Interview Experience & Practical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello I am selling following items - it will be very useful for any practical exams that you are taking in coming months

1)Kilgore typhodont with 15 teeth
2) Model teeth with ideal class 2 and PFM crown prep
3) Manikin mounting rod
4) manikin shroud
5) Portable dental compressor ( SENCO) with dental motor and air water syringe and hand piece holder with water bottle ( complete set up ready to be used)
6) NSK high speed and slow speed handpieces
7) Duggan DVD set for crown and cavity prep ( 8 DVD set)

Price is negotiable; if anyone interested in buying everything or selected things please PM me or email me on dentaldds2014@g m a i l . com ; I also have all pictures taken so if you are interested I can send you pictures; everything is in new condition - were only used once!

Good luck everyone!
Hello,
Can you tell me the price?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I just cleared my NBDE part 1 and got done with my applications. Can anybody please help me out with UCLA or UCSF interview and bench test preparations?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My interview in Minnesota is on September. if you already have yours, Can you please help me????
hi alexazabala,

I saw ur post for UMinnesota interview in 2012..can u pls share ur experience.....it will be of great help as I have an interview there in August...thank a lot in adavance!!

Hi
Can someone share their experience at Indiana university.
Thx

Hi
Is there any course to prepare for bench test in Boston or east coast . Please help

Hi guys! Please tell me about you gpa s because I have a 3.0 gpa and I m really scared. Tell me please if it s that important. Thx

hey guys,
I am a general dentist located in Germantown,MD.I was a foreign dentist few years ago, went on to attend an advanced standing program at one of the US dental schools and now in practice in Maryland.I am offering various courses for those preparing for NBDE part 1&2 and bench tests for international dentist programs.I provide a short course with guidelines to the bench test requirements on typhodonts, maniqins, model teeth and an opportunity to practice under dentists' guidance. courses are of one week to one month in duration to offer you various oppurtunites to practice on maniqins. All equipment, compressors, handpieces, teeth models are provided with video cds demonstrating ideal preperations and restorations.This course is merely to help you prepare for bench tests across the country for international dentist programs leading to DDS/DMD degrees and is not a guarantee to getting into any program or does not result in a certificate or a degree.For information on the various programs we offer please email me at [email protected]. To know us better our office website is www.germantowndentistry.com. All classes will be held in Germantown,Maryland and accomodations will be provided to those traveling from out of town.

Any female willing to share accommodation for Rochester on october 21, plz inbox me. Thank you in advance.

i got a hotel room for UPENN IV on September 30th. inbox me.

Can someone pls share info about the UCLA bench exam and written test?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone who got interview from Boston, Rutgers, and Howard For next 2015 entering class please shre their experience!!!
Thanks

Hi
Can anyone tell Colorado application status for starting January 2016 program, have they started taking Iv's ?
please can someone throw a light on it.

can anyone share their experience of interviews and bench test at any of the Canadian dental schools ?

Hi guys,
I have a quick question, does anyone know if we should know the trade name in pharma or just the generic for the test?

This is a good question you are asked.it will definitely helpful for students those have no idea about how to behave in interviews and practical exams.The hints the buddies commented are really gonna help to them.Be cool when preparing for practical exams and interviews.There are many sites providing recently asked questions and answers.Also they provides experiences when they attended the exams and interviews.Online services help to buy thesis proposal, dissertation,term papers.And these are also very much useful to them.

hey guys,
I am a general dentist located in Germantown,MD.I was a foreign dentist few years ago, went on to attend an advanced standing program at one of the US dental schools and now in practice in Maryland.I am offering various courses for those preparing for NBDE part 1&2 and bench tests for international dentist programs.I provide a short course with guidelines to the bench test requirements on typhodonts, maniqins, model teeth and an opportunity to practice under dentists' guidance. courses are of one week to one month in duration to offer you various oppurtunites to practice on maniqins. All equipment, compressors, handpieces, teeth models are provided with video cds demonstrating ideal preperations and restorations.This course is merely to help you prepare for bench tests across the country for international dentist programs leading to DDS/DMD degrees and is not a guarantee to getting into any program or does not result in a certificate or a degree.For information on the various programs we offer please email me at [email protected]. To know us better our office website is www.germantowndentistry.com. All classes will be held in Germantown,Maryland and accomodations will be provided to those traveling from out of town.
How many days is the course schedule?

