Interviewing for a lab technition position while in application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprinkles_hamshire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently working in a lab as a technician and my PI is not very nice. I've only been on the job for 5 months and things are not working out. So, I am looking for a new technician job in another lab. I am also applying at the same time so there is a possibility that I will not be able to commit to a lab for two years. I really want to continue working in a lab because I enjoy research so I am applying to open positions.

I need help answering these two potential interview questions below. I do not want to lie to my interviewer but I also do not want to be thrown out of consideration because of commitment issues. Also, I really want the experience.

1) When are you applying to dental school?
2) Can you commit to our lab for at least 2 years?

Please help!!! Any Advice would be appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was in the same situation. I started my job as a tech 2 months ago, and just stated that I was planning on applying, but haven't decided when.
You can say that you will commit because you are. If this cycle doesn't pan out (which is always a possibility), you'll be in the lab for the duration of your commitment.
Don't answer in absolutes. You need to leave yourself wiggle room.

But, I will say that I have been having trouble getting time off for interviews because I can't tell them why. So, that's one possible complication.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, you posted this in pre-med allopathic so most of us aren't familiar with dental school admissions. But if it's anything like medical school admissions, I would recommend being honest about not being able to make a two-year commitment because when it comes time to apply, you need your PI's support when it comes to taking time off for interviews, etc. While this certainly does limit you in terms of which PIs will be willing to accept you, it may make things easier for you when it comes time to apply.

First of all, you posted this in pre-med allopathic so most of us aren't familiar with dental school admissions. But if it's anything like medical school admissions, I would recommend being honest about not being able to make a two-year commitment because when it comes time to apply, you need your PI's support when it comes to taking time off for interviews, etc. While this certainly does limit you in terms of which PIs will be willing to accept you, it may make things easier for you when it comes time to apply.

Good point, thanks for the tip!

I posted in the med forum because I wanted your advice since admissions are similar. And there would be more postings here I felt. Thanks!

I was in the same situation. I started my job as a tech 2 months ago, and just stated that I was planning on applying, but haven't decided when.
You can say that you will commit because you are. If this cycle doesn't pan out (which is always a possibility), you'll be in the lab for the duration of your commitment.
Don't answer in absolutes. You need to leave yourself wiggle room.

But, I will say that I have been having trouble getting time off for interviews because I can't tell them why. So, that's one possible complication.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one in this position. It is really difficult and I don't feel like it is worth staying in such a hostile environment. Were you able to find a new lab?

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one in this position. It is really difficult and I don't feel like it is worth staying in such a hostile environment. Were you able to find a new lab?
I'm sure it's a pretty common occurrence. I've been in the lab for 2 months, and it's working out pretty well.
The main thing to remember is that they can't chain you to the bench/desk for your commitment, so don't worry too much

Reactions: 1 user