Interview shirt and tie combos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GD26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

With interviews approaching, or already underway for some of you, I am trying to put together what im going to wear. I know there are already threads on suit brands and colors, but I'm talking about specifics like shirt color and pattern, tie color and pattern, and pocket squares.

I have already purchased a solid darkish gray suit which is being tailored, but looking into the details I think I want to wear a purple check shirt (or a solid lightish purple shirt), a purple crossing/stripped tie, and a purple and white polka dotted pocket square. Something like this... but maybe better matching between the shades of purple.

And a quick question, what is everyone's take on having multiple different patterns between shirt, tie, and pocket square? Part of me thinks its a little overdoing it and distracting, but the other part of me thinks solid colors (plain white shirt...etc) are boring and too common? So what does everyone think and what are you guys, and gals, planning on wearing?

94C1IG-3FT863_DPRP_OS_A

1TF-TF786_LPRP_OS_A

screen-shot-2010-12-15-at-12-45-35-pm.png

Members don't see this ad.

Solid white shirt with a maroon tie. You want to be the guy whose personality stood out, not his lime green and pink plaid button down shirt and his pikachu bow tie

lmao.....does that even match? come on bro

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I get what your saying, I just kinda want to mix it up a little. Haha I don't wanna wear the same white shirt and blue tie as another applicant, but I also don't wanna be the only one not wearing a white shirt and blue tie.

Reppin Tom Ford? Nice. For interviews go with a solid color dress shirt, and a minimal tie (not solid color). Tie should not match the shirt, but compliment it. I wouldn't wear a purple shirt to the interview. Just stick with a white shirt bruh, you'll stick out like a Thom Browne piece with anything but a solid white dress shirt.

The shirt is nice but that tie does not match the color of the shirt. I think that shirt will be too hard to find a tie with but if you can find a color that matches Id think it will look nice.

Haha yeah, I know the colors don't match too well, just pattern examples. But then again, colors aren't always supposed to match, as long as theyre from the same family.

And yes sir, big tom Ford fan. But does everyone really only wear white shirts??? How bout a light blue or light purple/lilac color?

That definitely does not match. Still on the topic, I was complemented on my interview several times for not pulling a black suit/white shirt combo. Just dont overdo it.

Solid white shirt with a maroon tie. You want to be the guy whose personality stood out, not his lime green and pink plaid button down shirt and his pikachu bow tie
Literally what I wore and got 3 acceptances last year

Haha The lime green with pink, or white and maroon?

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that most of you men are impressing the hell out of me with your interview attire and attention to hair styles. Like GQ looking ****. And finely tailored suits. Good job. Drives me a little crazy inside. But be assured that I'm in a committed long term relationship.

Btw is it just me or is every male applicant in great or extremely decent shape? I'd just like to thank you guys for caring.

Reactions: 2 users
IMO, if you wear a patterned tie and a patterned shirt your outfit is gonna look way too busy. If you're insistent on wearing a patterned shirt get a solid tie. But I think everything you chose will look good if you just replace the shirt you chose with a solid white shirt. I think a bold patterned tie is much easier to pull off than a bold patterned shirt. Then again, this is just my opinion and fashion can be very subjective. Good luck with your interview(s)!

I am wearing a patterned shirt (not too busy) and a solid tie. I look good in it and I feel great in it...and to me, that's all that matters.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Uh...just no. Do we need to have a sitdown where I teach you how to dress like a professional male? Those ties and shirts absolutely do not go together. Do NOT mix patterns. Either your shirt or tie need to be solid (I would recommend the patterned tie with a solid shirt).

For example, this is me the night before my mock interview with my prehealth advisory committee:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1411825953.954834.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1411825977.021711.jpg

Notice the blue solid shirt with the striped tie. The tie has the same color blue in it and that makes it match and look well put together.

Uh...just no. Do we need to have a sitdown where I teach you how to dress like a professional male? Those ties and shirts absolutely do not go together. Do NOT mix patterns. Either your shirt or tie need to be solid (I would recommend the patterned tie with a solid shirt).

For example, this is me the night before my mock interview with my prehealth advisory committee:

View attachment 185791
View attachment 185792

Notice the blue solid shirt with the striped tie. The tie has the same color blue in it and that makes it match and look well put together.

Now we all know what Daneosaurus looks like. Guess you learn something new everyday.

Reactions: 2 users
Now we all know what Daneosaurus looks like. Guess you learn something new everyday.
:) My wife is a lucky woman.

I'm not afraid to put my pic up on here. I've got photos all over FB for adcoms to see.

Here is the way to go lol.....

upload_2014-9-27_13-8-0.png

or this.....

upload_2014-9-27_13-9-7.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hmm well the patterns absolutely do go together... maybe not for a dental interview, but people a lot more "professional" than you have worn a similar outfits. And in every sense of mixing patterned shirts and ties, they do match.

http://thesnobreport.tumblr.com/post/74869998314/wiwt-mtm-grey-herringbone-3piece-suit-by-scabal

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-23/tom-ford-adds-shirts-and-ties-to-his-online-offerings.html

Not to say that there is anything wrong with your suit combo, and to be honest I don't think that what applicants wear really matters that much anyway, but that is not a very fashionable or exceptional looking outfit. Not that you were going for fashionable, but everyone knows how to look conservative... A black coat and blue shirt goes with absolutely any tie color or pattern, so please don't act like you have some special fashion sense and are in a position to give expert advice.

