Interview without MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BTR1208

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering applying to pod school... I would take the MCAT Sep 10 but scores wont be available until Oct.

Will schools interview without mcat scores?

I have a 3,8 GPA, tons of volunteer, leadership and working experience/hrs

I would hope for Sep MCAT but may not be ready until Jan, putting scores available in Feb.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

3.8 is more than competitive. Average is within 3.3+ range.

Get 500+ (probably a little lower with your gpa) and you'll get interviews and scholarships.

Make sure you have LOR from a podiatrist and shadowed adequately enough.

And please....do some more research man :/ All you gotta do is search this forum or look through the first couple of threads to find your answer. Don't mind helping you but if you haven't researched podiatry at all, just feels like you're hopping on the band wagon.

EDIT: Judging by your post history, dental apps didn't go too well? Work your butt off for the MCAT. DAT is a lot more straightforward. You won't have to deal with spatial reasoning or looking at angles but MCAT passages (if you've been prepping) are extremely long winded and questions are not as straight forward in a majority of the bio/physical sciences/CARS sections. You have the grades to perform well in podiatry and for that I welcome you. We can use more students like you. But don't come in half-heartedly, you'd be better off reapplying to dental and chasing your original goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.8 is more than competitive. Average is within 3.3+ range.

Get 500+ (probably a little lower with your gpa) and you'll get interviews and scholarships.

Make sure you have LOR from a podiatrist and shadowed adequately enough.

And please....do some more research man :/ All you gotta do is search this forum or look through the first couple of threads to find your answer. Don't mind helping you but if you haven't researched podiatry at all, just feels like you're hopping on the band wagon.

EDIT: Judging by your post history, dental apps didn't go too well? Work your butt off for the MCAT. DAT is a lot more straightforward. You won't have to deal with spatial reasoning or looking at angles but MCAT passages (if you've been prepping) are extremely long winded and questions are not as straight forward in a majority of the bio/physical sciences/CARS sections. You have the grades to perform well in podiatry and for that I welcome you. We can use more students like you. But don't come in half-heartedly, you'd be better off reapplying to dental and chasing your original goal.

I was originally pre-pod and have done my research and even have all my LOR's for podiuatry. I just do not have an MCAT as I ultimately chose dentistry and just applied last month. I am currently getting interview offers but I keep coming back to Pod for some reason. I feel I would enjoy the day to day work a little more. Regardless it is longer education I believe it is a great career.

I am going to take the next month or two and really think. If I choose pod I will take the Jan MCAT and see if I am still able to land any interviews that late in the cycle. By the looks of it I would be okay at bigger schools. I would be interested however, in MW-AZ, DMU, Kent and Scholl. Need to think on this... Problem is I am turning 25 this Fall and with Dental I would be out and practicing at 29. Po Would be 32.

Reactions: 1 user
I was originally pre-pod and have done my research and even have all my LOR's for podiuatry. I just do not have an MCAT as I ultimately chose dentistry and just applied last month. I am currently getting interview offers but I keep coming back to Pod for some reason. I feel I would enjoy the day to day work a little more. Regardless it is longer education I believe it is a great career.

I am going to take the next month or two and really think. If I choose pod I will take the Jan MCAT and see if I am still able to land any interviews that late in the cycle. By the looks of it I would be okay at bigger schools. I would be interested however, in MW-AZ, DMU, Kent and Scholl. Need to think on this... Problem is I am turning 25 this Fall and with Dental I would be out and practicing at 29. Po Would be 32.

Understood.

Don't quote me on this, but with your high GPA, as soon as you get 500+ on your mcat, applying in January should be no problem. AZPOD has a very small class size (around 30 I believe) so their seats tend to go quick. DMU and Kent both have pretty large classes. Even if you apply in January and don't get your score back til Feb, I am certain you'll get interviews. Your GPA itself already puts you leagues ahead of the average.

I understand the age thing, turning 24 this fall. Some schools however like to see more mature students in their class. It may play in your favor. There are a lot of older students in this thread as well. You are not alone!

May feel demoralizing to finish so old, but age is only a number. Short term pain, long term gain. We have to suck it up and get over it.

As for the benefits between dental versus pod- I cannot say 100% which one is better. I've seen problems in both. Saturation, the decrease of private practices due to legislation/older docs not wanting to turn their practices over to newly grads/ increased cost of running one......these are problems in both camps that won't go away any time soon.

Personally know 2 in the dental field. One is starting his third year and one just finished his 2nd year of working for another office. The one who's graduated makes enough to get by at a starting pay. But he's still living in an apartment near the med center and living conservatively to pay off loans. Pod school isn't any better in terms of debt. There's a resident who just finished this summer and is going out with 270k+ in loans. Even the attending I'm shadowing is worried for him. To get your foot in the door of a private practice along side with saving up to raise a family, buy a house, life in general....its not easy.

Understood.

Don't quote me on this, but with your high GPA, as soon as you get 500+ on your mcat, applying in January should be no problem. AZPOD has a very small class size (around 30 I believe) so their seats tend to go quick. DMU and Kent both have pretty large classes. Even if you apply in January and don't get your score back til Feb, I am certain you'll get interviews. Your GPA itself already puts you leagues ahead of the average.

I understand the age thing, turning 24 this fall. Some schools however like to see more mature students in their class. It may play in your favor. There are a lot of older students in this thread as well. You are not alone!

May feel demoralizing to finish so old, but age is only a number. Short term pain, long term gain. We have to suck it up and get over it.

As for the benefits between dental versus pod- I cannot say 100% which one is better. I've seen problems in both. Saturation, the decrease of private practices due to legislation/older docs not wanting to turn their practices over to newly grads/ increased cost of running one......these are problems in both camps that won't go away any time soon.

Personally know 2 in the dental field. One is starting his third year and one just finished his 2nd year of working for another office. The one who's graduated makes enough to get by at a starting pay. But he's still living in an apartment near the med center and living conservatively to pay off loans. Pod school isn't any better in terms of debt. There's a resident who just finished this summer and is going out with 270k+ in loans. Even the attending I'm shadowing is worried for him. To get your foot in the door of a private practice along side with saving up to raise a family, buy a house, life in general....its not easy.

excellent response man, thank you so much! Exactly what I needed to hear and gives me some more to think on

Problem is I am turning 25 this Fall and with Dental I would be out and practicing at 29. Po Would be 32.
Bruhhh, I'll be turning 27 a few days before I start pod school this Fall. Don't settle for another profession just because of a few years.

In the big picture, you'll be working for probably at least 30 years anyway. A few years isn't that much of a difference. Besides that, people much older than the both of us go through medical school.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile