Interviews- Week of 9/12

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaipirinhaQuinho

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's almost crunch time and I am drastically unprepared. Suit, PS, portfolio (?), haircut, nailcut, keys, wallet, and watch. Anything I'm missing?

Members don't see this ad.

civic57 said:
It's almost crunch time and I am drastically unprepared. Suit, PS, portfolio (?), haircut, nailcut, keys, wallet, and watch. Anything I'm missing?

some nice cologne? :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd skip the cologne and just go with a pre-interview shower (note: include soap). Cologne is hit or miss as far as what's too strong and what's okay, and some people (like me) can get migraines from strong smells. I think it's better just to smell good subtely than overwhelm their nose with scent.

Members don't see this ad :)
DEODORANT. sounds obvious, but when i shadowed an IM resident a few weeks ago, i was rushing to make it there by 7am when i realized i had forgotten to put it on. needless to say i swung by a convenience store before going in. :rolleyes:

I'm interviewing at East Carolina University on Wednesday, 9-14. Good luck, everyone!

mustangsally65 said:
I'm interviewing at East Carolina University on Wednesday, 9-14. Good luck, everyone!

Hey Sal :D --Saw your name pop up while browsing. ;) Just wanted to send a quick congrat to you! :clap: :luck:

PressingOn said:
Hey Sal :D --Saw your name pop up while browsing. ;) Just wanted to send a quick congrat to you! :clap: :luck:

Thanks! I'm looking forward to my interview next week!

I have my first one next fri the 16th...i'm pretty nervous about it but hopefully I will be prepared by then. Lots of stuff to go over and not much time to do it...well I cant say not that much time, because I will be going to see foo fighters/weezer on sun night in tampa...how awesome of a show is that! Good luck to everyone!

I've got my first one Sept 12th! Just bought a new suit and comfy/cute shoes.. all I have to do now is figure out what to pack!

I have my first interview at Temple on the 15th. For whatever reason I'm not as nervous about all this stuff as I was a month ago. Hopefully it's not false confidence :oops:

Anyone interviewing at GW on the 16th or (sorry to get ahead of myself) Rochester on the 19th? I'm looking forward to a mini-vacation from school (even though we started 2 weeks ago and just had Labor Day off). :p

maybe poop a little before you go.

Members don't see this ad :)
indo said:
maybe poop a little before you go.

that gave me a nice chuckle :laugh:

i have my first interview on monday! Okay talk about a stressful experience already. Last weekend I went to vegas to celebrate my 21st bday with my bf. On the day that we were leaving, we missed the check in time at the airport by like at most 10 min (who knew vegas has an insanely strict rule about that? the rest of the airports I've been to were never like that). Well that was on Monday, on Labor Day. That is the worse day to try to do stand by to catch a flight with extra seats!! So that day was extremely stressful day, after 7 hours waiting at the airport, the 4th flight, I finally got to go home.

5 days later....
Today I headed off to the airport again to go to DC to go to my first interview. I packed everything the night before. My family drove me to the airport, and I made sure I was an hour early before the departure time. After I checked in my baggage, I realized I FORGOT MY SUIT AT HOME!! Umm YEAH. Worse part was that the check in people kept on telling me I need to board the plane half an hour before the departure time and there was nothing I can do. But it takes half an hour to drive back from the airport to my home! I was freaking out. How could I forget my suit already on my FIRST interview? Long story short, my family sped home, got my suit, drove back and I had to risk that I might miss my flight. After getting my suit, I just ran and ran through the airport. and I boarded the plane a few min before it took off. Wow, talk about being close! At least I'll remember to never do that again! Yeah, this week is just not good for me with airports :rolleyes:

Wow, waterlily. I hope things get better for you on Monday! I bet you won't ever forget the suit again, though!

My first interview is Wednesday at ECU. I don't know if I will have to reschedule because of Hurricane Ophelia. it's an 8 hour drive for me so I hope I won't get out there just to find out the school has been closed.

And I've got to wait until Monday to call admissions and find out! I'm gonna worry all weekend. . .

mustangsally65 said:
My first interview is Wednesday at ECU. I don't know if I will have to reschedule because of Hurricane Ophelia. it's an 8 hour drive for me so I hope I won't get out there just to find out the school has been closed.

And I've got to wait until Monday to call admissions and find out! I'm gonna worry all weekend. . .

oooohh that really sucks. I hope that hurricane just strays out into the seas....If there isnt enough to think about already. Good luck with everything! :thumbup:

got my first interview this monday (9/12) for my home state, University of Hawaii. i hear that, in general, the UH interviews are a little more laid back, but i don't want to take my chances. gosh, i feel like i need to do and get so much together before monday, ack!

I've had two interviews so far, and forgot something both times. My first one was at U or Rochester, and I forgot my deodorant. I bought some at a gas station at 7:15am on my way to the interview. Then yesterday I interviewed at UF and forgot my belt (though I remembered my deodorant this time). Thankfully, I wore a belt in the jeans on the drive up, and it barely fit through the loops on my suit pants. Thankfully, no one noticed. So dont' forget deodorant and a belt.

