Interviews with cumGPAs in 3.0-3.3 range?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm confused...:confused:
1) If no AMCAS schools can give out acceptances before October 15th, how do you have 3?
2) Who is Dr. Remick? because he's definitely not the director nor the dean of admissions...
3) Never listen to interviewers who say you'll get in - they don't make the final decision on applicants. There was a recent thread about interviewers saying stuff like "oh you'll get in for sure," and unfortunately it doesn't necessarily happen...

:confused:

Early decision perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

Early decision perhaps?

but you can't apply to more than one school early. we either have a troll or someone that's incredibly naive. probably the former. if it's not, then i'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but interview assurances or not 100%.

I'm glad all this URM mess is being put to rest. So did anyone watch The Hills last night? Isn't it so scandalous that Lauren and Brody are messing around again? And what's up with Justin Bobby? Heidi and Spencer are so over by the end of the season I mean he hasn't even told his parents he's getting married.

To the OP: which schools are you the most concerned about? I have the premium edition of US News so I can look up some interview/acceptance stats if you want.

How much of a douche bag is Justin Bobby? I love Brody and Lauren btw. I really hope that the med schools don't read this post, figure out who I am and not let me in because I watch the hills.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't ask for details when he told me he would love to have me there. I think I was too happy just that the interview was going well. I guess I was probably a little naive to think that they would offer me an acceptance at an interview.

I didn't ask for details when he told me he would love to have me there. I think I was too happy just that the interview was going well. I guess I was probably a little naive to think that they would offer me an acceptance at an interview.

troll?

Quick question, how high do you think the MCAT has to be to offset a 3.1?

Quick question, how high do you think the MCAT has to be to offset a 3.1?

depends on a lot of things.

science GPA?
upward trend?
downward trend?
EC's?
LOR?

i'd shoot for a balanced 35+ regardless.

Hey guys,

So i'm a first-time US med school applicant. I applied to Canadian schools two years ago and got rejected...probably because of my stats. I'm getting a little paranoid about my chances now due to several factors:

GPA (Science and BCPM): 3.29
MCAT: 29O

I was also complete super late according to people on this forum. Just submitted my secondaries around Oct. 1..so i'm thinking it'll take over a month or so to be complete?

I've applied to a lot of the mid-low tier schools. I would like to think my application is pretty unique :) I moved to the states from canada and have been a research tech for the past year. I've shadowed and worked for a cardiologist and i've volunteered in a hospital for over 6 years.

What do you guys think? Think i'll get any interviews??? Perhaps even an acceptance? Really, there's nothing more I can do now...just play the waiting game...but it'd still be nice to get some feed back!

How much of a douche bag is Justin Bobby? I love Brody and Lauren btw. I really hope that the med schools don't read this post, figure out who I am and not let me in because I watch the hills.

omg i too am a huge fan! team LC all the way, heidi is such a loser (at least LC hasn't had a boob job...yet) justin bobby i'm not a fan of, jason w. is so weird (and has gained tons of weight due to rehab/not doing drugs) oh and also, audrina's ditziness gets to me sometimes. however,i love whitney's simultaneous ditzyness and smarts--amazing! gosh i love this show.

omg i too am a huge fan! team LC all the way, heidi is such a loser (at least LC hasn't had a boob job...yet) justin bobby i'm not a fan of, jason w. is so weird (and has gained tons of weight due to rehab/not doing drugs) oh and also, audrina's ditziness gets to me sometimes. however,i love whitney's simultaneous ditzyness and smarts--amazing! gosh i love this show.

Yes! I totally think we should start a group for SDNers who watch The Hills. I agree with all of the above although Heidi's wedding dress was really pretty. Too bad Spence is gonna dump her (I'm predicting). Maybe I'll get a student interviewer who is also a big fan of the show and parlay that into an acceptance...or become blacklisted as a cheesy-reality-show-loving freak. Oh but that won't happen, I mean who DOESN'T think Justin Bobby should go f himself? Seriously.

