Interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster. Uh, I am interviewing at DMU this week and am wondering if anybody can give me some insight into the interview specifically questions to expect. I am excited and hope to get in, DMU is my number one choice, but as I've read, you've got to evaluate them just as much as they evaluate you. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forum. There are no specific questions that they ask everyone usually they base their questions off of your application. So if you said that you were in a boy band, they'll ask you about it. They will ask you a few general questions that you get everywhere. Why podiatry? What makes you think you can handle the pressure of school?

I'm sure you'll do great. You can't really prepare for your interview; it is just a reflection of who you are. Good luck and I'll probably see you on campus.

I would say the best advice I can give you is be preapred to answer any questions about your transcripts, research or anything else you listed on your application. Also, DMU caps the class size at around 40-50 so there is a lot of competition for the spots. I would also be ready to answer questions about how you are prepared for the courseload and amount of work involved. Every year there are a fair number of students who don't survive the first year, so they like to make sure you feel confident that you can handle it. Other than that just relax and be yourself and you'll do fine. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why podiatry?

Why DMU?

What is one of your strengths?

What is one of your weaknesses?

Tell me about a difficult experience in your life and how you overcame it?

Course load is difficult, do you think you can be successful?

Then they will ask you questions from your file. Just relax and be yourself.

gustydoc said:
I would say the best advice I can give you is be preapred to answer any questions about your transcripts, research or anything else you listed on your application. Also, DMU caps the class size at around 40-50 so there is a lot of competition for the spots. I would also be ready to answer questions about how you are prepared for the courseload and amount of work involved. Every year there are a fair number of students who don't survive the first year, so they like to make sure you feel confident that you can handle it. Other than that just relax and be yourself and you'll do fine. Good luck.
Of those students who don't survive the first year....what do you think were there greatest weaknesses?

Different people can experience difficulty for different reasons. For some people balancing their social and family lives with the demands of medical school can prove too much. For me the biggest shock was how much I had to change my study habits from undergrad. I had always found getting good grades easy in undergrad, but I required a lot more focus and determination at DMU. That being said the majority of students find the first year difficult, but definitely manageable. The purpose of my earlier post wasn't to give you one more thing to worry about, but just to help give you some idea of what to expect. Just remember you wouldn't be at the interview if the school didn't think you could handle the work, so just use your visit as an opportunity to confirm their suspicions. After you interview you'll get lunch and a tour from some second year students and they can always answer the questions you couldn't ask the faculty. Good luck.

thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. It's just overwhelming sometimes. It's my first interview because i applied late so I wasn't really expecting to get one. I've got others lined up, but from what I've read, I like DMU a lot. Thanks again all.

Densmore22,
If you don't get into DMU are you looking to go anywhere else? I think that gusty said it best. Also, the physical science area of the MCAT is the best predicting factor for the success or failure of the student according to the statistics at CPMS over the last 5 years.

Well yeah, I mean, I'm hoping to get into more than just one school, but beggars can't be choosers you know. I've got interviews at California and Ohio as well. So I guess I'll just have to see which ones I like best and which ones (if any) accept me. Also, I didn't do too impressive on the physical portion of the MCAT, but I work my ass off studying so I hope I can make up for that.

Just curious...Dr. Feelgood..what do you feel is a good score on the physical science portion of the MCAT that predicts that the certain person has a high chance of doing fairly well or surviving DMU?

I'm sorry to say I do not have an exact number. The profile of the least successful student at CPMS in the last 5 years is a male student that took off more than 10 years after undergrad with a poor physical science score. But the most predictive factor of all was the PS score. No one ever ask what that score was but I'll get a number of you. My opinion, below a 6 is a poor score.