Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChickenGumb2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By when have most programs offered invitations for interviews? I just wanted to know what to expect!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great! Thank you so much for your information. Is it common to have an offer for a phone interview first? I wasn't sure if that was standard practice for most sites.

Last year I started getting invites mid-January. I believe my latest invite was early February (for an early March interview).

Great! Thank you so much for your information. Is it common to have an offer for a phone interview first? I wasn't sure if that was standard practice for most sites.

I wouldn't say it's overly common, but some places do use phone interviews.

Any interview invites yet? I am also glued to my inbox. I can't wait for this whole process to be done and over with. :)

You'll probably receive a phone call if you get an invite to an interview... otherwise.. expect the dreaded rejection e-mail

seriously? damn I thought they would send out invites through emails but i guess they are bad news damn

seriously? damn I thought they would send out invites through emails but i guess they are bad news damn

A classmate of mine received an interview invite through email. She submitted her info on Dec. 30th and received the invite on Jan. 2nd.

So there is hope. ;)

A classmate of mine received an interview invite through email. She submitted her info on Dec. 30th and received the invite on Jan. 2nd.

So there is hope. ;)

jesus that's a fast invite she must be a gunner lol but thanks for the info, now I don't have to dread the emails!

I submitted for one program on the 26th, and received an email invite on the 31st...

Also received one email from a director that said "your PhORCAS application is complete and we will be in touch in the next 2 weeks"

So there is hope. ;)

That is quick...we'll have all of ours out by Thurs of next week...will start inviting candidates on Monday in addition to the few we already invited!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted on Dec. 24th and haven't heard a peep from any programs. With all the crap PhORCAS has been pulling, I'm getting a little paranoid that nothing went through or that my application was rejected by every place. Ah. I guess I just need to learn some patience. :p

I submitted on Dec. 24th and haven't heard a peep from any programs. With all the crap PhORCAS has been pulling, I'm getting a little paranoid that nothing went through or that my application was rejected by every place. Ah. I guess I just need to learn some patience. :p

When is the deadline? Each program is different, so they might be waiting until the deadline to invite people. I would say typically you start to hear 1-2 weeks after the deadline and ususally by the end of January.

When is the deadline? Each program is different, so they might be waiting until the deadline to invite people. I would say typically you start to hear 1-2 weeks after the deadline and ususally by the end of January.

Thank you for the information! The deadlines just barely passed for most of my programs. There are a few programs that I applied to where the deadline is 1/6-1/10. I'll worry more when January is close to being over. :D

You'll probably receive a phone call if you get an invite to an interview... otherwise.. expect the dreaded rejection e-mail

So it's for sure that you will hear from them one way or another? So every place, even if they reject you will let you know where you stand? I was also curious if most programs use a rubric to decide who to interview where you are judged as a whole, or if you have say a low gpa that will automatically disqualify you?

I'm wishing and Hoping! keeping my fingers crossed. One place told me they received my info, and were going to get back to me in 2-3 weeks.

So it's for sure that you will hear from them one way or another? So every place, even if they reject you will let you know where you stand? I was also curious if most programs use a rubric to decide who to interview where you are judged as a whole, or if you have say a low gpa that will automatically disqualify you?

It isn't for sure that every program will contact you to let you know your status either way - I will say that most will do so, however

Most applications are looking at as a whole package, but a low GPA will get you weeded out much more quickly...it all depends how you compare to the rest of the applicants.

as of 1/6/13, 1 interview, 1 acknowledgement of materials received, and have not heard anything from 8 programs

as of 1/6/13, 1 interview, 1 acknowledgement of materials received, and have not heard anything from 8 programs

Yeah, I applied to 10 as well, and have 0 acknowledgement of anything. Just staying patient though.

As of today, 1 on-site interview, 1 phone interview and waiting to hear from 6 other programs.

Would you guys mind posting which programs specifically you have heard from so we can all get a sense of which ones have begun responding and which ones are still reviewing materials? I know it would help to reduce some of my anxiety...

Congrats so far guys. I'm still waiting. I really hope everything was received without any issues.

For the applicants who've received interviews already, when did you submit your applications?
ps - Congrats!!

