Interview Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Residency Pleas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen these threads in the past, so I figured we'd get one started now. I'd toss my thoughts out there, but I haven't done any interviews. Anyone want to let us know what they've seen out there?

Members don't see this ad.

Any impressions/feedback you post here, please make an effort to post it in the residency interview feedback. Check out the feedback, there are some current postings there. I personally have posted and will continue to post my interview feedbacks there. Here's the direct site if you have trouble finding it: http://more.studentdoctor.net/residency.php

Good luck to you all!

I've been posting on the site eag has been pushing. Look for my reviews there because I'm too tired to write them out twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on posting to the residency review site as well, but I am going to wait until I have done more interviews so that I can more fairly assess between places.

am I the only one that likes the review threads better than the site?

FYI: you are able to edit your feedbacks at anytime

I prefer scrolling through the interview feedback threads, too, because it's easier and more efficient to skim through and glean what information may be helpful. I also think the form contains information that is unnecessary (e.g., how many hours did you spend traveling? But there is no information on where the person started his/her trip from so it's never relevant. It isn't going to change how many hours it'll take me to get there from where I am, or influence my decision to apply to that program). Also, I like the threads because what matters most to me are not what comes in those fields with pull-down menus, but in the written descriptions about the interview experience. Some of the feedback posts, I've noticed, are partially filled out but don't have descriptions.

That said, I will post reviews on the feedback page when I get a chance next month. I do appreciate that people have posted their impressions already. Many of my interviews are in December with some in January. Good luck to everyone during these next few months!

agree that lots of the nuance are lost in the drop down boxes - like how do you rank "culture". I'll probably post to both, but I think threads are a lot more helpful.

I have had a great deal of problems with the residency interview feedback site. It has timed me out and not kept the information I typed in. I spent about 45 minutes on my feedback and it was all erased. I am not sure if others have had the same issues, but many of the posts on the site are empty with no useful information (seems like the site may be timing out so things just get lost and empty posts are put in their places). I see the utility of the site, but it is rather upsetting to have to re-enter information when it is erased. I did not bother doing so because I did not want to waste another 30-45 minutes rewriting my comments. Does anyone want to start an interview feedback thread?

agree that lots of the nuance are lost in the drop down boxes - like how do you rank "culture". I'll probably post to both, but I think threads are a lot more helpful.

hey drj2b, just saw you were from Pittsburgh.... the new hospital is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm not crazy about the site either. I think the last years interview threads were better. Although I do think that the feedback site is a good idea, especially for those of us hoping to stay anonymous during the interview process.

I have had a great deal of problems with the residency interview feedback site. It has timed me out and not kept the information I typed in. I spent about 45 minutes on my feedback and it was all erased. n interview feedback thread?

Maybe you can type up your feedback in Word, and then cut and paste it when you are ready. That might help prevent you from timing out, and losing your feedback. Just a thought.

I'm not crazy about the site either. I think the last years interview threads were better. Although I do think that the feedback site is a good idea, especially for those of us hoping to stay anonymous during the interview process.

The OB forum had kind of a neat idea a cycle or two ago where someone set up a common username for people to post their interview impressions, and they posted the password for anyone to use, so that reviews could stay anonymous...I don't remember how well it worked or how long it lasted or anything, but it was an interesting thought. The drawbacks, of course, are that it requires a good deal of trust in your fellow man, and I think it may violate some of the terms of service agreement kind of stuff...

I think that the people in the Psychiatry forum have appointed one person to post others' reviews of programs so that only one person will know who originally wrote the review (and I imagine anyone with administrative privileges that allow access others' PMs...but I doubt any admin is going to be that interested in the author of the reviews unless they are wildly inappropriate). That way, you only have to trust one "fellow man" to keep everyone else anonymous.