Can anyone throw some light on the interview and bench test procedure at buffalo school of dental medicine. Thank you in advance.

Hi everyone..
Could u pls share ur interview experience at tufts school..?
Thanks!!

Hi all , I got an interview in UF AEGD program and part of the interview they have bench exam
Any advise on what to expect and how to prepare?
Thanx

Hi all , I got an interview in UF AEGD program and part of the interview they have bench exam
Any advise on what to expect and how to prepare?
Thanx

Hi Walus,
Could you please share your stats? I've also wanted to apply to this program. Thanks!

Hello everyone! Thought I'd share my interview experience. Went to 5 interviews this year.

University of Washington, Seattle

3 DAY interview- 2 day bench exam and the last day is for the interview.

Day 1: Morning session- 4 hours to practice what we know on the mannequin, and to familiarize ourselves with the instruments and burs provided. They provide a very extensive prostho, endo and restorative kit (including polishing burs etc). Nothing unfamiliar to work with. I was personally pretty happy and excited about the instruments they provided. The kit had everything! There are a couple of current students (IDDS and traditional) to help you with questions at this time. Everyone is really helpful, understanding and courteous.

Afternoon session- 4 hours to prep a class 2 amalgam (lower molar), class 3 composite (upper CI), restore a prepared class 2 with amalgam (upper molar) and restore a prepared class 4 with composite (upper CI). The latter two are prepared by current students so they have pretty standard measurements. I noticed that some of my adjacent teeth were damaged so I had to get them changed before my exam. Also, the typo does not close! So it is tough to check if you've gotten your class 4 restored properly.

Day 2:

Morning session- 4 hours to isolate an upper CI (using rubber dam and clamp), create axis opening and complete an RCT. The first two steps are checked by the invigilator and graded immediately. During the RCT we had to take 4 radiographs- one standard x ray prior to begg treatment, one for working length, and the last 2 with completed obturation in 2 different planes. There is a real time crunch felt at this session. Last one hour especially. They use a manual developer/fixer so that takes up a little more time to get through.

Afternoon session- 4 hours to survey an upper and lower cast, wax up of an upper CI (with inlay wax), prepare a provisional crown for a lower molar (with a sub gingival margin and very damaged surrounding gingiva) and prepare an upper molar for receiving a PFM. Time crunch once again!

University at Buffalo

2 day interview- 1st day bench and the 2nd day is the interview.

DAY 1: 2 one on one interviews with faculty. Each interview averaged about 20 mins. Interviews will be longer if they like you (that is the general trend I've noticed) Nothing too stressful. On my second interview I was asked a few case scenarios.

Day 2: Extensive bench exam, 5 preps in 5 hours. We had to make a Class 2 amalgam prep, Class 2 composite prep, Class 2 amalgam restoration, Class 2 composite restoration and an upper PFM on a CI. I experienced a real time crunch at this exam. It is definitely stressful. The equipment is amazing though. Each candidate gets his very own isolated set up and a range of instruments. We were even given polishing burs. Instructions given for the exam are very clear so there is usually no need to ask additional questions to your proctors. Still, 2 proctors are assigned to 10 students.

Note: The teeth we were asked to restore with amalgam and composite had very wide cavities. I’d used 2 pellets of composite and amalgam each! The teeth they use are traditional Kilgore prepped teeth, so you can always practice restoring them prior to your exam.

University of Colorado, Denver

One day interview! Bench and personal interview all in one long day.

