Interviewing with a severe food allergy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychstudent6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been invited to a couple interview weekends for PhD programs and both include multiple dinners and parties in addition to the actual interview day. They say they are optional but recommended; I don't want to skip it due to my food issues because I would like to go to get a feel for the people in the program and see how I fit in...but I have celiac's disease which makes eating outside of my own home terrifying... especially when if I do get sick I will not be in an ideal place.

basically if I eat gluten or anything that has TRACES of gluten (meaning processed in a factory with, previously baked on a pan, touched breadcrumbs) I will get immediately very sick as my body rejects everything I just ingested. This can make other people uncomfortable cooking for me or serving me and makes me uncomfortable because I have to tell people I can't eat what they cook or they have to make special food for me ect. Also a lot of people don't know what celiacs is and they just think I am on a crazy food diet or select not to eat gluten/am a picky eater/want attention when really I would do anything to eat gluten without getting violently ill!!!!

So, in short I don't want to not disclose my celiacs because I could end up in a bad situation in the event I do eat something, get really sick, and make people feel bad for giving me food and not telling them. but I also want to avoid the judgement and questions that accompanies telling people I have celiacs or "not eating gluten."

Any ideas on how people get through interview weekends with severe food allergies?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of these gatherings are potluck mix and mingle type affairs. Eat beforehand, and then politely decline anything you are unsure of, pointing out you already ate if pressed. Usually somebody brings a veggie tray so go for that?

I have been invited to a couple interview weekends for PhD programs and both include multiple dinners and parties in addition to the actual interview day. They say they are optional but recommended; I don't want to skip it due to my food issues because I would like to go to get a feel for the people in the program and see how I fit in...but I have celiac's disease which makes eating outside of my own home terrifying... especially when if I do get sick I will not be in an ideal place.

basically if I eat gluten or anything that has TRACES of gluten (meaning processed in a factory with, previously baked on a pan, touched breadcrumbs) I will get immediately very sick as my body rejects everything I just ingested. This can make other people uncomfortable cooking for me or serving me and makes me uncomfortable because I have to tell people I can't eat what they cook or they have to make special food for me ect. Also a lot of people don't know what celiacs is and they just think I am on a crazy food diet or select not to eat gluten/am a picky eater/want attention when really I would do anything to eat gluten without getting violently ill!!!!

So, in short I don't want to not disclose my celiacs because I could end up in a bad situation in the event I do eat something, get really sick, and make people feel bad for giving me food and not telling them. but I also want to avoid the judgement and questions that accompanies telling people I have celiacs or "not eating gluten."

Any ideas on how people get through interview weekends with severe food allergies?

I have similarly widespread food allergies (although not as severe). When I went through interviews I had a large stash of safe snacks with me at any given time. While not the healthiest diet through all the interview weekends, they were pretty much the only thing I ate. I would recommend still going to the events, as they are indeed very helpful for both you and the program. You may want to divulge the diagnosis. I think that if you treat it as serious, but nothing to worry about, others will treat it as such. For instance, at a dinner you could say "No thanks on the food, I have pretty bad celiac's. The last thing I want is to be sick for interviews! I came prepared though, so no need for you to do anything. If we get snowed in, I have enough snacks to feed the department for a week!" That is just my cheesy way of passing things off, but hopefully you get the idea. I think being honest is fine, but if you are worried, just focus on minimizing the extra work it may cause them.
Also, if you get judgements from students if you tell them you have celiac's, that may not be a good program for you. Remember, interviews are just as much for you to see if you would be happy being in the program for 6 years. The last thing you want is to be stuck with people who minimize your health issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with what's been said--I'd still recommend attending the events, and I'd be surprised if anyone looks at you funny for politely declining food. If pressed, even if you don't want to specifically say you have Celiac's, you could say what you mentioned above (i.e., that you have some severe food allergies, so you ate at home beforehand). I certainly wouldn't view an applicant negatively for such a disclosure, and I'd doubt many other people would, either.

I agree with what others have said. I also have celiac, and have been seen at interviews for various positions pulling food out of my bag rather than eating the provided meals. I sometimes feel a bit awkward about it, but if a program is really going to judge me for this, then I probably don't want to be there.

Last edited:
One of the clinical supervisors at internship who had celiac disease. I don't think too many people in this field would hold that against you in any way and like Sardonic said, if they did, would you really want to be there. I had one interview at a state hospital where the food served was questionable at best. I made sure that I was too busy chatting about psychology stuff to eat. Coincidentally, the interviewee across the table from me also matched and we spent the next year avoiding that food!

My old classmate had Celiac disease and all the classmates and faculty were highly supportive of her.

Our program actually asks applicants about allergies (pets, food, etc) so we can plan for their interview weekend to be as safe and comfortable as possible. I hope this helps you feel a little better about visiting -- it's not that uncommon to ask about these things! I'd bring your own food to keep around, as others have suggested.

Reactions: 1 user