Interviews--women's clothing and logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PookieGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok it's clear that we must wear a dark suit. Obviously nylons. And a second pair in case of runs.

What type of shoes-- pointy or round tip? And how do you know whether it's appropriate to wear a shell or not? Is it ever appropriate to take off your suit jacket or is that a sign that you're too comfortable? All I have is a shell right now but am thinking I also need a button down. What color/ print?

And lastly on a logistical note, where do you put your luggage if you can't make it back to your hosts' place before heading to the airport post-interview??

Members don't see this ad.

i would elect for comfortable shoes above all else.

i read on a previous thread that you can ask the admissions office if there's a place to keep your luggage during the interview and its not a problem.

Seems to me shell vs. button up blouse is a question of geographic formality. East Coast schools tend to be more old-school and the button up will fly better there. Shells might be a little more casual and more appropriate for schools in the West.

I too am curious about taking off your jacket. Too casual? And I have a really cute black sleeveless vest suit, what are thoughts on that?

And I'd also tend toward comfy shoes. Chances are, there will be a walking tour of the school. And super-pointy shoes, while very cutting edge, might be a little off-putting to a conservative interviewer. I'd stay more on the conservative end of things.

I've also heard it's fine to bring luggage to an interview. Pack light so you can carry on, you don't wanna lose your luggage.

Diana

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I would not take the jacket off unless it is so hot you are going to pass out. In most professional environments I think that sleveless is somewhat iffy but someone correct me if I am wrong. Remember, dress for the position that you want to be in not that one that you have....anyways keep it on the conservative side once you get in then you can try to buck the system..

My shoes are pointy but low-heeled, I'm wearing a bright pink shell and a pretty scarf. I think it's appropriate; I have a job too, so I kind of stayed away from the really standard conservative stuff because I would never want to wear that to work. And I am in DC, which is pretty conservative, so I basically think if it's OK here, it will be OK for interviews. I hope I'm right! I do worry that I might stand out among all of the black-suited, sensible-shod interviewees. My first one's tomorrow so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Pointy or round toed shoes are equally appropriate. I think pointed or square toes are maybe a bit more professional, in my personal opinion, but trust me, no one will be looking, as long as they're closed toe pumps. Don't take off your suit jacket. For a button down, wear a solid color; the most professional are white, French blue, and gray. Always err on the side of more conservative.

"Sleeveless vest suit": definitely not ideal. You want a jacket (blazer).

Well, alrighty then, the vest suit is out the door! But it's so cute...

This may be a really *dumb* question... but what the heck is a shell?

There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers... :laugh:

My definition of a shell is a silk tank top. Something bright and colorful to go underneath a dark blazer. One older lady told me that wearing one is slightly more casual than a button up blouse. I think it might be a fun way to add some character.

Ah ok. Thanks DianaLynne :) I've seen the word "shell" in a few other threads and I always wondered what it was. FINALLY i know.

DianaLynne said:
Seems to me shell vs. button up blouse is a question of geographic formality. East Coast schools tend to be more old-school and the button up will fly better there. Shells might be a little more casual and more appropriate for schools in the West.

I too am curious about taking off your jacket. Too casual? And I have a really cute black sleeveless vest suit, what are thoughts on that?

And I'd also tend toward comfy shoes. Chances are, there will be a walking tour of the school. And super-pointy shoes, while very cutting edge, might be a little off-putting to a conservative interviewer. I'd stay more on the conservative end of things.

I've also heard it's fine to bring luggage to an interview. Pack light so you can carry on, you don't wanna lose your luggage.

Diana

i think vests go better with long sleeves. but i havent seen the one youre talking about so i couldnt say for sure. did you see catherine zeta jones in her vest suit? she looked so cute.

oh and you can put a blazer over the vest. esp if youre in cold weather.

oh i have a question for the east coast girls. do east coasters frown on extremely long, untethered hair? i mean, if it's well groomed and not flying all over the place. i didnt think it would be appropriate in interviews, but a dr from the west coast said that it would be ok.

bewitched1081 said:
oh i have a question for the east coast girls. do east coasters frown on extremely long, untethered hair? i mean, if it's well groomed and not flying all over the place. i didnt think it would be appropriate in interviews, but a dr from the west coast said that it would be ok.

Another reason why I like keeping my hair short...

PookieGirl said:
Ok it's clear that we must wear a dark suit.

Actually, I was the only girl at my Ohio State interview wearing a dark suit. The other girls had suits that were: beige, light turquoise, or light gray. I still think it's better to go with dark, though. The beige and turquoise suits looked too extreme. The gray suit looked nice.