Interview Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruvuitton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only thing you need to know about euthanasia is that there are a lot of them. And they need our help.

Reactions: 2 users
I prepare by:
  1. Getting to know everything I can about the school.
  2. Looking up my interviewers (if I know who they will be).
  3. Knowing the format of interview day.
  4. Reviewing the main messages I want to convey on interview day (e.g., the "elevator speech")
  5. Reviewing my AMCAS app. and secondary app.
I don't give opinions (e.g., about euthanasia, DNR) unless they are explicitly requested and, even then, I always articulate both sides of the issue. Most important thing, I think, is to be yourself. This is vague though. What I mean is that anything that strikes my conscience as being forced or inauthentic should not be discussed in the interview. Don't stress -- desperation is not seen positively by AdComs, just as it is not seen positively by the opposite sex. :cool:

:clown::chicken::couchpotato:

Members don't see this ad :)
I completely agree with Ace-Co-A. I'll add to his list:
6. Review any research you have participated in...they may ask you to explain the studies and their results.
7. Do you know anyone at that school? Try to speak with him/her beforehand.
8. Perform practice interviews with people who can give honest feedback.

I disagree with the suggestion that you should not mention specialty interests. While it might be helpful to keep an open mind (or at least some tiny fraction of an open mind), it is probably best to openly discuss the aspects of medicine that you find interesting. It shows that you have some focus and possible plan for the future. They may have a particularly strong department in that specialty, or interesting programs in that area, which might make that institution a good fit for you (and vice versa).

Reactions: 1 user
Use SDN interview feedback, know your application very well, review your secondary, read up on the school. Relax, and don't see the interview as something threatening, but as an opportunity to showcase yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
same boat here..but interview in a month or so. Also nervous and I feel like whoever is interviewing me will take apart every single word I say (well they will in a way) and take every single opportunity to put me down (as you can tell my mock interviews have been like this....) D:

Elevator speech? Do tell, please.
Elevators. Love em or hate em, they can raise up humanity, or bring it downwards. All it takes is the mere push of a button. Should they be given such power?

I think what Ace-Co-A is trying to convey is the main idea(s) you want to push out during your interview. Such as "I want to go to this school because: a b and c. I'm a good candidate because x y and z."

Elevators. Love em or hate em, they can raise up humanity, or bring it downwards. All it takes is the mere push of a button. Should they be given such power?

:laugh::claps:great speech!

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you have good answers to the questions/prompts:

1) Tell us a bit about yourself. Keep this one short and sprinkle it with ways to jumpstart the conversation.
2) Why medicine? If you prepare one question, prepare this one.
3) What would you bring to your medical school class?
4) Name your biggest strength/weakness. For weakness, how have you overcome that weakness?
5) If you're a reapplicant, prepare to explain what you think went wrong and how you remedied it. Be succinct.
6) What is your support system in medical school? How would you cope if you were to attend school far from that support system?

Be prepared to explain how your experiences will help you succeed in medical school. Above all, to thine own self stay true. Don't say things to please the adcoms. Say what feels true to you but within reason and with respect to the job you have to get done, which is to sell your interviewers on lobbying for you with the adcom. Good luck!