Congrats so far guys. I'm still waiting. I really hope everything was received without any issues.
it's interesting that you say that. I submitted my applications to 6 sites, and only ONE of those 6 sites told me about an issue (no letter uploaded).

Now i'm even MORE worried.

The only issue I think I could have had was with my reference letters, but I talked to phorcas and they said they could see letters uploaded, so I think that was fine. I think I'm just being impatient.

The only issue I think I could have had was with my reference letters, but I talked to phorcas and they said they could see letters uploaded, so I think that was fine. I think I'm just being impatient.

You are, it is still early...we had a 1/2 deadline and only sent out just over 1/3 of our invites today and a few previously to candidates who got their stuff in early. We plan to hand out the rest by the end of the week. We also have a few "back ups" in case people turn down the interview.

You are, it is still early...we had a 1/2 deadline and only sent out just over 1/3 of our invites today and a few previously to candidates who got their stuff in early. We plan to hand out the rest by the end of the week. We also have a few "back ups" in case people turn down the interview.

I know. That's something I need to work on. :oops: I'm just really worried because of all the troubles I've been having with PhORCAS.

Do programs notify students if they "reject" them or do you just assume the program isn't interested if after awhile you never hear anything (like close to match time).

Congrats to those of you who have received an interview. I submitted mine late due to issues with PhORCAS. I was contacted by one program to let me know they could not see one of my reference letters. I contacted PhORCAS and they fixed the problem.

Do programs notify students if they "reject" them or do you just assume the program isn't interested if after awhile you never hear anything (like close to match time).

I got a rejection notification from every single program that rejected me last year. One of the rejections didn't come until March, but I assumed that I was rejected there as I knew people who received interview invites to that program. Also, I had one program send me an invite on February 8th, so just because you haven't received anything by February doesn't mean that you won't get invited to an interview with that program.

I got a rejection notification from every single program that rejected me last year. One of the rejections didn't come until March, but I assumed that I was rejected there as I knew people who received interview invites to that program. Also, I had one program send me an invite on February 8th, so just because you haven't received anything by February doesn't mean that you won't get invited to an interview with that program.

Thanks for the information! Rejections sucks, but I rather know than to be left wondering.

Are invites/rejections coming through (mail, email,phone calls, or other?) please explain... I'm sure it's program specific, but I'm curious

Are invites/rejections coming through (mail, email,phone calls, or other?) please explain... I'm sure it's program specific, but I'm curious

Both of my invites came through email. But I do think it is highly program specific.

Both of my invites came through email. But I do think it is highly program specific.

Thank you.. I agree as well on the program specific... Did the email inform you to call the program?...

I also received an interview invite today. It was sent via email, with a list of possible dates. All I had to do is email them back. No phone calls were needd.

Congratulations to those who have invites! I'm in the camp with those who haven't heard anything yet - you are not alone!

This process is more stressful than I anticipated. Best of luck to all of us!

So yesterday I received an email from a candidate program I met briefly at Midyear from PA inviting me out for an interview, the only thing is I didn't even apply! So I guess I'm looking for some thoughts or words of wisdom in relation to my own thoughts on it that I've gone back and forth on:

I applied to 12 programs all in the North East (mostly NY and PA, none in cities on the level of NYC or anything like that) after already narrowing this down from 20 after advice from multiple mentors on the # to apply to. That means I took out this program because I already would rank 12 programs above them. I am also in the middle of an inpatient rotation now at my #1 residency choice through most of the interview season with an understanding preceptor who supports my interviewing without holding it against me as they are also one of my mentors, but I also do not want to add more burden to my preceptor as well as bug the writers who already wrote me 12 letters. I think it will be difficult to make a good letter of intent for them and do well on an interview when they already know their program wouldn't be my first pick otherwise I would've applied. My gut decision is to be confident in myself and those programs I applied to and that I will hopefully at least get about half of the interviews I applied to!

