Interviewing dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crepitus Fremitus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question of when it might be better to interview:

What do you think: Early interview or later?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read, there are no clear advantages to interviewing at any particular time of year. The primacy effect can help, the recency effect can help. Holidays can put people in a good mood. Nearing the end of the process can too. And any of these things can get in the way too. So, you should interview whenever it works out.

So, will it work out for you to interview on that coast now? Probably not. You can't submit your ERAS app until 9/1, and there are no programs that I have ever heard of that will interview someone without an app in hand. Although some will interview before it's complete (typically without the Dean's letter, sometimes without all the LORs) I think it's highly unlikely that they will interview with NOTHING in hand.

Although the money and time invested are quite high if you have to fly back, it's all an investment in your entire career.

Good luck.

Personally,
I'd do it a bit later. Let them get all your stuff together, and try to group them for travel convenience. They will understand if you want to wait. It won't make a huge difference if you interview early or late, but they will have a tendency to forget who you are if you interview too early. Do it to YOUR convenience, and not to theirs!

I'll only be available in January and into February but do programs go that late? The ROLs are due in February, but I haven't ever heard of anyone interviewing that late.

Tis is what it says on The Match Schedule:

Jan31, 2003 Quota Change Deadline.
Programs must submit final information on quotas and withdrawals. (Does anyone know exactly what this means?)

February 26, 2003 Rank Order List Deadline.
The R3 System closes at 11:59 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST). NRMP must receive certified applicant and program Rank Order Lists and any other information pertinent to the Match by this date and time.

Most programs interview through the end of January.