Interviews on Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

int3rwebz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see if anyone's had any experience on going to interviews while on away rotations. I will be on an away, but have to unfortunately travel to an interview while there - will only be gone one day. Has anyone done this before? Any specific way to go about this to minimize possible damage? Oh, and there are more than just one interview for the whole month, but im doing my best to try to push back as many interviews as possible until the away's over, but I can't do it for all the interviews. Should I let the coordinator of the rotation know or one of the attendings?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to see if anyone's had any experience on going to interviews while on away rotations. I will be on an away, but have to unfortunately travel to an interview while there - will only be gone one day. Has anyone done this before? Any specific way to go about this to minimize possible damage? Oh, and there are more than just one interview for the whole month, but im doing my best to try to push back as many interviews as possible until the away's over, but I can't do it for all the interviews. Should I let the coordinator of the rotation know or one of the attendings?

Thanks in advance!

It's a mixed bag. I've done this before and the away program was very accomodating (I would let the rotation coordinator know)

I've had colleagues tell me this hurt their chances at the away program as they were insulted a rotator would schedule an interview in the midst of the rotation. Petty, but these things do exist in dermatology. If you get the whiff that they would not be happy about your taking a day off for interview, you would need to weigh which program is more appealing to you: the one you're currently at that will presumably give you a courtesy interview for rotating or the one that you need to take a day off for. (And in most instances, people would still choose to go on the interview where you need to take a day off)

I did this, and matched at the program. But I was interviewing at a TY program in town, so it's a bit different. My resident was very understanding and knew that it would be way more convenient for me to interview while I was in town, rather than getting another set of plane tickets at a later date.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a mixed bag. I've done this before and the away program was very accomodating (I would let the rotation coordinator know)

I've had colleagues tell me this hurt their chances at the away program as they were insulted a rotator would schedule an interview in the midst of the rotation. Petty, but these things do exist in dermatology. If you get the whiff that they would not be happy about your taking a day off for interview, you would need to weigh which program is more appealing to you: the one you're currently at that will presumably give you a courtesy interview for rotating or the one that you need to take a day off for. (And in most instances, people would still choose to go on the interview where you need to take a day off)

Thanks for the replies. I hope that they are more accommodating if I let them know these are prelim interviews (which they are).

And just to clarify, the rotation coordinator is the non MD person who's in charge of setting up the rotators, correct?

Thanks for the replies. I hope that they are more accommodating if I let them know these are prelim interviews (which they are).

And just to clarify, the rotation coordinator is the non MD person who's in charge of setting up the rotators, correct?

That is correct

What about calling out sick for the day or stating that a family emergency has come up (just my 2 cents...)

What about calling out sick for the day or stating that a family emergency has come up (just my 2 cents...)
Don't know if you're serious or not, but probably no. This is not something so important to lie over esp. since it's out of OP's control. An internship is required for derm and OP will naturally interview for them. It would be different if he was flying out to a derm interview.

This might be something you could bring up to the residents and possibly leave the administration out of it. It's possible, depending on the program, the administration wouldn't know you were gone if you just asked the residents if you could/should take the day off. YMMV, though. It's highly dependent on the program.

Don't know if you're serious or not, but probably no. This is not something so important to lie over esp. since it's out of OP's control. An internship is required for derm and OP will naturally interview for them. It would be different if he was flying out to a derm interview.

Just a thought. If you think telling them that you have an interview will hurt you, then don't do it.