Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingorion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just scheduled my interview, and I was wondering if it's kosher to bring your wife with you, regarding staying with the medical students. It would save us an arm and a leg in hotel costs, and I'd love for my wife to check out the campus as well.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I'd just be honest and directly e-mail your assigned host and see what they say!

I would say if you bring your wife you should get a hotel.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just scheduled my interview, and I was wondering if it's kosher to bring your wife with you, regarding staying with the medical students. It would save us an arm and a leg in hotel costs, and I'd love for my wife to check out the campus as well.

I think a lot of people might hesitate at that. I'd be okay with it, but I have a big place. Definitely ask first.

I have always read that it is NOT a good idea to bring family to the interview. Second look, sure.

Someone more knowledgeable might have a more definite answer on this.

Definitely don't let your spouse come if you are staying with a host. That could make the host uncomfortable. If she must come, get a hotel.

It's fine to bring her to see the city to see if she'd enjoy living there but definitely do not bring her to the interview day itself. We've had the occasional applicant who brings their significant other (or worse, their parents), and it's INCREDIBLY awkward, especially when the applicant is in their interviews. Also, if you're bringing your wife, rent a hotel. Student hosts are usually paired with same sex applicants and are usually single students (usually the married ones won't volunteer to host). Also, if you stay with a student host, you'll probably be sleeping on a couch, an inflatable mattress, or a twin bed if they happen to have an extra since most med students live in apartments and rarely have extra bedrooms. Residency interviews are a different story.... for most of those interviews, you're encouraged to bring your spouse to dinner with residents the night before... some even have activities for spouse's to do while the applicants are at the interview (go out with resident wives, tour houses in the area, etc).

Reactions: 2 users
I have always read that it is NOT a good idea to bring family to the interview. Second look, sure.

Someone more knowledgeable might have a more definite answer on this.

Definitely don't let your spouse come if you are staying with a host. That could make the host uncomfortable. If she must come, get a hotel.

It's fine to bring her to see the city to see if she'd enjoy living there but definitely do not bring her to the interview day itself. We've had the occasional applicant who brings their significant other (or worse, their parents), and it's INCREDIBLY awkward, especially when the applicant is in their interviews. Also, if you're bringing your wife, rent a hotel. Student hosts are usually paired with same sex applicants and are usually single students (usually the married ones won't volunteer to host). Also, if you stay with a student host, you'll probably be sleeping on a couch, an inflatable mattress, or a twin bed if they happen to have an extra since most med students live in apartments and rarely have extra bedrooms. Residency interviews are a different story.... for most of those interviews, you're encouraged to bring your spouse to dinner with residents the night before... some even have activities for spouse's to do while the applicants are at the interview (go out with resident wives, tour houses in the area, etc).

He specifically said, "regarding staying with the medical students." I hope that means he knows not to bring her to the interview itself.

But just in case. Yeah, don't do that.

Reactions: 1 users
He specifically said, "regarding staying with the medical students." I hope that means he knows not to bring her to the interview itself.

But just in case. Yeah, don't do that.

Haha.... I only say it because people do it. I wish everyone knew better. Also, he mentioned wanting her to see the campus (which you typically only see on the interview day). The worst I've heard about when I sat on an admissions committee was a parent who came and sat in the actual interview with the applicant. So awkward.

Reactions: 1 user
Haha.... I only say it because people do it. I wish everyone knew better. Also, he mentioned wanting her to see the campus (which you typically only see on the interview day). The worst I've heard about when I sat on an admissions committee was a parent who came and sat in the actual interview with the applicant. So awkward.
Haha, I know not to bring her on interview day. I opted to just go by myself, and save the $400 plane ticket.

Reactions: 1 users