Interview Droughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badlydrawnvik

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that there are many people that have not received interviews yet, and this thread is not meant to make anyone feel bad, but I was wondering if people who received interviews early feel like they're in some sort of interview drought right now. I went a few weeks where I heard from schools at least twice a week and it's been awhile since I've been granted any more interviews and there are a lot of schools I'm interested in that have not said a word to me. Are a lot of schools in between applications right now and just waiting to give out some acceptances before they send out more invitations?

Members don't see this ad.

Aww, that's just plain greedy. :D You've got like ten interviews, 1 acceptance, and you're waiting on the top tens. Despite the timing, that's hardly a "drought." I say you're doing just fine. :thumbup:

badlydrawnvik said:
I understand that there are many people that have not received interviews yet, and this thread is not meant to make anyone feel bad, but I was wondering if people who received interviews early feel like they're in some sort of interview drought right now. I went a few weeks where I heard from schools at least twice a week and it's been awhile since I've been granted any more interviews and there are a lot of schools I'm interested in that have not said a word to me. Are a lot of schools in between applications right now and just waiting to give out some acceptances before they send out more invitations?

You know that phrase, "Count your blessings"?

Do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite what the last two posters have said, I hear ya. I am very thankful for all that I've got so far, but there are a few "dream schools" that I'd really like to hear from. I want to have the opportunity to personally present myself at all the schools I've applied to, but then again, I am overly optimistic. :rolleyes:

Judging from the interview threads, it seems like schools haven't been sending out too many invites lately, probably because they're starting to admit people and process August MCATers' apps. I guess we have to remember that schools interview people until March, so there is a lot more time to get invites. Plus, the bulk of apps got turned in at around the same time so it's going to take the schools longer to process the ones that all arrived in August.

Patience, my friend!

B

BDiesel said:
Despite what the last two posters have said, I hear ya. I am very thankful for all that I've got so far, but there are a few "dream schools" that I'd really like to hear from. I want to have the opportunity to personally present myself at all the schools I've applied to, but then again, I am overly optimistic. :rolleyes:

Judging from the interview threads, it seems like schools haven't been sending out too many invites lately, probably because they're starting to admit people and process August MCATers' apps. I guess we have to remember that schools interview people until March, so there is a lot more time to get invites. Plus, the bulk of apps got turned in at around the same time so it's going to take the schools longer to process the ones that all arrived in August.

Patience, my friend!

B

So what's with all the California bashing in your profile? :mad:

I don't necessarily think its an interview drought...I just think that getting interviews is like a bad drug...you get one and all it does is make you want more. You get the first one and you're super-excited, your heart races, and you are feeling good for a few days. Then you get the second interview, and while you're still happy, you're not as happy as you were with the first. It's almost like you need to get multple interviews in a short time span or an interview at your top choice to get that same feeling as the first. Do they have a rehab clinic for this? :p

Interview Addicts Anonymous?

tacrum43 said:
So what's with all the California bashing in your profile? :mad:

Haha, that's mostly just to make myself feel better! I have family near San Diego and I really like Cali, I just can't see myself going to school out there. It's too far away from home.

Sorry to offend you Californians! I like you guys, really!

B

Okay, can we turn this thread into one for people with only one or two interviews? My presence on the "no interview" thread was frowned upon, but I only have had one interview forever ago and not a peep from any other schools. I feel like I am in some sort of SDN purgatory. I can only contribute to the epiphenomena threads like "favorite song" or "are your parents doctors?" which are very fine threads in their own right, but don't ease my anxiety by even an ounce.

BDiesel said:
Haha, that's mostly just to make myself feel better! I have family near San Diego and I really like Cali, I just can't see myself going to school out there. It's too far away from home.

Sorry to offend you Californians! I like you guys, really!

B

Okay...I still think it's nuts to withdraw from an interview at USC, but okay. Still, I guess that leaves more potential spots for us Californians.

Actually, I wouldn't really want to live in LA either And I can definitely understand about wanting to be closer to home. :thumbup:

gdbaby said:
Okay, can we turn this thread into one for people with only one or two interviews? My presence on the "no interview" thread was frowned upon, but I only have had one interview forever ago and not a peep from any other schools. I feel like I am in some sort of SDN purgatory. I can only contribute to the epiphenomena threads like "favorite song" or "are your parents doctors?" which are very fine threads in their own right, but don't ease my anxiety by even an ounce.

