Interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consuela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe by posting something about an interview... I will soon get one ... :hello:

Anywho, I see a lot of SDN folk who say that they talk about "basketball" or "best food places from hometown," etc., i.e. unrelated Medical school topics during interviews. If for some off-chance (Oh dear lawd, pleasse!!), I receive an interview and it becomes like that - should I TRY to steer it back towards "Why Medicine?" or do I continue with an interview that will probably show my personable-ness (it's a word now.) over desire to attend XYZ school?

Just curious.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't try to steer anything. If the interviewer wants to shoot the breeze, then shoot the breeze.

Reactions: 2 users
While it is nice to solidify your interests in medicine during the interview, the interviewer may be curious to see if you are actually a human and not a medicine regurgitating robot (albeit this would come in handy in the later years...).

Point is, if you're interviewing there, you're considering going there. The interviewer knows that. Don't make every comment "wow I absolutely love this school", but do make that point apparent in the way you present yourself. Don't try to steer it. Be professional, but be human.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe by posting something about an interview... I will soon get one ... :hello:

Anywho, I see a lot of SDN folk who say that they talk about "basketball" or "best food places from hometown," etc., i.e. unrelated Medical school topics during interviews. If for some off-chance (Oh dear lawd, pleasse!!), I receive an interview and it becomes like that - should I TRY to steer it back towards "Why Medicine?" or do I continue with an interview that will probably show my personable-ness (it's a word now.) over desire to attend XYZ school?

Just curious.

Thanks
In each of my interviews, there was some component of "shooting the breeze," but most revolved around my experiences, interests, and future aspirations in medicine. Connect with the interviewer, however best you can. Ideally that will involve a) convincing them that you would be a good medical student and future physician, and b) showing them them that you are a "real" person, with "real" interests and hobbies outside of medicine.

Reactions: 2 users