On the other hand, I don't know how I'll live with myself if I don't take this interview and then find out I was rejected interviews from everywhere else I applied to for one reason or another. It makes me also go back and forth questioning myself as I haven't received any invites yet for a program deadline on 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 2 on 1/5, and one on 1/7 so far (although this is quite early to be worrying right?). My GPA is ~3.3 which makes me feel really down after comparing to the other forum topic on previous resident applicant stats but I hope I have what would be considered a very strong curriculum vitae including: 2 years of inpatient intern experience, lots of inpatient and clinical ambulatory rotations, a class officer position that involved a lot of activity since 1st year, activities and leadership within multiple organizations including founding president for one of them, research experience, presentation experience throughout school/on P4 rotations, and a lot of volunteer experience too. Like I said my gut is to just try and keep some confidence in myself and my ability to obtain interviews from those 12 but looking at the previous stats forum further questioned me to the point where I'm looking for a couple second opinions.

Thanks for anyone who provides any words of wisdom! Good luck to everyone and here's hoping we all get the interviews we are hoping for!!

So yesterday I received an email from a candidate program I met briefly at Midyear from PA inviting me out for an interview, the only thing is I didn't even apply! So I guess I'm looking for some thoughts or words of wisdom in relation to my own thoughts on it that I've gone back and forth on:

I applied to 12 programs all in the North East (mostly NY and PA, none in cities on the level of NYC or anything like that) after already narrowing this down from 20 after advice from multiple mentors on the # to apply to. That means I took out this program because I already would rank 12 programs above them. I am also in the middle of an inpatient rotation now at my #1 residency choice through most of the interview season with an understanding preceptor who supports my interviewing without holding it against me as they are also one of my mentors, but I also do not want to add more burden to my preceptor as well as bug the writers who already wrote me 12 letters. I think it will be difficult to make a good letter of intent for them and do well on an interview when they already know their program wouldn't be my first pick otherwise I would've applied. My gut decision is to be confident in myself and those programs I applied to and that I will hopefully at least get about half of the interviews I applied to!

On the other hand, I don't know how I'll live with myself if I don't take this interview and then find out I was rejected interviews from everywhere else I applied to for one reason or another. It makes me also go back and forth questioning myself as I haven't received any invites yet for a program deadline on 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 2 on 1/5, and one on 1/7 so far (although this is quite early to be worrying right?). My GPA is ~3.3 which makes me feel really down after comparing to the other forum topic on previous resident applicant stats but I hope I have what would be considered a very strong curriculum vitae including: 2 years of inpatient intern experience, lots of inpatient and clinical ambulatory rotations, a class officer position that involved a lot of activity since 1st year, activities and leadership within multiple organizations including founding president for one of them, research experience, presentation experience throughout school/on P4 rotations, and a lot of volunteer experience too. Like I said my gut is to just try and keep some confidence in myself and my ability to obtain interviews from those 12 but looking at the previous stats forum further questioned me to the point where I'm looking for a couple second opinions.

Thanks for anyone who provides any words of wisdom! Good luck to everyone and here's hoping we all get the interviews we are hoping for!!
Go for it! What could it hurt? At the very worst, you get interview experience!

submitted on 1/6, got my first interview invite this morning by phone call :)

@Buffalo89 You should go for it! Pharmacy is a small world, you may end up working for/with them in the future

I would agree! If they have you an interview during midyear, they must have seen something they liked. So go for it.

I agree if they offered you an interview and you didn't even apply, go for it. I am in a similar situation as you, there are some programs I have not applied to yet because I had a huge list but cut it down to 12. I met with a ton of programs at Midyear, some I cut off immediately, and I added some as well. There are some programs that I liked but since I applied to 12 I thought it was excessive to apply to more programs. I am just going off confidence that I will get some interviews...I hope...GOOD LUCK!!!

I feel like me applying to 6 places is way too low compared to a lot of you all.

I feel like me applying to 6 places is way too low compared to a lot of you all.

6 is a good number. I have been told by several preceptors and previous applicants that 6 - 10 is the desired range. I never thought I would apply to so many. I am looking at combined 2 yr programs, so I applied to most of the ones that offer what I am looking for.

6 is a good number. I have been told by several preceptors and previous applicants that 6 - 10 is the desired range. I never thought I would apply to so many. I am looking at combined 2 yr programs, so I applied to most of the ones that offer what I am looking for.

Good luck, are you looking todo management?