed them for the tour here @ AZCOM, but it's understandable since it was 110+ degrees. They put their coats back on once we got back inside.

:thumbup: I would also keep it on as long as you can bear it if you're interviewing in a hot climate. Here in Florida, the LECOM-B interview day was held exclusively indoors, since the whole COM campus is just one building. The interview day here at NSU-COM is 95% indoors. We will take you outside just to show you the adjacent buildings and the practice field for the Miami Dolphins (they have been having events). At the conclusion of the interview day, they will most likely be offering a bus-tour of the entire campus. While they shuttle you around in a bus, you will be making frequent stops and getting out for brief periods of time to go inside a few buildings, like the humongous library on the undergrad part of campus.

:thumbup: I would also keep it on as long as you can bear it if you're interviewing in a hot climate. Here in Florida, the LECOM-B interview day was held exclusively indoors, since the whole COM campus is just one building. The interview day here at NSU-COM is 95% indoors. We will take you outside just to show you the adjacent buildings and the practice field for the Miami Dolphins (they have been having events). At the conclusion of the interview day, they will most likely be offering a bus-tour of the entire campus. While they shuttle you around in a bus, you will be making frequent stops and getting out for brief periods of time to go inside a few buildings, like the humongous library on the undergrad part of campus.

Whoa, NOVA sound hugenormous! I really REALLY liked my interview at LECOM-Erie today and am excited to see how other schools stacked up. What's the curriculum like at NSU?

If it helps any other new suit owners, I tried this. Worked perfectly. Zero wrinkles.

Multiple guys (and thankfully no ladies) at my interview today had well-trimmed short beards and even some kind of "scruff" looking ones. I'd say if it looks ok on you go for it. I, however, can't grow much of anything except under the chin and on the neck and sparsely at that. And I'm 28. Sadface

Yes I was surprised to see some people wearing facial hair. I'm glad, though, because I don't really like my appearance without at least a little bit of facial hair. So i'll feel a bit more comfortable in the future.

Last edited:
Picked up 3 new spread-collar shirts from Nordstrom Rack today. Super excited about them. None are solid, but they're all wear-able for interviews/future.

Picked up 3 new spread-collar shirts from Nordstrom Rack today. Super excited about them. None are solid, but they're all wear-able for interviews/future.

I have both types of shirts and like them both, but I really like the full Windsor tie knot and I think spread collar shirts are better for this look. The full Windsor can be a wide knot depending on how tight you make it, so point collars may hide it.

I have both types of shirts and like them both, but I really like the full Windsor tie knot and I think spread collar shirts are better for this look. The full Windsor can be a wide knot depending on how tight you make it, so point collars may hide it.

I agree about the Windsor. I only recently discovered the spread collar shirt and I'm really liking them. I have a bunch of point collar and button-down collar too, but for now I'm only going to buy new spread collar shirts. I think they look a lot better under a suit/white coat. I was reading about matching collar type to your face, and apparently the shape of my face is better suited for spread collar anyway.

I've also always tied a Windsor, but lately I've been considering a new knot.. perhaps a 4 in hand.

I agree about the Windsor. I only recently discovered the spread collar shirt and I'm really liking them. I have a bunch of point collar and button-down collar too, but for now I'm only going to buy new spread collar shirts. I think they look a lot better under a suit/white coat. I was reading about matching collar type to your face, and apparently the shape of my face is better suited for spread collar anyway.

I've also always tied a Windsor, but lately I've been considering a new knot.. perhaps a 4 in hand.

What's a spread collar? Google, here I come!

i'm just glad i'll never have to wear a tie...but I guess y'all are lucky because you never have to walk in heels

bought two skirt suits the other day...probably going with a charcoal grey one. definitely pearl studs and low (like 1-2") heels. ladies...what do we think about bags? yes? no?

I just Googled what a four in hand looks like, lol.

First knot I learned how to tie. Much easier than everything else imo. Just wrap the wide end around the narrow end twice and loop it through. Done!

i'm just glad i'll never have to wear a tie...but I guess y'all are lucky because you never have to walk in heels

bought two skirt suits the other day...probably going with a charcoal grey one. definitely pearl studs and low (like 1-2") heels. ladies...what do we think about bags? yes? no?

Ties aren't uncomfortable to me. I'd much rather wear a tie than heels :)

Can't go wrong with a four-in-hand. I hate windsor knots because they are soooo large I think they look goofy.

