interview: retaking mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KK82

BG: 28 on first mcat and 26 on second!!! now that you know...:>

Hi,

I got a 26 on mcat in april and studied for 8 months straight after graduating in 04 summer. I don't know if I will improve (i was getting 29s on practice tests) so i think i really am just a bad bad test taker. I am scared they will ask me in an interview if i am retaking.

if i say no, they will think i am lazy or that i dont think i can do better.

if i say yes, i may still get around the same and that will look bad too.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think your interviewer will ask you if you're going to retake. If he or she does, simply say "I will retake if I need to. That is, if I don't get accepted this year, I will retake the exam and reapply"

KK82 said:
Hi,

I got a 26 on mcat in april and studied for 8 months straight after graduating in 04 summer. I don't know if I will improve (i was getting 29s on practice tests) so i think i really am just a bad bad test taker. I am scared they will ask me in an interview if i am retaking.

i had a stressful time studying for the mcats, because my grandafther passed away, but i still put in all i had. what should i tell them during interviews

KK82 said:
Hi,

i had a stressful time studying for the mcats, because my grandafther passed away, but i still put in all i had. what should i tell them during interviews

whatever you do, do NOT say you are a bad test-taker. med school has a lot of tests...don't give them more ammunition than they already have. good luck :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
KK82 said:
Hi,

Just check off the box on the AMCAS application that you plan on retaking the MCAT. I agree with Brett - you probably won't get too many interviews with that score anyway. However, if you do get an interview, then your application will already say that you are retaking so it shouldn't be much of an issue. I applied last year with a 29 but I checked off that I was taking the August MCAT. I got a 31 on it but didn't get any interviews until after my August scores were released (i.e. I didn't get any interviews with my 29).

so you think you're just a bad test-taker? are you going to let that stop you from giving med apps your best shot? or would you rather focus on becoming a better test-taker, bite the bullet, and do better on the MCAT?

remember even during med school you'll have Step1 and 2 waiting for you, and they are (ostensibly) the mother and father of standardized tests! train yourself to be a better test-taker or continue to struggle in the med cess pool. improving your test-taking is certainly possible.

your call, you can procrastinate and do nothing, or you can decide that you're made of sterner stuff and go out and get it done. i certainly feel that retaking the MCAT can be portrayed as a strength if you're asked about it in interviews - it can be a reflection of your determination and perseverance and a desire to go beyond the status quo and commit to self-improvement. whether it's becoming a doctor or a lawyer or anything else, if we aren't committed to self-improvement then we're shortchanging ourselves and those around us too.

nevertheless, i wish you all the best. :thumbup:

KK82 said:
Hi,