Intra-articular facet injections: Spine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Effect of Facet Joint Injection Versus Systemic Steroids in Low Back Pain: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Ribeiro, Luiza Helena PhD; Vilar Furtado, Rita Neli PhD; Konai, Monique MD; Andreo, Ana Beatriz MD; Rosenfeld, Andre MD; Natour, Jamil PhD
Study Design. Randomized clinical trial

Objective. to compare the effectiveness of facet joint injection versus systemic steroid in patient with diagnosis of facet joint syndrome.

Summary of Background Data. The term facet joint syndrome has been used to define back pain originating from the facet joints. Treatment is mainly conservative, although interventions, including intraarticular injections and medial branch nerve blocks are used to manage facet-mediated pain. Several studies have evaluated the effectiveness of these interventions. Results of facet joint injection, however, are conflicting.

Methods. Sixty subjects with diagnosis of facet joint syndrome were enrolled in the study. They were randomized into experimental and control groups. The experimental group was submitted to intraarticular injection of six lumbar facet joints with triamcinolone hexacetonide; the control group was submitted to triamcinolone acetonide intramuscular injection of six lumbar paravertebral points. Visits were taken at baseline and at 1, 4, 12 and 24 weeks after interventions. Outcome measures were used: pain visual analogical scale, pain visual analogical scale during extension of the spine, Likert scale, improvement percentage scale, Rolland-Morris, short health survey (SF36), accountability of medications taken.

Homogeneity was tested using Student's T, Pearson's Chi- Square and Mann-Whitney tests. ANOVA was used to analyze differences in the groups over time and the Student's t-test to analyze differences between groups at each time evaluation.

Results. The groups were similar at baseline. Comparisons between the groups showed, in ANOVA analysis, an improvement in the experimental group regarding diclofenac intake and quality of life, in the "role physical" profile, assessed by SF-36.

In the analysis at each time point, an improvement in the experimental group was also found in Rolland Morris, in the improvement percentage scale and in the response to treatment, assessed by the Likert scale.

Conclusion. Both treatments were effective, with a slightly superiority of the intraarticular injection of steroids over intramuscular injection.

Members don't see this ad.

So lets add cost analysis into the quality of care and realize there is no role for IA facet injections as the same can be had by an LPN or MA via IM injections.

So lets add cost analysis into the quality of care and realize there is no role for IA facet injections as the same can be had by an LPN or MA via IM injections.

That's a superficial way of looking at it. Six joints were injected, but how do we know they were the right ones and why? Plenty of people have pain coming from higher levels on follow-up after I treat them on previous visits. The methodology from this paper sucks and no conclusions can be made from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a superficial way of looking at it. Six joints were injected, but how do we know they were the right ones and why? Plenty of people have pain coming from higher levels on follow-up after I treat them on previous visits. The methodology from this paper sucks and no conclusions can be made from it.

It's a dam* sight better than the studies used in the APS interventional care recommendations. One of their two studies was 'blind' intra-articular facet injections with no radomization.

It's a dam* sight better than the studies used in the APS interventional care recommendations. One of their two studies was 'blind' intra-articular facet injections with no radomization.

Given 10 tried I guarantee I could not get a blind facet injection into even 1 joint.

But if I had a sonosite.... :naughty:

Given 10 tried I guarantee I could not get a blind facet injection into even 1 joint.

But if I had a sonosite.... :naughty:

Then you would be intra articular?

My last six US guided injections I confirmed with fluoro and all were in first try.

Then you would be intra articular?

My last six US guided injections I confirmed with fluoro and all were in first try.

If you have to confirm with fluoro then what is the point?

I always confirm when I start using a new technique.

Did it with knees. Did it with hips. Did it with shoulders. When I'm happy I know what I'm doing I stop confirming. It's a great way to learn.

i always confirm when i start using a new technique.

Did it with knees. Did it with hips. Did it with shoulders. When i'm happy i know what i'm doing i stop confirming. It's a great way to learn.

1+

I always confirm when I start using a new technique.

Did it with knees. Did it with hips. Did it with shoulders. When I'm happy I know what I'm doing I stop confirming. It's a great way to learn.

And do you then bill for both? :naughty:

When imaging is bundled I do the one thats faster. For cervical facets(which I havent done with US) I gotta believe its flouro.