Interviews while deployed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gohokies2005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have spent the last 7 years as an active duty naval officer and will be applying to med school this cycle. I will be finishing my last prerequisite and MCAT this August and then applying... I realize this will be later than desired, but am pretty set on applying this summer.
I had been expecting to be in the states for the next year and be available/flexible for any interviews I receive, though I just found out that I will be deploying (unexpectedly) late this November and returning in May. My deployment dates are as sure a thing as the military can possibly give, so matriculating next year wouldn't be a problem, but I am now really worried about being able to interview, especially given the fact I will be applying kind of late.
Have any of you been in a similar situation? Have you and/or a colleague been given the opportunity to interview via some kind of VTC or Skype? I'll have access to a good internet connection while deployed (not on a ship). I have a relatively competitive application, expect to do well on the MCAT, and would hate to wait a full year because of this.
Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I know of an internist who did civilian fellowship interviews this way but I'm skeptical that med schools will be game. Since your application is going to be late anyway, you might consider applying next year. Applying early is such a significant advantage.

Agree with Gastrapathy. You'd be selecting for a very small few (if any) med schools willing to take you sight unseen. Better to wait until you can apply early and interview at a good selection of programs. You'll have better opportunities for what could be much lower tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... I'll admit I was hoping for a flood of great success stories, but apparently my situation isn't all that common. I really do appreciate the feedback.
I'm still undetermined at this point. There is a realistic chance I could be given a week to fly back stateside during my deployment to conduct interviews, but I certainly can't count on it at this point.
If I do proceed with applying this year I'll be sure to post an update to this thread eventually.
Thanks again for the thoughts, I just tend to be a little stubborn!

Hmmm... I'll admit I was hoping for a flood of great success stories, but apparently my situation isn't all that common. I really do appreciate the feedback.
I'm still undetermined at this point. There is a realistic chance I could be given a week to fly back stateside during my deployment to conduct interviews, but I certainly can't count on it at this point.
If I do proceed with applying this year I'll be sure to post an update to this thread eventually.
Thanks again for the thoughts, I just tend to be a little stubborn!

Stubborn is good. It will help you get through med school. A couple more points:

Applying when you can't put your best foot forward is not ideal. Some believe that there is a bias against reapplicants. Med school interviews do not occur the same week. As a late application, you'll have very little control/wiggle room on interviews. You can try calling the admissions offices of all the schools that send you secondaries and use the "I'm deployed and only back for a week" angle to try to get interviews but I doubt it will work.

Anyone have any experience, or heard any stories about interviewing for residency spots while deployed? Or on a hardship tour?

A good friend, gen surg colleague and now plastic surgery resident was deployed to Iraq and did VTC interviews. Matched at a top tier program and will be a chief this next year. He had to make a lot of phone calls to the programs, and discuss his situation with the program directors. He was up at 0200 in the MWR with a bunch of rowdy Marines during the interview. I think one of his favorite questions was "Is that guy behind you carrying a machine gun?"