Hey guys,

So i'm a first-time US med school applicant. I applied to Canadian schools two years ago and got rejected...probably because of my stats. I'm getting a little paranoid about my chances now due to several factors:

I was also complete super late according to people on this forum. Just submitted my secondaries around Oct. 1..so i'm thinking it'll take over a month or so to be complete?

I've applied to a lot of the mid-low tier schools. I would like to think my application is pretty unique :) I moved to the states from canada and have been a research tech for the past year. I've shadowed and worked for a cardiologist and i've volunteered in a hospital for over 6 years.

What do you guys think? Think i'll get any interviews??? Perhaps even an acceptance? Really, there's nothing more I can do now...just play the waiting game...but it'd still be nice to get some feed back!

Hmm, you have a low GPA, slightly below average (matriculant) MCAT score, and you are Canadian; unfortunately, the odds are heavily stacked against you. With that said, it's always possible, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Hey guys,

Your stats aren't too bad. I know people who have gotten in with something arround your GPA and MCAT's. But one of your problems in the US schools is that you are Canadian. Your problem in Canada is that you have an O writing score (for some ungodly reason they seem to care about that. Anyway good luck. I'm sure everything will work out for the best

Umm... didn't anyone else take a HUGE offense to this comment? Are you calling URMs inherently dumb? Or am I just reading too much into this? Whether I am or not, I think that your comments on this thread are unacceptable and completely uncalled for. If you're so insecure about getting into medical school that you are making such rude comments about people you do not even know, there is probably a reason for it. So maybe you should stop wasting so much time in here... get better grades... find a new personality... have sex... do something.

Weren't you the one all upset about never having been kissed at 28 or something? After reading your comments, I am no longer surprised.

**SMH**

honestly...you are wasting your time.

The stupidity in her post is evident!!!! And plus...that's her in that avatar...she's butt ugly....fugly...as a matter a fact...I don't waste time on insulting fugly people...oh whoops I am being insulting now...I'm done

From the David Geffen SOM website: "Last year 5,467 applications were received. The Admissions Committee requested supplemental information from approximately 3,000 applicants and interviewed close to 600 students."

There offer around 150 seats ... so

3,000/5,467 = 54.9% received secondaries, 600/5,467 = 11% of those who actually applied (not % of those who received secondaries) were invited for an interview, and finally 150/5,467 = 2.7% accepted. Note: This is not taking into account your chance once you have a secondary, then from there chances of getting an interview, then from there chances of an acceptance (which obviously the numbers would be quite different for). However, just simply taking the number of people who apply, given the number of seats offered ... the rate is 2.7%.

hahahahahahaha faulty reasoning!!!!!!!
Good luck with that one!!!!
By the way...the Chem 153 series at your school is tooooooooooooo damn easy

I have a BCPM of 2.7 and a cum of 2.9 and I haven't had any problems getting interviews. In fact I already have a couple of acceptances. You should be fine.:luck:

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm...I am not trying to throw salt on your success...but I would refrain from joining in anymore...b/c you will surely get flamed.

Congrats though!!!!!

Congrats on being an AKA too...my mom and one of my best friend's are both AKA's

lol my girlfriend (who doesn't practice abstinence) is half hispanic/half African-american.

I love you more. I hope we both land nothing but acceptances and share a night out as med students..I'll buy the whisky sours.

Welcome to the fam...my brotha....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Your stats aren't too bad. I know people who have gotten in with something arround your GPA and MCAT's. But one of your problems in the US schools is that you are Canadian. Your problem in Canada is that you have an O writing score (for some ungodly reason they seem to care about that. Anyway good luck. I'm sure everything will work out for the best

Thanks for the input! I feel like there is still hope...canadian schools are crazy about stats though, so i feel like my chances there are even slimmer even for my in-province schools. We shall see how it all plays out i guess!