Have you seen a four-in-hand with a spread collar? I think it looks way too small. Last night I put on one of my spread collar shirts and tried out 3 knots (took pictures too) to see which I liked best. Full Windsor was pretty big, but looked alright; Half Windsor looked perfect; and four-in-hand looked way too small. For point collar shirts four-in-hand is great though. Same for button-down collars.

I always go with a full-windsor. Much cleaner and even knot. Doesn't work with "shorter" ties though.

Would a purple (lilac) dress shirt be acceptable (with charcoal suit)? I don't want to wear white and my favorite light blue shirt just picket up an ink stain.

Have you seen a four-in-hand with a spread collar? I think it looks way too small. Last night I put on one of my spread collar shirts and tried out 3 knots (took pictures too) to see which I liked best. Full Windsor was pretty big, but looked alright; Half Windsor looked perfect; and four-in-hand looked way too small. For point collar shirts four-in-hand is great though. Same for button-down collars.

Point collar with 4-in-hand ;)

Would a purple (lilac) dress shirt be acceptable (with charcoal suit)? I don't want to wear white and my favorite light blue shirt just picket up an ink stain.

That would be pretty pimp. :thumbup:

I always go with a full-windsor. Much cleaner and even knot. Doesn't work with "shorter" ties though.

Is lilac like a light lavender? If yes, then yes. I saw a bunch of light lavender shirts and really considered it. I'm going to go with either a solid light blue or something with stripes. Not sure yet.

I've have normal length ties and full-windsor works on all of them. It even works on slim (not skinny) ties. I think a full-windsor would look way too huge if tied with a normal width tie.. Just my opinion though.

Is lilac like a light lavender? If yes, then yes. I saw a bunch of light lavender shirts and really considered it. I'm going to go with either a solid light blue or something with stripes. Not sure yet.

Solid light color. :thumbup:

I think a full-windsor would look way too huge if tied with a normal width tie.. Just my opinion though.

Not if you tie the knot tight :cool:

What's a spread collar? Google, here I come!

images

vs the usual

AAAAAjhIYpUAAAAAAJyzzg.jpg

Spread collar is usually recommened for people with longer faces, while the point is good for wider faces / thicker necks.

images

vs the usual

AAAAAjhIYpUAAAAAAJyzzg.jpg

Spread collar is usually recommened for people with longer faces, while the point is good for wider faces / thicker necks.

Very informative thank you! Google, here I don't come! :D

If you come with a sloppy, ill-fitting suit to an interview at their school how does that make your interest in them look? This is a school that you are asking to make you a DOCTOR. You would probably want to look well put together. If that means tailoring, then I'm tailoring. I can't imagine adding modern flair would hurt so long as it's subtle, no need for 100% conservative. Maybe it would even show attention to detail.

If you come with a sloppy, ill-fitting suit to an interview at their school how does that make your interest in them look? This is a school that you are asking to make you a DOCTOR. You would probably want to look well put together. If that means tailoring, then I'm tailoring. I can't imagine adding modern flair would hurt so long as it's subtle, no need for 100% conservative. Maybe it would even show attention to detail.

Conservative > modern flair for interviews.

Best place/way to get a cheap tie bar?

Best place/way to get a cheap tie bar?

I bought this thing, I forgot where I got it from.. it's like a little piece of cloth that has two holes on either end and you loop it through the loop in your tie,and then button it to your shirt buttons. Keeps your tie in place and out of your food/work/etc.

Best $8 I ever spent.

DO uses an asclepius not a cadeuces. Hermes cadeuces' use as a medical symbol was mistakenly used.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Yes I'm aware. True, DO schools do use the rod of Asclepius more though. However, the caduceus is used throughout medicine, MD or DO.

Last edited:
1. Yes tie bars are awesome :)

2. Yes definitely wear a belt!

I bought this thing, I forgot where I got it from.. it's like a little piece of cloth that has two holes on either end and you loop it through the loop in your tie,and then button it to your shirt buttons. Keeps your tie in place and out of your food/work/etc.

Best $8 I ever spent.

Age old secret, you can make those little cloth thingies yourself. Jus take an old dress shirt and cut the strip off the front that has the button holes. Cut that up into little strips with a button hole at either end and there you have it.

Age old secret, you can make those little cloth thingies yourself. Jus take an old dress shirt and cut the strip off the front that has the button holes. Cut that up into little strips with a button hole at either end and there you have it.

I realize this but I am rather fond of my dress shirts ;)

Last edited: