Interviews and taking a summer course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's almost that time for applying, and I just have a simple question:

My university (UIC) doesn't offer a second semester of Orgo Lab. A guidance counselor told me that their lab meets the requirements for orgo lab for pre med, and their pre-med curriculum only has one semester of orgo lab. The counselor told me that their students have no problem applying with their orgo lab. However, I find this kind of hard to believe since in general most med schools require two semesters of orgo lab.

So, I plan on taking orgo lab 2 in the summer at Loyola, which is the only university in my area that offers a second orgo lab. The thing is, what if I get invited for an interview while i'm in the summer semester. Are interviews more later like near August or can they also happen during mid summer?

Members don't see this ad.

It's almost that time for applying, and I just have a simple question:

My university (UIC) doesn't offer a second semester of Orgo Lab. A guidance counselor told me that their lab meets the requirements for orgo lab for pre med, and their pre-med curriculum only has one semester of orgo lab. The counselor told me that their students have no problem applying with their orgo lab. However, I find this kind of hard to believe since in general most med schools require two semesters of orgo lab.

So, I plan on taking orgo lab 2 in the summer at Loyola, which is the only university in my area that offers a second orgo lab. The thing is, what if I get invited for an interview while i'm in the summer semester. Are interviews more later like near August or can they also happen during mid summer?
Interviews usually start in September. More importantly is pre-writing the secondary essays. THose take a huge amount of time. Most of the questions do not change year-to-year. Need to figure out your school list, then get the secondary questions from the prior year. Do not underestimate the effort this will take in July/August.

You just need the class done before matriculation usually. So it doesnt matter if you take the class in the summer, fall, or even the following spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just need the class done before matriculation usually. So it doesnt matter if you take the class in the summer, fall, or even the following spring.

Wait, so let's say I apply and get accepted, will I NOT start school this fall? Or is the semester system different in medical school. Or do you have to wait an entire year before actually "starting school?"

My school only offers one semester of gen chem lab and, despite the requirement generally being a full year, I've had no issues. I think you will be fine, also.

Also, I highly suggest you do more research into the application process before you apply.

My school only offers one semester of gen chem lab and, despite the requirement generally being a full year, I've had no issues. I think you will be fine, also.

Oh wow. Is this what people mean by taking a gap year? Also, do special masters programs follow this same timeline?