I think if we did this, the CPWNIY would find out and...well, who knows what they might do. :p

tacrum43 said:
I think if we did this, the CPWNIY would find out and...well, who knows what they might do. :p
Curses Iowa! I wish you would have never granted me an interview! HA! I guess I will be content to aimlessly drift between "Will you chose a school by location" and "What is your favorite medical-based TV program?" Expect a lot of postings from me there.

Drought here! Last invite was labor day weekend, and nothing but a rejection from MCW since.

gdbaby and I are gettin' dissed by our own state school, which is starting to invite Aug MCATers for interviews while ignoring us lowly in-state hopefuls.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am also one with the 1 very early interview and then NOTHING. it sucks hardcore. i was expecting at least BU sooner than later, cuz of the SMP program.

I gotta say, I agree with the OP. I had a point where I had an interview every Monday, and now (I guess since I've cancelled a few and haven't heard from anyone in a while) I don't have any more scheduled after my Halloween one! California-bashing is fine - some of the ones I haven't heard from include: UCLA, Stanford, UCSF. Jerks. Then again, the UCs notoriously take forever and Stanford is just. . . well. . . Stanford.

So yeah - interview drought here, too. But hey, at least my bar isn't running dry! Cheers!

Indeed. I am going to use the money I would have spent flying to interviews, stocking up the home bar.

Shy, I am as appalled as you regarding all the CU interviews!

tacrum43 said:
Okay...I still think it's nuts to withdraw from an interview at USC, but okay. Still, I guess that leaves more potential spots for us Californians.

Actually, I wouldn't really want to live in LA either And I can definitely understand about wanting to be closer to home. :thumbup:

Well, that's pretty much precisely why I withdrew. Going to interviews is costing me a fortune, so I thought it would be best if I withdrew from USC as I had little intention of going there. Not that I don't think it's a good school, it was just too far from home for me to feasibly consider going there.

In retrospect, I wish I would have chosen schools a bit more carefully for AMCAS. I was kind of like, well, I'll decide later, and I ended up withdrawing from more than I thought I would at the outset. Oh well, I guess it just means I'm out a few grand....

I hope I get more invites before my last scheduled interview next week. Otherwise I won't have a good excuse to cut class! :laugh:

B

I'm not expecting any more interviews, as much as I'd love them. I've sort of forgotten that it's interview season at all, actually. I do have another scheduled for November, but it seems like an afterthought.

i feel the same...

i have had 4...which is decent...and i have one more scheduled but i am still greedy and want more...i haven't heard from the schools i REALLY wanted in the first place...

i guess at this point my anxiety is THROUGH THE ROOF because i am waiting on either an interview...or an acceptance...

i wake up thinking about this....

i hate life

wheres the bottle

My husband is threatening me with OCD medication to get through this app season. :laugh:
I keep telling him champagne and a full-time masseuse would be better.

I almost feel like the interviews are coordinated...I go through a drought, but when it rains, it pours.

After waiting on my last three schools for what seemed like forever, I got Duke, Harvard, and Penn all in the same week.

unicorn06 said:
I almost feel like the interviews are coordinated...I go through a drought, but when it rains, it pours.

After waiting on my last three schools for what seemed like forever, I got Duke, Harvard, and Penn all in the same week.

sounds good to me. tell Penn to send one my way :laugh:

congrats, btw

That's great to hear, Unicorn. Gives me hope yet! I am also waiting on some you named... maybe they just take longer than others!

benfolds21 said:
i feel the same...

i have had 4...which is decent...and i have one more scheduled but i am still greedy and want more...i haven't heard from the schools i REALLY wanted in the first place...

i guess at this point my anxiety is THROUGH THE ROOF because i am waiting on either an interview...or an acceptance...

i wake up thinking about this....

i hate life

wheres the bottle

Wow, that is like, my life right now (with the exception of one interview at a school I am seriously interested in). AND you are from my college town. Rock on.