Interviewer: Tell me one thing to remember you by

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When an interviewer asks "Tell me one thing to remember you by", what are they looking for? I've never been asked this but I'm unsure if interviewers are looking for something unique, strongest indication that you are a great applicant, etc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Tell them that you are a pedophile.

HunterGatherer said:
When an interviewer asks "Tell me one thing to remember you by", what are they looking for? I've never been asked this but I'm unsure if interviewers are looking for something unique, strongest indication that you are a great applicant, etc.

Thanks.

What do you want them to remember about you? If they say one thing to the rest of the adcom, what would it be?

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:

Thanks.

Just soil their office rug. They'll remember you for months.

Law2Doc said:

BRILLIANT :D

Law2Doc said:

lol nice

I got asked this in a residency interview. In reality they want you to say something that is unique about you and that isnt in your app. At least thats how I took it.

If you interview 6 or more applicants in a single day, it is easy to have them blend together. What makes you memorable and unique or unusual? Are you the only one I interviewed today who was born on leap year day? the only one who was a member of your college marching band? have you participated in an unusual sport or done research in an unusual field or lived in an out-of-the-way place? I would think that this would be something to talk about. Alternately, this may be a time to blow your horn to talk about something that is unusual or unique and impressive and would make the interviewer say to a colleague, "wow, today I met a guy who...."

was an EMT at Ground Zero
is a triplet whose spouse is a twin
was a hot dog vendor at a major league ball park
has a PhD in biochemistry
started doing DNA sequencing while still in high school
has never eaten at McDonalds

If those were the 6, I had interviewed, I think that I would remember them all as unique individuals.

LizzyM said:
If you interview 6 or more applicants in a single day, it is easy to have them blend together. What makes you memorable and unique or unusual? Are you the only one I interviewed today who was born on leap year day? the only one who was a member of your college marching band? have you participated in an unusual sport or done research in an unusual field or lived in an out-of-the-way place? I would think that this would be something to talk about. Alternately, this may be a time to blow your horn to talk about something that is unusual or unique and impressive and would make the interviewer say to a colleague, "wow, today I met a guy who...."

was an EMT at Ground Zero
is a triplet whose spouse is a twin
was a hot dog vendor at a major league ball park
has a PhD in biochemistry
started doing DNA sequencing while still in high school
has never eaten at McDonalds

If those were the 6, I had interviewed, I think that I would remember them all as unique individuals.

I have also been trying to figure out an answer to this question...this is very helpful...

HunterGatherer said:
When an interviewer asks "Tell me one thing to remember you by"...

That's the fellatio cue. What? You thought that medical school admissions is about grades and MCATs? WAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

While I haven't been on an admitting committee, I have been involved in interviewing for an academic position. When this question is asked, it is usually just asking for something that is outside the resume material. Something that is unique to you. My answer ranges from "I live on a working farm that grows elephant garlic" to "I have a son with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia." Both of these lie outside the resume!! ...and both tend to leave an interviewer with more questions than answers. (and THAT is a good thing!)

deuist said:
You could also have an interesting quirk. I haven't worn jeans in almost 8 years.

I'm with you there too. Jeans aren't my thing.

As far as the one thing, I'd moon him or her.

HunterGatherer said:
I was not sure if I should tell them what was the best thing about me as an applicant or something unique. Thanks for the replies.

I'm on the admissions committee for my undergrad college, and I interview tons of prospective students. My strongest reports are the ones where I talk about something that the applicant has shown a great passion for, whether it's volunteering or shopping. The point is, applicants who show real excitement about something always stick out in my mind, and my view is that their enthusiasm can translate into motivation that can help them do well in school. The activity doesn't matter, the amount of passion makes it memorable.

HunterGatherer said:

Thanks.

Just say, "why don't you ask your mama: I'm sure she remembers me(hehehe)"