The interview held here is more stressful than in other schools. Its 45 min long and panel based. 2 faculty and 2 IDP (current or alumni) interview you. They go over your resume and ask you the usual questions (what are your goals, where do you see yourself in 5 years? What do you like to do in your spare time? Tell us about your family etc). They also ask a few ethic based questions. They are trying to judge the kind of person you are. Its tricky answering those questions. Note: Try to be as honest as possible when answering. I interviewed with this school twice, and the second time I interviewed I was just honest. I didn't try to make up a flowery answer (which is what most people try to do- Don't!)

Bench- 3 components. Class 2 amalgam prep on a lower posterior tooth, FGC on an upper post tooth and wax carving. The handpicks they use are electric and are very heavy. I wasn't used to using such a heavy handpiece. Practicing before hand will make a world of a difference! For wax carving- they give you red rope wax and blue inlay wax and ask you to make certain designs using it. It’s very simple and you just need to follow the written instructions carefully. It's actually the most fun thing to do at the bench! Being dentists, this part is the best for us :D

Pacific

2 day interview- 1st day personal interview and the 2nd day is the bench.

Interview- 20 min personal interview with 1 faculty member. Very casual and fun! Good opportunity to ask questions about the school. Faculty is very nice and friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable!

Bench- 2 preps- 3 hours. PFM on an upper ant tooth, Class 2 MO amalgam prep on a post tooth. There is also a 15 min critical thinking assessment- this is a case study and is a written exam. It is presented to you before the bench exam.

University of California, San Francisco

2 day interview- 1st day interview and 2nd day bench exam.

Interview- very casual, 30 min with 2 faculty. They ask you 3 case scenarios during the interview- no right or wrong answers, they just want to see how you think.

Bench exam- 3 hours- 2 preps. FGC and PFM.

I've been accepted at UW, Colorado and Pacific this year. I am choosing UW :) Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 9 users
Hi sampu88, Thank you for sharing the info and Big Congratulations on your success!! Could you please share some information about the 3rd day interview at UW? What type of questions? How hard? Any recommendations on what to focus on? did you meet all the staff? etc. Thanks a lot!

Hello can anybody share their experiences on Boston university interview ?? Thanks in advance

Boston University and University of Texas San Antonio.. which one is better?

For sure San antonio I wish I had the opportunity to go there they have amazing staff new clinics great program My
Friend got accepted there so I was able to visit her in their campus and it was amazing

they both have great academic programs but at San Antonio the number of patient they see each year is more so when their students graduate they have more confidant dealing with patients

The job opportunity in Texas is amazing and the payment is more and the rents is much much cheaper than any other place

So for me if I have a chance I would go to Texas without thinking but it's really hard to get in to their program

Hello everyone
I would love to help out. I know what it's like going to your first interview. It's like you're about to hit a brick wall, and you don't know when.
I interviewed a UOP and UColorado so far. Here's what I have to say
(wait listed at both schools by the way);

1) Interview experience (eg. what questions you were asked)

UOP: Very delightful. Everything was carefully organized, and the staff were ok. They try their best to be helpful and put the interviewees at ease.
Q's: Tell me about your school, why UOP, why pay so much money for school, what are your future plans.

UC: Hmm ... let me just put it this way. UOP was much better organized. This is UC 3rd class for the advanced standing program, so they have limited experience with this kind of program. And boy, does it show.
I would not expect much. I will be re-applying anyways. I need my degree plus the University has a very good reputation.
Q's: How did you know about our program, Do you plan on staying in colorado, what are your future plans, what did you do while assisting, tell me about your family. More personaly Q's if anything.

2) Practical exam (eg. what you were asked to do)

UOP: #8 PFM, #30-MO Amal. (prep only)

UC: #3 PFM, #30-MO Amal. (prep only), several "wax" excercises. They give you two types of wax (red and orange) and ask you to make different shapes of wax on a piece of paper/card they give you. Also they give you a rod of green wax/compound and ask you to carve a box into it.
So as you see, it's nothing you can prepare for. But you will have plenty of time.

3) How you prepared for the practical exam

UOP: Practice at office. At UOP they will give you a booklet detailing every single step of the preps. which they will ask of you to perform, and it is very detailed. No worries there. Just stay calm.

