Interview Experience Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TallScrubs

Coude Rockin' Everywhere
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since just about every thread in the school-specific discussion area has kids asking what their interviews will be like, I decided to make this thread to centralize that. The interview invite and experience thread is really just an interview invite/acceptance thread.

I'll go first. I interviewed at one school, my top choice, and was accepted so I withdrew the rest of my interviews.

PCOM

Time: Usually from 8:00 am to 12:30 or 1:00 pm

Structure: First, the group of interviewees gets to have breakfast (paid for by PCOM so do not be afraid to eat like a champ; some people get lunch) with a member of student development and perhaps a student-ambassador or two. This talk is real informal and you can talk about virtually anything.

After the little breakfast, everyone heads down to the fishbowl (waiting room of admissions office) to begin interviews. It all starts with a little speech by assistant direct of admissions and the direct of admissions. Interviews started from around 9 (maybe 930) with the last interview given at 1130 am. After interviews, a lovely tour is given and lasts a half hour.

There are two interview rooms. Room 1 has three people in it: admissions staff member, osteopathic physician, and a student; this is the larger of the two rooms. Room 2 has two people in it: admissions staff member and osteopathic physician; this is the smaller room.

Interview: It seemed that most everybody's (10 of us total) interview was between 20 and 45 minutes in length, mine being the latter. I was asked the following questions: 1) why DO?, 2) describe you academic performance, 3) what do you like to do in your spare time?...to relieve stress?, 4) tell me about [fill in the blank EC/volunteer experience], 5) tell me about this class [fill in a class on your transcript]. I believe that was all i was asked. The atmosphere of the interview was pretty relaxed; I was nervous only because of the implications of the interview, not because they were grilling the hell out of me. There were some smiles, there were some smirks.

Post-interview: After the interview, you can take a tour but it is truly optional; I chose to decline since I had already been on one and had micro lab within the hour (i go to a nearby school). Additionally, the awesome guy at the front desk gave us cards with our interviewers names and emails if we wanted to send thank-you emails. You were also given free parking passes to get out of the garage.

Overall grade: I cannot give a grade since I have no other interviews to compare. That being said, I had a really good experience and received my acceptance two weeks to the day after my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since just about every thread in the school-specific discussion area has kids asking what their interviews will be like, I decided to make this thread to centralize that. The interview invite and experience thread is really just an interview invite/acceptance thread.

I'll go first. I interview at one school, my top choice, and was accepted so I withdrew the rest of my interviews.

PCOM

Time: Usually from 8:00 am to 12:30 or 1:00 pm

Structure: First, the group of interviewees gets to have breakfast (paid for by PCOM so do not be afraid to eat like a champ; some people get lunch) with a member of student development and perhaps a student-ambassador or two. This talk is real informal and you can talk about virtually anything.

After the little breakfast, everyone heads down to the fishbowl (waiting room of admissions office) to begin interviews. It all starts with a little speech by assistant direct of admissions and the direct of admissions. Interviews started from around 9 (maybe 930) with the last interview given at 1130 am. After interviews, a lovely tour is given and lasts a half hour.

There are two interview rooms. Room 1 has three people in it: admissions staff member, osteopathic physician, and a student; this is the larger of the two rooms. Room 2 has two people in it: admissions staff member and osteopathic physician; this is the smaller room.

Interview: It seemed that most everybody's (10 of us total) interview was between 20 and 45 minutes in length, mine being the latter. I was asked the following questions: 1) why DO?, 2) describe you academic performance, 3) what do you like to do in your spare time?...to relieve stress?, 4) tell me about [fill in the blank EC/volunteer experience], 5) tell me about this class [fill in a class on your transcript]. I believe that was all i was asked. The atmosphere of the interview was pretty relaxed; I was nervous only because of the implications of the interview, not because they were grilling the hell out of me. There were some smiles, there were some smirks.

Post-interview: After the interview, you can take a tour but it is truly optional; I chose to decline since I had already been on one and had micro lab within the hour (i go to a nearby school). Additionally, the awesome guy at the front desk gave us cards with our interviews names and emails if we wanted to send thank-you emails. You were also given free parking passes to get out of the garage.

Overall grade: I cannot give a grade since I have no other interviews to compare. That being said, I had a really good experience and received my acceptance two weeks to the day after my interview.

Great very nicely formated post . Thanks for sharing.
I am very happy for you. It is one of my top choice but have not heared anything from them. Waiting for an interview invite.

thanks