Interviewing while pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrwinsto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my first interview invite today at Purdue and while I am super excited, I am also crazy nervous about being visibly pregnant in the interview! Has anyone had to interview while pregnant? Should wait for them to address the obvious, or is it something I should bring up? I am all for being honest and open, but how much information is appropriate to give?

Members don't see this ad.

We have a few students with children here. Either as mothers of infants, or non-trads who already have toddlers. Purdue is wonderful with providing support and understanding for such situations. I don't think it would affect your interview at all. They might ask you about it, or you could bring it up if they don't during the interview and explain how you will balance a child and a rigorous education. It can be done so don't worry about having it be a negative influence!

Good Luck! I can't wait to possibly meet you during your interview and all the best with your pregnancy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that interviewed pregnant and got in.
They aren't allowed to bring it up, legally, unless you do.

I have a friend that interviewed pregnant and got in.
They aren't allowed to bring it up, legally, unless you do.
RIGHT! And I don't see any need to bring it up, unless you have something that you couldn't discuss without mentioning it.

But, if you WANT to, I doubt it is going to reflect badly.

Really it is a non-event.

Just got my first interview invite today at Purdue and while I am super excited, I am also crazy nervous about being visibly pregnant in the interview! Has anyone had to interview while pregnant? Should wait for them to address the obvious, or is it something I should bring up? I am all for being honest and open, but how much information is appropriate to give?

One of my good friends who interviewed the same day as me was (very) visibly pregnant when we interviewed. (So was my wife, who came with me ... she and the friend delivered a week or so apart.)

You do not need to bring it up, but I also don't think it's inappropriate if you have a specific, worthwhile point to make. I can't think of one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Don't bring it up "just because" - it will make them wonder why the heck you're talking about it.

It would be inappropriate (and I think bunnity is correct that it would be illegal) for them to bring it up other than in the context of a casual, conversational "I see you're expecting! How exciting!" kind of comments. However, if you bring it up, they can discuss it.

That said, if they DO bring it up ... you have two options: get indignant that they're sticking their nose where it doesn't belong, or deal with it gracefully and use it as a chance to show poise in the face of someone who is being inappropriate. Personally, I'd go with the latter.

Probably worth taking a few minutes to prepare yourself with what you think is an appropriate response, but I'd be really amazed if it comes up in any context other than conversational.

FWIW, my friend said it didn't come up at all. (And yes, she did get accepted.)

Last edited:
I just want to say, props to you for undergoing the admissions process while already being on a physical and emotional roller coaster- WOW! :eek: It's pretty inspiring. So, thumbs up to you :thumbup: and best of luck :luck:.

I just want to say, props to you for undergoing the admissions process while already being on a physical and emotional roller coaster- WOW! :eek: It's pretty inspiring. So, thumbs up to you :thumbup: and best of luck :luck:.

Thanks, jemappellejane! I didn't plan for it to all work out this way, but here I am! It is incredibly stressful, but totally worth it! Whether I get in or not, I will have a beautiful little one:love:

Thanks, jemappellejane! I didn't plan for it to all work out this way, but here I am! It is incredibly stressful, but totally worth it! Whether I get in or not, I will have a beautiful little one:love:

Just curious, about how far along will you be at interview time? And are you set to have the baby prior to starting school?

Assuming the interview is between Dec. and February, and school starts in August, and you are having the baby prior to starting vet school, I wouldn't see any reason as to why you would be any less of a candidate in the eyes of the admissions committee. If you had some time to adjust to being a new mom before actually starting vet school, it would be a seemingly smooth transition as it is, they should have no cause for concern. If you want to bring it up, and can prepare something good to address it with, I don't see any harm, but I also don't see harm in not talking about it.

On the off chance that you're due around the time that vet school starts, I would not bring it up at all. I wouldn't want to specifically clarify that I was having the baby at the very near the start of or perhaps shortly after the start of vet school, if I had the option to avoid the issue altogether. This has nothing to do with the issue of "can having a baby in vet school be done", I'm simply looking at it from an admissions perspective. If it's on that timeline, just put your gameface on and chalk it up to none of their business bc, hey, this is about school not your personal life.

Either way you can take comfort in knowing you're not the first pregnant interviewee to come through and you wont be the last... just focus on owning it so much they won't even be able to think twice about your belly!

Just curious, about how far along will you be at interview time? And are you set to have the baby prior to starting school?

Either way you can take comfort in knowing you're not the first pregnant interviewee to come through and you wont be the last... just focus on owning it so much they won't even be able to think twice about your belly!

I will be about 27 weeks or so, right at the end of my second trimester, so the baby is due end of April. No worries about birth interfering with the start of school.

I will be about 27 weeks or so, right at the end of my second trimester, so the baby is due end of April. No worries about birth interfering with the start of school.

Perfect. I wouldn't worry about a thing. Congratulations on the little one and good luck on your interview :)