UC: Practice at office.

Interviews: UOP, UC, NYU, UF
Declined NYU (last year), going to UF interview this month.
Accepted: ?

Hello, I have recently joined SDN and have no idea about interviews. I have received one interview from call from Nova and have some case presentations. i have been provided the cases and will be asked to present on one out of those four. Can I receive help regarding that? I have no source to receive help. It will be helpful if someone can help me in this.

Hello everyone! Thought I'd share my interview experience. Went to 5 interviews this year.

University of Washington, Seattle

3 DAY interview- 2 day bench exam and the last day is for the interview.

Day 1: Morning session- 4 hours to practice what we know on the mannequin, and to familiarize ourselves with the instruments and burs provided. They provide a very extensive prostho, endo and restorative kit (including polishing burs etc). Nothing unfamiliar to work with. I was personally pretty happy and excited about the instruments they provided. The kit had everything! There are a couple of current students (IDDS and traditional) to help you with questions at this time. Everyone is really helpful, understanding and courteous.

Afternoon session- 4 hours to prep a class 2 amalgam (lower molar), class 3 composite (upper CI), restore a prepared class 2 with amalgam (upper molar) and restore a prepared class 4 with composite (upper CI). The latter two are prepared by current students so they have pretty standard measurements. I noticed that some of my adjacent teeth were damaged so I had to get them changed before my exam. Also, the typo does not close! So it is tough to check if you've gotten your class 4 restored properly.

Day 2:

Morning session- 4 hours to isolate an upper CI (using rubber dam and clamp), create axis opening and complete an RCT. The first two steps are checked by the invigilator and graded immediately. During the RCT we had to take 4 radiographs- one standard x ray prior to begg treatment, one for working length, and the last 2 with completed obturation in 2 different planes. There is a real time crunch felt at this session. Last one hour especially. They use a manual developer/fixer so that takes up a little more time to get through.

Afternoon session- 4 hours to survey an upper and lower cast, wax up of an upper CI (with inlay wax), prepare a provisional crown for a lower molar (with a sub gingival margin and very damaged surrounding gingiva) and prepare an upper molar for receiving a PFM. Time crunch once again!

University at Buffalo

2 day interview- 1st day bench and the 2nd day is the interview.

DAY 1: 2 one on one interviews with faculty. Each interview averaged about 20 mins. Interviews will be longer if they like you (that is the general trend I've noticed) Nothing too stressful. On my second interview I was asked a few case scenarios.

Day 2: Extensive bench exam, 5 preps in 5 hours. We had to make a Class 2 amalgam prep, Class 2 composite prep, Class 2 amalgam restoration, Class 2 composite restoration and an upper PFM on a CI. I experienced a real time crunch at this exam. It is definitely stressful. The equipment is amazing though. Each candidate gets his very own isolated set up and a range of instruments. We were even given polishing burs. Instructions given for the exam are very clear so there is usually no need to ask additional questions to your proctors. Still, 2 proctors are assigned to 10 students.

Note: The teeth we were asked to restore with amalgam and composite had very wide cavities. I’d used 2 pellets of composite and amalgam each! The teeth they use are traditional Kilgore prepped teeth, so you can always practice restoring them prior to your exam.

University of Colorado, Denver

One day interview! Bench and personal interview all in one long day.

The interview held here is more stressful than in other schools. Its 45 min long and panel based. 2 faculty and 2 IDP (current or alumni) interview you. They go over your resume and ask you the usual questions (what are your goals, where do you see yourself in 5 years? What do you like to do in your spare time? Tell us about your family etc). They also ask a few ethic based questions. They are trying to judge the kind of person you are. Its tricky answering those questions. Note: Try to be as honest as possible when answering. I interviewed with this school twice, and the second time I interviewed I was just honest. I didn't try to make up a flowery answer (which is what most people try to do- Don't!)

