Interviews/intern year application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAVSMANIAC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As interviews come in, do applicants generally apply to the programs pre-lim/transitional year at that site rather than applying to all the pre-lim/transitionals at the sites on the SF match? In other words, as you get interviews, go ahead and apply to that site's intern year?

Members don't see this ad.

As interviews come in, do applicants generally apply to the programs pre-lim/transitional year at that site rather than applying to all the pre-lim/transitionals at the sites on the SF match? In other words, as you get interviews, go ahead and apply to that site's intern year?

Apply to the programs you're interested in. Whether that means (1) cush (2) location (3) hands on experience (4) intangibles or (5) a combination of the above...

it's too hard to plan your TY based on Ophtho unless you're VERY geographically limited for one reason or another...pick an internship that you will get the most out of. I did mine at a really cush place and grew a LOT over that year and learned about myself and what I wanted to do in my medical career as a result

does anyone know the timeline for the TY app process, as it relates to the early match ophthalmology timeline? In terms of application dates, hearing about interviews, somehow managing to go on interviews, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Been awhile, but I did try to look and apply to prelims once I started to get interviews from ophtho programs. I did 4 prelim interviews same day as ophtho interviews. Some of the larger prelim programs were very accomodating on dates. For obvious reasons it's nice to do your prelim where you are doing your ophtho. It's convenient to only move once, and I think it's a really good idea to get to know the routine of the hospital you are going to do your ophtho at. Ophtho is a lot of new stuff, the last thing you need your first ophtho year is to have to learn where radiology is, etc.

does anyone know the timeline for the TY app process, as it relates to the early match ophthalmology timeline? In terms of application dates, hearing about interviews, somehow managing to go on interviews, etc.?

Seemed like i got interviews and dates from the few prelim med programs i applied to much earlier (Sept-Oct) than the TY programs. So whether by design or just coincidence, the TY interviews i went on were mostly at the end of Nov, Dec, and into January after the peak of the ophtho interview season had ended.

From what I've heard for pgy-1 the chances of getting an interview decrease the later you apply. Programs begin to suspect you added them on as back ups.