Interview: guys, what to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paulynices

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For men: What are you wearing/what is expected attire for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wearing a suit and tie. I think that's what most guys wear. I'm just happy the interview is before the tour. I don't mind suits, but suits outside in Memphis in the summer. Ick...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a cheap suite, which is all I can afford at the moment due to the ridiculous nature of the PTCAS application process and GRE reporting. I will certainly not be looking like I just walked off a Mad Men set. I'm sure there will be plenty of applicants decked out from head to toe in the latest GQ fashion update. Personally, I feel like the whole interview process is a sham for a variety of reasons. A few programs feel the same.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope your question is more asking what specific type or color of shirt/suit/tie combo should you wear. Because if you weren't aware that you needed to wear a suit and tie to a graduate school interview I'm a little worried for you lol...

When in doubt it is almost always better to be dressed a little to nicely than to be dressed not nice enough.

I have a cheap suite, which is all I can afford at the moment due to the ridiculous nature of the PTCAS application process and GRE reporting. I will certainly not be looking like I just walked off a Mad Men set. I'm sure there will be plenty of applicants decked out from head to toe in the latest GQ fashion update. Personally, I feel like the whole interview process is a sham for a variety of reasons. A few programs feel the same.

:lol: Too true man...you sound like you are starting to hit the wall with this application process just like I am...this thing of constantly relying on tons of people to be willing to do things for you that is a pain in the butt for them, purely out of altruism, is starting to wear on me...not to mention the raping my wallet has taken at the hands of ETS...

Sorry for the tangent :D

:lol: Too true man...you sound like you are starting to hit the wall with this application process just like I am...this thing of constantly relying on tons of people to be willing to do things for you that is a pain in the butt for them, purely out of altruism, is starting to wear on me...not to mention the raping my wallet has taken at the hands of ETS...

Sorry for the tangent :D

Yeah it's just too over the top. On average, we are already over paying for tuition. That's a whole separate topic and I'm not complaining, but it is a real concern for sure. Skype interviews should be norm with an in person interview up to the discretion of the student. Unless you are a true home run in all areas of the application, most students have to apply to a handful of programs and interview at least a couple of the potential invites. My top two choices don't even participate in the interview process. One schools claims that they feel it doesn't help screen for successful applicants, and I tend to agree. Some people are great at putting on a show, some people not so much.

I'm hoping to gain a quick acceptance, pay a deposit, and then have the ability to pick and choose the remaining invites (if they come) at my own discretion. We need more power!! hah.

I hope your question is more asking what specific type or color of shirt/suit/tie combo should you wear. Because if you weren't aware that you needed to wear a suit and tie to a graduate school interview I'm a little worried for you lol...

When in doubt it is almost always better to be dressed a little to nicely than to be dressed not nice enough.

Thank you

I will be wearing a suit and tie, of course. I'm having my interview over Skype, and some friends have tried t argue that it's pointless to wear pants, but god forbid I have to get up for some reason... so I will be wearing nice pants.

Now the question for me becomes: heaphones/earbuds? Microwave or curtains in the background? And most important: how to look alert and awake at 2:00 am on a Thursday morning.

What if you've already been accepted to programs and now doing site visits in order to pick a program?Wondering if business casual might be acceptable? Maybe I should play it safe and just wear a suit.

Definitely wearing a suit and tie to the interview. I actually had a suit tailored for me a few months ago before the cycle started, not specifically for this application cycle but just to have a nice suit for any upcoming formal events I may have in the future. I have to say, a tailored made suit is a world of difference and it doesn't have to be expensive. I actually got my suit from express on sale and used a whole mess of coupons, in which I was able to get a $500+ suit down to $150. Not bad if I say so... and then another $70 for all the tailoring. Glad I got it though....

What if you've already been accepted to programs and now doing site visits in order to pick a program?Wondering if business casual might be acceptable? Maybe I should play it safe and just wear a suit.

I would go business casual if you've already been accepted and just doing a site visit. You've already been accepted and I don't believe they would retract that invite because you didn't look your best during the site visit. But if they did... that's messed up. LOL!

I would go business casual if you've already been accepted and just doing a site visit. You've already been accepted and I don't believe they would retract that invite because you didn't look your best during the site visit. But if they did... that's messed up. LOL!

Agreed, slacks and a nice long-sleeved shirt would be good for a site visit where you've already been accepted. It must be nice to have the luxury of being choosy! :D

Agreed, slacks and a nice long-sleeved shirt would be good for a site visit where you've already been accepted. It must be nice to have the luxury of being choosy! :D

Definitely must be nice... *sigh*

Thanks for the feedback! Business casual it is.

Good luck to everyone!