Bench- 3 components. Class 2 amalgam prep on a lower posterior tooth, FGC on an upper post tooth and wax carving. The handpicks they use are electric and are very heavy. I wasn't used to using such a heavy handpiece. Practicing before hand will make a world of a difference! For wax carving- they give you red rope wax and blue inlay wax and ask you to make certain designs using it. It’s very simple and you just need to follow the written instructions carefully. It's actually the most fun thing to do at the bench! Being dentists, this part is the best for us :D

Pacific

2 day interview- 1st day personal interview and the 2nd day is the bench.

Interview- 20 min personal interview with 1 faculty member. Very casual and fun! Good opportunity to ask questions about the school. Faculty is very nice and friendly and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable!

Bench- 2 preps- 3 hours. PFM on an upper ant tooth, Class 2 MO amalgam prep on a post tooth. There is also a 15 min critical thinking assessment- this is a case study and is a written exam. It is presented to you before the bench exam.

University of California, San Francisco

2 day interview- 1st day interview and 2nd day bench exam.

Interview- very casual, 30 min with 2 faculty. They ask you 3 case scenarios during the interview- no right or wrong answers, they just want to see how you think.

Bench exam- 3 hours- 2 preps. FGC and PFM.

I've been accepted at UW, Colorado and Pacific this year. I am choosing UW :) Best of luck to everyone!
Hi there, thanks a bunch for sharing your iv experiences. Itis a great help. I actually needed to get in detail information about Colorado. Could you please message me or reply to this post exactly what is required for Colorado bench exam. What should I practice and which teeth(kilgore or columbia) . What are the kind of designs that they ask us to make with the wax. Are there any case based questions as well.
I know that's like a lot of questions but if you can tell me more about it, i will be very grateful to you. My interview is on may 21st
Thanks in advance

Hi there, thanks a bunch for sharing your iv experiences. Itis a great help. I actually needed to get in detail information about Colorado. Could you please message me or reply to this post exactly what is required for Colorado bench exam. What should I practice and which teeth(kilgore or columbia) . What are the kind of designs that they ask us to make with the wax. Are there any case based questions as well.
I know that's like a lot of questions but if you can tell me more about it, i will be very grateful to you. My interview is on may 21st
Thanks in advance

Hi doc R, even i have my interview on may 21. did you get any more information about the bench test?

I like visiting this site because I get the chance to interact with like minded individuals. It is always a nice thing to read the experience of others during their life as medical students and interns. Thanks a lot for providing us with this forum. Are you aware that you can get term paper revising help by clicking on his link: Science Term Paper Revising Help

Hi doc R, even i have my interview on may 21. did you get any more information about the bench test?
Hi did you get any info about bench test? This year the wax exercise is different than previous years.

Hi is anyone willing to share accommodation for Colorado interview on June 18.

Anybody interested in sharing accommodation for Umich on 15 July

Hello, has anyone heard about University of Missouri, Kansas City? They say they have Advanced Standing Program, but its hard to find info on their web.. Has anyone know application cycle and admission dates and deadlines? Other info also would be helpful ! thanks

Hi, anyone interested for accommodation for University of Michigan for 25th July, please Pm me. Thanks.

Anybody interested in sharing accommodation for Umich on 15 July
Can u give me a gross idea of bench test ..like how many preps are asked and is it table top or strictly mannequin

Can u give me a gross idea of bench test ..like how many preps are asked and is it table top or strictly mannequin
Mine interview is on July 25 th and am not clear about the above questions
I would b really thankful to u if u could plz reply

Any one interested in sharing accommodation For LOMA LINDA 7th

Anyone taking the bench exam and interview at LLU this August 2016?

Anyone who has taken the bench test/ interview last year?

May I know some info what prep you had to do and was the interview by group or individually?

Thanks!!!

I am new to this platform..I have recently applied to the advanced standing program for International dentists . I plan to prepare for the bench test.
Can anyone guide me which one is better for bench test preparation : International dentist Central or Duggan classes?
Anyone willing to share his/her the bench test prep kit?