Interview Thank You Notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted393595

How important are interview thank you notes? I kinda forgot to send them to any of the schools I've interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad.

Not important. Any decision by the interviewer about your application were made within 12-24 hours of your interview (sometimes, within 12 minutes).

Don't feel guilty or nervous about not having sent them.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any decision by the interviewer about your application were made within 12-24 hours of your interview (sometimes, within 12 minutes).
What is the fastest you've ever made a yes decision on someone? My attending the other day said her record is 5 minutes so she wrapped up the interview asap

My pre-med adviser told me that there are a few MD schools that have waitlisted borderline applicants that did not send thank you letters. Although I haven't seen proof of this, my adviser has been quite insightful throughout this process and I doubt my pre med committee would lie about such a thing. Just my 0.02, I've done it to be respectful and safe

What is the fastest you've ever made a yes decision on someone? My attending the other day said her record is 5 minutes so she wrapped up the interview asap

I thought people went into the interview knowing if they wanted to yes or no

My pre-med adviser told me that there are a few MD schools that have waitlisted borderline applicants that did not send thank you letters. Although I haven't seen proof of this, my adviser has been quite insightful throughout this process and I doubt my pre med committee would lie about such a thing. Just my 0.02, I've done it to be respectful and safe
Correlation does not equal causation.

Reactions: 6 users

Did your committee/adviser definitively rule out all possible confounding variables?

Reactions: 6 users
Did your committee/adviser definitively rule out all possible confounding variables?

No idea, it was just in a packet that was given to me after being "accepted" into the committee letter process. Just thought it was worth mentioning

When I get to sit for adcom I want a cute fuzzy christmas card with a candy and 100 bucks inside...but conflict of interest is a mother isn't it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh snap! You better get ready to re-apply! Not sending a thank you letter or e-mail is equivalent to p*ssing in your interviewer's Post Toasties!

Reactions: 4 users
My experience tells me they are super unimportant. I have sent none and been accepted to 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should these be emails or actual cards?

I send thank you notes on cards via mail because it feels more personal and so that I don't have to receive a response from the interviewer.

Just an addition: one of the speakers at Georgetown's interview day said that thank you letters are used during applicant review, and not doing one will almost surely yield a waitlist at the minimum. Just advice for future applicants there. It was a long and insightful talk, but I was lucky to catch this part. Most of the other people interviewing had glazed looks on their faces by this point. Worked well in my case.

Last edited:
Just an addition: one of the speakers at Georgetown's interview day said that thank you letters are used during applicant review, and not doing one will almost surely yield a waitlist at the minimum. Just advice for future applicants there.
What a close-minded school...who's that guy around here with the hating on Georgetown admissions thread I saw a couple of days ago? Wonder what he thinks

Reactions: 1 users
What a close-minded school...who's that guy around here with the hating on Georgetown thread I saw a couple of days ago?

@Jalby that post has been around years, it's hilarious!

Really? I just read it the other day, looked fairly recent

Woah never mind, just checked...14 years and going

Haha yeah! That thread is a classic. It will never die.

Just an addition: one of the speakers at Georgetown's interview day said that thank you letters are used during applicant review, and not doing one will almost surely yield a waitlist at the minimum. Just advice for future applicants there. It was a long and insightful talk, but I was lucky to catch this part. Most of the other people interviewing had glazed looks on their faces by this point. Worked well in my case.
Put this in the Georgetown thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ff-in-the-country.12212/page-16#post-17234681

One of the things that really made me hate Georgetown, outside of my own personal experience. They only let in the people who commit to going there. After the interview they reject the people they are going to reject and then put almost ever body in the acceptable pile. Then when people write letters of intent they admit only those people.

So I tell everybody, you should write a letter of intent to Georgetown. They are using ****ty tactics on you gus so you should use ****ty tactics back.

One of the things that really made me hate Georgetown, outside of my own personal experience. They only let in the people who commit to going there. After the interview they reject the people they are going to reject and then put almost ever body in the acceptable pile. Then when people write letters of intent they admit only those people.

So I tell everybody, you should write a letter of intent to Georgetown. They are using ****ty tactics on you gus so you should use ****ty tactics back.
Blame a school for wanting students that actually want to go there... Makes sense.

In case you need any more convincing: I have heard back from six schools post-interview and the one where I remembered to send a thank you is the one I didn't get into.

Be upset if they don't thank you for your thank you note. If they couldn't take five minutes out of their day to thank you for your thank you, they either didn't want you that bad or have no manners.

That reminds me... curious, is it common to have your interviewers call or e-mail you congratulating you upon acceptance?

When are you supposed to send the thank you note? The next day?

Guys should I wait 3 days before sending or does that look too desperate? What about avoiding the use of the word "love" in any of our conversations? What if she thinks im being too clingy?

Reactions: 3 users
Blame a school for wanting students that actually want to go there... Makes sense.
Almost all schools accepts their students based on who actually is the best candidates, not who sucks their better. Georgetown stands out in that they only accept people who make firm commitments to go to their school. And that's why I say, if they want to play that kind of game, students should also play that game with them. Why spend your money interviewing at schools less than Georgetown when you can send them a letter saying you will go there and then withdraw if you get in.

I'm sure at other schools sending thank you letters helps you get admitted, but GT is the ONLY school that I know of that it is a deciding factor.

It might be a stupid question, but if you do send a quick email or card to your interviewer, should you send one to your student interviewer also?

Almost all schools accepts their students based on who actually is the best candidates, not who sucks their better. Georgetown stands out in that they only accept people who make firm commitments to go to their school. And that's why I say, if they want to play that kind of game, students should also play that game with them. Why spend your money interviewing at schools less than Georgetown when you can send them a letter saying you will go there and then withdraw if you get in.

I'm sure at other schools sending thank you letters helps you get admitted, but GT is the ONLY school that I know of that it is a deciding factor.

Or maybe they just want the candidates who had all they were looking for and paid strong attention during interview day. Because believe me, a sizable number of the candidates on my interview day were not paying attention.

That reminds me... curious, is it common to have your interviewers call or e-mail you congratulating you upon acceptance?
One of mine did call. Of the hundreds of applicants I have known over a lifetime, however, I have never heard of this happening before.

I think they're thoughtful and polite, but they aren't going to sway the interviewers decision in either direction.... I've been wait-listed at some schools I sent thank you's to, accepted by schools I didn't send thank you's to, and everything in between.

Emailed one school, accepted. Did not email another school, accepted. It does not matter

Interviewed at 4 this year. Accepted at 2, waiting on 1, rejected at 1. Got rejected by the school I sent thank you notes to. Accepted at the schools I didn't.. hope that helps

Interviewed at 4 this year. Accepted at 2, waiting on 1, rejected at 1. Got rejected by the school I sent thank you notes to. Accepted at the schools I didn't.. hope that helps
This is reading too much into it, but I'm sure that's apparent from the course of this thread already