Interview Demeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misty818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What types of people do admissions committees like to see in the interview? Would they prefer someone who is more calm, serious, and mature, or someone who is more bubbly, lively, and easygoing? I realize the answer to this question isn't black or white, but what is more impressive to adcoms in general?

Members don't see this ad.

i guess the best answer will be: if you go see a dentist, what kind of dentist would you prefer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all the previous answers are good. The overall tone should be CONFIDENCE (but not arrogance) and ENTHUSIASM (but not immaturity)

My aim (and I think a lot of people do the same) is enter the room bubbly with a huge smile a confident handshake and make a light hearted joke (my favorite was always to remark on ruffled papers everywhere and ask if they beat the last interviewee up...then would ask them to go easy on me...always got a laugh)....after a bubbly entrance switch to a confident reserved poise as soon as they get to the first REAL question (not name, tell me about urself) Show your passion with well thought out answers and demonstrate that while you're friendly and sociable you can also switch to business mode when it's time to talk teeth

Go slow...everyones nervous, and if youre one of the candidates who talks slowly and deliberately it almost doesn't matter what you say, you will sound smarter and more adept than the others who are motor mouthing

1. Confidence
2. Enthusiasm
3. Sense of humor
4. Excitement
5. Dedication

Prolly not telling u anything new but sometimes it helps to write it out

I hear some schools also take into account your physical attractiveness, right?

I hear some schools also take into account your physical attractiveness, right?

Only worry about what you can control.

The best advice anyone can give you is to simply be yourself. You're not going to fool anyone, so don't try. That being said, confidence but not arrogance, levity more than seriousness, and be sure to consistently be asking them questions if the interview is more dialogue style.

The interview is the easiest part. Just be yourself.

I always thought the 'just be yourself' was common sense and easy to do. But as I look back, my worst interviews were the ones where I got too caught up in the mechanics and didn't just go in and relax and just be myself. By mechanics, I mean over-preparing and stressing about researching the school, looking over potential and past questions, remembering what questions I wanted to ask them, etc. I was too worried about not messing up than just being myself. I just never let go of that and it made the conversations weird and I was probably more nervous than I should have been.

I'll probably mentions this throughout the cycle. It doesn't matter at all now, but my mind still dwells on it.