Whoa, that sounded way too rude. Did not mean to come off like that, my apologies man.

Whoa, that sounded way too rude. Did not mean to come off like that, my apologies man.

Hey man I was joking about the pictures that I put up. It was just to add a little humor. I didn't know it would be taken very seriously. My bad....Honestly, though just try to dress up conservatively like you would normally see (black coat, white shirt, or any dark colored shirt, striped tie that blends in, etc). Kind of like what you see people in office wearing. Dressing up is important, but so is how and what you say at the interview. Whatever works for you man. Good luck with the interview(s)!

Black coats are actually not a great idea and while it isn't a deal breaker it's certainly not what is worn as professional attire in the business world. Sure some schools may not care but others will very much. Business attire usually consists of a gray or navy suit, not black, and a white or light blue shirt. It's pretty simple and it's amazing what a tailored suit can do to make you stick out from other applicants.

It's also amazing how little they care about how you look, as long as you look presentable, relative to your stats and your actual interviews.

It's also amazing how little they care about how you look, as long as you look presentable, relative to your stats and your actual interviews.
And it's also amazing how quickly a purple checkered shirt can make people not take you seriously. But yes you're right for the most part it's just about looking presentable, as long as you do you'll be fine.

Hey man I was joking about the pictures that I put up. It was just to add a little humor. I didn't know it would be taken very seriously. My bad....Honestly, though just try to dress up conservatively like you would normally see (black coat, white shirt, or any dark colored shirt, striped tie that blends in, etc). Kind of like what you see people in office wearing. Dressing up is important, but so is how and what you say at the interview. Whatever works for you man. Good luck with the interview(s)!

Ah no man, haha you were fine. I was referring to my own post, it sounded rude once I re-read it

Black coats are actually not a great idea and while it isn't a deal breaker it's certainly not what is worn as professional attire in the business world. Sure some schools may not care but others will very much. Business attire usually consists of a gray or navy suit, not black, and a white or light blue shirt. It's pretty simple and it's amazing what a tailored suit can do to make you stick out from other applicants.

I agree. However, 14/15 men at one of my interviews were wearing black suits. It really made the guy in the grey suit stand out.

Lets be serious guys, as long as it's nothing too out there it should be fine. I agree with one of the posters above, wear what makes you feel confident and what expresses you. If they're going to reject you solely based on what you're wearing (aka who you are) then you shouldn't probably be going to that school anyway.

That definitely does not match. Still on the topic, I was complemented on my interview several times for not pulling a black suit/white shirt combo. Just dont overdo it.
Congrats.

Just please wear a navy blue/charcoal/light gray suit... no black suit please!

That being said, someone at the UDM interview this weekend was wearing a very sharp mid-blue suit that looked fantastic... if you can pull that off with brown shoes then go for it.

Just please wear a navy blue/charcoal/light gray suit... no black suit please!

That being said, someone at the UDM interview this weekend was wearing a very sharp mid-blue suit that looked fantastic... if you can pull that off with brown shoes then go for it.
dude i have a pinstripe black suit and it looks cleeeeaaaannnn. super sharp.

also, i was the only male present at the interview i attended last week with product in my hair. i dont care how cool or unique your suit is, if your hair is dry and not styled you look like a fool. do your hair fellas

Does this whole 'no black suit' apply to the ladies too? I have a black blazer and pants...

dude i have a pinstripe black suit and it looks cleeeeaaaannnn. super sharp.

also, i was the only male present at the interview i attended last week with product in my hair. i dont care how cool or unique your suit is, if your hair is dry and not styled you look like a fool. do your hair fellas
If you look at my pics earlier in the thread, my suit is also black pinstripe and I fully intend to wear it to all my interviews. Also...with the hair product, be careful with the "wet" look - It can look greasy. I do use product as well (not in the pics on this thread).

We had a group of about 20 kids interviewing for surgery residency positions where I work yesterday, I talked to a couple of them but what I noticed was nearly every single one had a black suit..........the ones with the navy and the charcoal suit looked far more professional for whatever reason. To each their own I guess.

If you look at my pics earlier in the thread, my suit is also black pinstripe and I fully intend to wear it to all my interviews. Also...with the hair product, be careful with the "wet" look - It can look greasy. I do use product as well (not in the pics on this thread).

im not saying your hair has to look wet. who uses "strong hold" gel nowadays anyway? but your hair should appear as though you did it haha, seriously some of the kids in my group literally looked like they rolled out of bed and put on their suit.

Does this whole 'no black suit' apply to the ladies too? I have a black blazer and pants...

Not sure. But I've been wearing a black blazer and black pencil skirt with a white blouse.