Interviewing with a practice tomorrow. What to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyefixer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of the blue, I received an interview invitation with a very well established practice in a very desirable location. This practice is in the area where my family would like to end up long term. I usually interview well and I am not worried about my clinical or interpersonal skills. Now, what do I ask during the interview? I know we should discuss base salary, productivity bonus, other benefits, timing to partnership, yearly vacation/ed leave. What else? Any semi-urgent tips would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Out of the blue, I received an interview invitation with a very well established practice in a very desirable location. This practice is in the area where my family would like to end up long term. I usually interview well and I am not worried about my clinical or interpersonal skills. Now, what do I ask during the interview? I know we should discuss base salary, productivity bonus, other benefits, timing to partnership, yearly vacation/ed leave. What else? Any semi-urgent tips would be greatly appreciated.

Those are all obviously important but I would suggest asking them this:

"What can I do to make you guys more money?"

Those are all obviously important but I would suggest asking them this:

"What can I do to make you guys more money?"

Right on. Asking about how they will benefit you is not a good angle. In the interview, you need to sell yourself to the practice. That involves trying to please them, rather than yourself. I don't know what kind of practice you're looking at or even what your background is, but if there is an additional focus/service you can bring, you should highlight that, as well. Let them get to know you more personally, as they will want someone who meshes well with them and who they'll trust with their patients. We actually cut a doc loose last year because of repeated patient complaints. It was hurting the practice image. All those details you listed will come up eventually.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how did the interview go? Any unexpected questions or topics?