Interviewing for new position soon after new hire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tired RPharmD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facts: Have worked for a major chain for 4 years as their Intern during school. Was transitioned to a pharmacist position that required a move over 1500 miles away from home state. Moved family and whole life to new location. New pharmacy is a nightmare...heavy heavy volume, lifer techs with no desire to change anything they are doing who lack basic customer service skills like not being overtly rude to customers. Started sending out resumes ASAP to other positions in the area, of which there are not that many options. Have a phone interview today with one of the opportunities. Have option of staying with current company but to work at other stores will require over an hour and 15 minutes commute each way at the least daily and will reduce my ability to even see my children while they are awake on weeknights.

Question: How do I explain why I am wanting to switch companies after only working for them as a pharmacist for a short time, even though I am on my 5th year of employment with them total, without making myself look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

don't ask...if you see an opportunity that is better for you...take it. If they do ask...just say Its just a better fit for me. If you really want it, then don't let them try an offer incentives to make you stay.

I meant "How do I explain to the new company during today's phone conversation why I am wanting to switch without looking bad."

Members don't see this ad :)
Quality of Life. You will need to elaborate but I'm sure you can come up with something.... Kids, weekends, too many hours, schedule wont fit, proposed change will require you to spend 3 hours on the road each day. Obviously you want to sugarcoat the parts so position you are interviewing for doesn't think you will have same issues with them.

Also, today you are probably talking to HR/recruiter who is screening for you to have a face to face with DM/RXS. I'm not sure it changes anything but they tend to ask less specific questions. Your accomplishments, things you are proud of, weakness/strengths etc.

Last edited:
Wow, that was a fantastic phone interview. I am hope hope hoping it results in a job offer. Thanks for the feedback. When I stated what I was hoping to make the interviewer mentioned that my number was definitely in range and that I even had room upwards. So, I am now wondering what I should ask for...it would be nice to make what I am currently making and not the $3 less that I stated and was my understanding was the going rate for the area.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. There is almost no room to negotiate these days. You will get market rate for specific company/hospital if they make you an offer. Experience counts in some places but you don't have much of that. If they talk salary range, the higher end is often set for PIC or floater type positions.