Interviews while taking SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with doing interviews while doing an SMP?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are very few assignments in the traditional sense depending on which smp you are doing. However a single class has much more material than you will be accustomed to seeing in one sitting and tests are every 2 weeks. The difficulty comes in having to balance travel and studying in a way that enables you to be successful. I found that studying on planes, getting ahead on material etc helped me to do well regardless of my interviews but others didn't fare as well.

Does this answer your question?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are very few assignments in the traditional sense depending on which smp you are doing. However a single class has much more material than you will be accustomed to seeing in one sitting and tests are every 2 weeks. The difficulty comes in having to balance travel and studying in a way that enables you to be successful. I found that studying on planes, getting ahead on material etc helped me to do well regardless of my interviews but others didn't fare as well.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks. So it's simply a matter of being able to study independently and then perform well on exams, correct? Sounds a lot like college.

In essence, yes. There may be small groups etc that you have to navigate around but those are infrequent.

Do not fall behind is my best piece of advice. There is a lot of material to be memorized and it cannot be crammed like I used to cram for undergrad exams

Best of luck and feel free to pm me with more questions

If you have exams that fall on interview dates your SMP will probably work with you in terms of rescheduling exams. The point of an SMP is to get you into medical school afterall. It is probably best to wait to apply after you completed the SMP though.

Another reason why applying before you complete the SMP is terrible.

I agree. Or maybe just apply to your host SMP school if you're okay with going there.

A large portion of my SMP class was successful in gaining acceptance to a US allopathic medical school the same year. I imagine you would have a better shot the following year with all your grades but the process is such a shot in the dark I honestly can't be completely confident that would be the case