Interview Invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection from South Texas VAMC. Sadface.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything from the San Francisco/Bay Area part of Cali? PGY1 hospital groups or managed care, specifically....

Glad I'm not alone; I believe the application deadline was Jan 20th so I wouldn't worry too much about that one right now.

Anyone heard from University of Tennessee Medical Center?

I interviewed there today for PGY2 and they were interviewing PGY1 candidates as well

Members don't see this ad :)
got a little discouraged this week after a few rejections, but got to kick off my weekend with an invite

I'm still waiting on three. Ugh. I just want to know either way so I can have it in my mind. I'm just assuming their all rejections at this point.

I'm still waiting on three. Ugh. I just want to know either way so I can have it in my mind. I'm just assuming their all rejections at this point.
I'm assuming the remainder of mine are rejections too.

But, everything happens for a reason! I'm thrilled with the invites I've received!!

But, everything happens for a reason! I'm thrilled with the invites I've received!!
Exactly! I feel the same way. Make the best of the invites you do have. :)

Same! Planned to have community during this time as well. I completed a rotation there and absolutely loved it.

That's cool you did an out of state rotation. I didn't sign up for any out of state sites because I was too cheap : / I think it would've been fun though. I have a VA rotation coming up, but it will be after applications are done obviously.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 places... all east coast/big cities and a mix of small and large institutions. A lot of the deadlines just passed though. Do some programs not send rejection emails?

I'm still waiting to hear back from 6 places... all east coast/big cities and a mix of small and large institutions. A lot of the deadlines just passed though. Do some programs not send rejection emails?

I didn't receive any communication from two of the programs to which I applied last year. So in my experience, it appears that not every program will send rejections.

I spoke too soon. I just got another invite for an interview, and one of the ones I wanted the most. :D

Reactions: 1 user
Don't forget too that the east coast got hit with a huge storm that has had most schools closed all week and even closed the government one day. So between that and the holiday some programs might be a bit delayed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't like to give up, but I think I'll let go on Kaisers that had one spot with earlier deadlines. It'd be nice if they confirmed rejections :)

On a brighter note, I think we will hear back from many early next wk. I ended up emailing my sites (wanted to limit/reduce flying more than 3x to the opposite coast): "still in review, sending offers and rejections all on same day, early next wk if all goes smoothly" x 3 sites.

Do some programs not send out rejections if you were not offered an interview?

I'm getting worried because even though mine are "east coast" programs they're all in Florida and Georgia... so no issues with the storm. I think I'm just being overly stressed since these had later deadlines.

That makes me sad that some don't send rejections though. I need closure! haha

In my opinion, it's not very courteous for a program to not send a rejection. If you went through the trouble to research the program, write a LOI, get references, and everything else that goes with applying, the least they could do is send you a two-sentence email saying "Thanks, but no thanks."

I just heard back from UNM; it was another rejection. Has anyone heard from Grady in Atlanta?

Did you apply all over the country?

I just heard back from UNM; it was another rejection. Has anyone heard from Grady in Atlanta?

I didn't apply to Grady, but I applied to other hospitals in Atlanta and haven't heard from any... Grady is really cool though.

I'm 3/6 so far for ID programs. Anyone heard from UNM, U of Colorado, or U of Arizona for ID or pgy1?

I didn't apply to Grady, but I applied to other hospitals in Atlanta and haven't heard from any... Grady is really cool though.

I got a rejection from Emory; a buddy of mine got an interview at Northside.

I don't like to give up, but I think I'll let go on Kaisers that had one spot with earlier deadlines. It'd be nice if they confirmed rejections :)

On a brighter note, I think we will hear back from many early next wk. I ended up emailing my sites (wanted to limit/reduce flying more than 3x to the opposite coast): "still in review, sending offers and rejections all on same day, early next wk if all goes smoothly" x 3 sites.
Did the Kaiser sites say that? About early next week I mean.

One rejection today, but still waiting to hear from six programs in the bay area...anyone had news from the San Francisco area/anywhere around the bay?

Thank you for the info mandydp6! When did your friend get the interview invite?

Oh no worries thank you anyways! Has anyone else heard from VA Fresno?

I got a rejection from Emory; a buddy of mine got an interview at Northside.

I applied to Northside last weekend and I haven't heard back. I wonder if waiting until the deadlines for several programs made it look like I'm not serious. I really just obsessed over my LOIs. Did you go to Mercer?

I applied to Northside last weekend and I haven't heard back. I wonder if waiting until the deadlines for several programs made it look like I'm not serious. I really just obsessed over my LOIs. Did you go to Mercer?

I went to UGA. My buddy heard back on Monday. They may take some time to look over apps.

Has anyone heard from VA Los Angeles or Walter Reed??

I went to UGA. My buddy heard back on Monday. They may take some time to look over apps.

Ohh gotcha... I miss Atlanta so much. I'm doing rotations at a regional site. I wonder if I should've applied to more places in smaller cities though. I bet it is extra competitive this year in Atlanta since PCOM is graduating their first class in May.

Has anyone heard from UTMB, Memorial Hermann-Southwest, and South Texas VA PGY1 Programs?

Has anyone heard from VA Los Angeles or Walter Reed??

Walter reeds deadline was today (1/24) so I wouldn't expect they'd say anything to you yet.
Did you hear about what happened to last years residents? It's the reason I and a few of my friends didn't apply there this year.

What happened

They were matched then told due to budget cuts the only way they could complete the residency was if they did it for free. The pgy1 resident early committed for pgy2, didnt apply anywhere else because of this sure thing, then was told the same thing. I did a rotation at one of their satellite sites and heard other things about the program as well that I wont say here but it just didn't seem worth the drama to me.

They were matched then told due to budget cuts the only way they could complete the residency was if they did it for free. The pgy1 resident early committed for pgy2, didnt apply anywhere else because of this sure thing, then was told the same thing. I did a rotation at one of their satellite sites and heard other things about the program as well that I wont say here but it just didn't seem worth the drama to me.

Wow. As much as I'm enjoying my residency, there's no way I could have done it for free. That's just not something I can afford. I guess if you're independently wealthy, it may not be a issue. Do you know if they ended up backing out?

Has anyone heard from a lot of places in the Baltimore/DC area specifically:

Medstar union memorial
Baltimore VA
DC VA
Sibley
Shady Grove Adventist
Reston Hospital

Has anyone heard anything from the San Francisco/Bay Area part of Cali? PGY1 hospital groups or managed care, specifically....

Heard back from UCSF a couple weeks ago. Anyone heard back from Touro (CA) PGY-1s?

Also has anyone noticed a pattern where you'll get your reaches, but your safety PGY-1s didn't send out invites? Heard of this happening to someone else too.

Heard back from UCSF a couple weeks ago. Anyone heard back from Touro (CA) PGY-1s?

Also has anyone noticed a pattern where you'll get your reaches, but your safety PGY-1s didn't send out invites? Heard of this happening to someone else too.

OMG YES!!! Definitely happening to me as well. Do you think the safeties sort of sense they're safeties and don't want to waste an interview spot? That's the only explanation a few friends of mine have come up with for this phenomenon.

Yep. Got rejected by my "safety" program, which I preferred over most of the other programs. I have a bunch of invites for places I didn't expect to even have a chance at.