Interviewing and failing biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya0810

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, i will really appreciate your thoughts. I am interviewing at dental schools now and have 3.82 GPA. I am also taking biochem this semester. The class average on first exam is 60, and i got 50 :(. Professor is just impossible, you have to work hard for a C. One more exam and a final are left. I am thinking about W grade and then retaking it spring semester with diff prof. I am afraid to fail and then my acceptance be cancelled. Please advise me what to do

Members don't see this ad.

Never had a C but he is a monster, no matter how u study

If the class average is a 60, I'm sure it'll be curved...

Members don't see this ad :)
No, he does not curve. I don't know what to do withdraw or take it? And what schools can say when they see a W

If you think you'll get below a C (hell even a B if you can still graduate on time) I'd say drop. Assuming you don't have any other Ws.

Guys, i will really appreciate your thoughts. I am interviewing at dental schools now and have 3.82 GPA. I am also taking biochem this semester. The class average on first exam is 60, and i got 50 :(. Professor is just impossible, you have to work hard for a C. One more exam and a final are left. I am thinking about W grade and then retaking it spring semester with diff prof. I am afraid to fail and then my acceptance be cancelled. Please advise me what to do

OMG, you have to actually work hard?

Sounds like you are making excuses and you don't want to try.

Reactions: 1 user
No, believe me, i know how to work hard, otherwise would not have such GPA and interviews. There is just always somebody who skrews everybody and enjoys it, thats a professor i have. And i don't want that somebody spoil everything i got today.

There has to be some sort of compensation for test averages like that (curving, easy final, etc.)
When I was in undergrad countless professors claimed they wouldn't curve but did. You really think that many people in your class will do poorly? Not likely dude.

Reactions: 2 users
Failing half of the class reflects poorly on the professor- he's unlikely to do that. You should be just fine scoring 10 points below the average on exam 1. I withdrew from a course in undergraduate when I thought your same thoughts. Looking back, I regret withdrawing. I wish I had given it 100% with the chances I had left. Have you approached the instructor and asked him what you need to do in order to be successful in his class? If you stay with the class and pull off a B, it would be a great display of perseverance.

record his lectures and study from that, only study what he preaches.

That makes me think you didn't study hard for this course. Biochemistry is well known as a tough one. Average of 60 sounds very normal for a biochemistry test and people still get A or B. Stop blaming professor for your being slacker...

If your university has a preheath advisory program talk to them. They likely know the professor's reputation from previous students and how it panned out for them. Sometimes those horrendous professors are different people entirely during their office hours. If you get the sense that he has a heart beating somewhere within him, talk to him, tell him you want to do well in his course and learn the material, you're in a precarious situation with your future, and would he mind helping you if you promise to read the textbook and study hard. You may end up having to reinvent your study skills for this course, but that may behoove you in the long run. The schedule isn't easier in D-school, and they cover most of what you'll learn this semester in about the first week. Also, never reveal yourself to be a human on the pre-dent/pre-med boards. Total noob mistake to admit to any form of weakness.

Sometimes those horrendous professors are different people entirely during their office hours.
I second this. I had a similar situation in a biochem class. I actually took 2 levels of biochem with the same prof. First time around, I did poorly. I blamed the professor, because s/he was notorious for treating the students poorly and actually laughing at us when we would fail. In the level 2 class, I worked even harder and went to office hours. Turns out the professor was not actually a bad person; I just needed to make an effort by asking for help, and s/he was willing to do so. I wasn't handed a grade, but s/he did take the time to help me find better ways to study for the class. I rocked the second class and now I'm going to be asking them for a LOR.

Also, never reveal yourself to be a human on the pre-dent/pre-med boards. Total noob mistake to admit to any form of weakness.

And I just love this. Puny humans :p.

33989231_8225.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I was in a similar situation this semester. I got 50 on the first midterm while the class median was 66. I was in complete shock when I saw how far below the class I was, but it was a wake up call - it happens!! After visiting my professor a few times, I understand what he expects from us. Although I can't say I got perfect on the other tests, I have improved and I'm ready to take on the final. Have you even been asked "When was a time that you overcame an obstacle?" at a job interview? It's times like these where you have to learn to adapt to the situation, not run away from it. GL!

Haha yet another resurrected thread gets you guys every time.

OMG, you have to actually work hard?

Sounds like you are making excuses and you don't want to try.

I dont think he is complaining about working hard. I agree that there are times when you get that one professor that makes it impossible at times.

I am pretty sure the person passed the class. lol