Always carry your clothes on rather than check them!!! You don't want to have to interview in your Old Navy sweats and flip flops.

projected storm path.....wed. early pm somewhere in the middle of NC and spinning back towards the coast.....thu. early pm southern virginia......i arrive for my interview at evms for friday on thursday at 3 pm....uh oh (but would probably just be heavy rain by then).

does anyone know what happens if a flight were to lets say cacelled to the next day (which shouldn't happen w/ mine since it's leaving at noon from bradley w/ a stop in baltimore after an hour or so)....i just thought it was interesting since it's obviously completely out of one's own control. I just hope my return trip friday night won't be rough.

don't forget the shoes and black socks!

mustangsally65 said:
Wow, waterlily. I hope things get better for you on Monday! I bet you won't ever forget the suit again, though!

Hey Sal!

Good luck to you!! Drive safely and I'll keep my fingers crossed about Ophelia!! You're going to do great!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :luck: :luck:

kalenakai said:
got my first interview this monday (9/12) for my home state, University of Hawaii. i hear that, in general, the UH interviews are a little more laid back, but i don't want to take my chances. gosh, i feel like i need to do and get so much together before monday, ack!

Damn I wish I could go to the University of Hawaii. Maybe someday I'll get to practice there (or retire there)....

indo said:
Always carry your clothes on rather than check them!!! You don't want to have to interview in your Old Navy sweats and flip flops.

i second this, NEVER check your suit. i had a friend who did, the airline sent it somewhere else, and, to make a long story short, she ended up borrowing a flight attendants uniform to interview in!!! carry your suit with you, the airplanes have a little "closet" for you to hang your stuff up.

i also remembered to put some floss and a breath mint in my purse for those after lunch interviews...

Also, keep in mind that the airlines don't give a damn if your entire life plan depends on you getting all the way across the country to your med school interview. My flight was flat out cancelled so I had to call the school and reschedule my interview for a week later. I had reserved a room using hotwire.com and so I lost all of that money since those reservations are unchangable. It was a pain.

humuhumu said:
Damn I wish I could go to the University of Hawaii. Maybe someday I'll get to practice there (or retire there)....
one day... there's always clinical rotations or residence here :)

indo said:
Also, keep in mind that the airlines don't give a damn if your entire life plan depends on you getting all the way across the country to your med school interview. My flight was flat out cancelled so I had to call the school and reschedule my interview for a week later. I had reserved a room using hotwire.com and so I lost all of that money since those reservations are unchangable. It was a pain.

You should have called hotwire and given a lame excuse for the room cancellation. Hotwire then just calls the hotel up and checks their refund policy. Most of the time they cancel for free, despite their no refund claim.

Well, I'm kind of disappointed to withdraw myself from this week's interviews. I rescheduled my ECU interview that was supposed to be Wednesday because of Ophelia. It's an eight hour drive for me and I didn't want to get out there and then have it be cancelled.

I was really looking forward to my interview. Now I have to wait. I should be used to waiting, though. Wait for AMCAS to get you processed and verified, wait for your secondaries, wait for your MCAT scores, wait to see if you've been accepted!

Hope the rest of you interviewing near the mid-atlantic coast are careful!

Should I call Eastern Virginia to see if they'll be cancelling their interviewing this week??? I have an interview there on Friday.

:scared:

chicagomel said:
Should I call Eastern Virginia to see if they'll be cancelling their interviewing this week??? I have an interview there on Friday.

its been degraded to a tropical storm. I think you should be alright

Thanks Freakingzooming! :love: I feel much better now.

chicagomel said:
Thanks Freakingzooming! :love: I feel much better now.

i'll see you there this friday!!! mwahahahahaha.

btw, where will you be staying? i'll be at the clarion.

i'll be staying with a student host, so i really don't know where. close to school, though. i'm glad to know there will be another SDNer there!
:)

yeah, I've gotta get a haircut too. I'm going tomorrow morning, but I don't want to. I want to grow my hair out until I have to get it cut before my wedding, but alas, I don't want to look unprofessional or anything.

TheProwler said:
yeah, I've gotta get a haircut too. I'm going tomorrow morning, but I don't want to. I want to grow my hair out until I have to get it cut before my wedding, but alas, I don't want to look unprofessional or anything.

ooo, wedding, congrats! I got my haircut last week so that it will be a good length by friday to give the "i didn't just cut my hair and i still look good" impression....which the second half will obviously be false

chicagomel said:

I was scheduled to interview at ECU tomorrow (wednesday), but I rescheduled. I heard this afternoon that they have closed the school for tomorrow, so I"m glad I didn't go all the way out there and then not get to interview.

I hope your interview isn't cancelled and that you are safe. But I thought I'd update you on that fact. In case you don't know, ECU is in Greenville, NC.

Good luck!

latest storm track keeps the eye going through NC and back into the ocean off the coast of VA....hopefully it stays that way, but probably still lots of rain