Interviews during away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soko23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad to take a day off to go to an interview if you're on an away rotation/"audition"? I'm applying to the other side of the country and will be doing rotations there when interview season starts up and obviously, it is more convenient to do an interview while I'm there instead of taking 3 days off to fly cross-country. Just wondering how to approach this. Probably no more than 1 day off, right?

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't speak from experience on this topic, I would try to avoid taking days off on your away rotation. Especially if this is a place you really want to go, you will want to make sure to look your absolute best to the program and taking a day off to go interview somewhere else just won't give that impression that you're all that interested. I would instead consider moving the other interviews to either right before or after the away rotation, or going some other time. Also ask yourself if those places are really worth interviewing at (since you only need to really interview at about 6-7 places more or less).

While I can't speak from experience on this topic, I would try to avoid taking days off on your away rotation. Especially if this is a place you really want to go, you will want to make sure to look your absolute best to the program and taking a day off to go interview somewhere else just won't give that impression that you're all that interested. I would instead consider moving the other interviews to either right before or after the away rotation, or going some other time. Also ask yourself if those places are really worth interviewing at (since you only need to really interview at about 6-7 places more or less).

I agree. Unless you are 100% assured that you are a lock-in at the away rotation, I would be wary of the impression you are making by leaving during an audition rotation.