intradiscal ozone...the next best thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorthernDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on this ....I know the american association of radiology seems to be endorsing it...very popular in italy, and a few pain docs in Sydney Australia seem to be using it, both intradiscally and foraminally....any new literature on this...anyone using it in the states?

Members don't see this ad.

any thoughts on this ....I know the american association of radiology seems to be endorsing it...very popular in italy, and a few pain docs in Sydney Australia seem to be using it, both intradiscally and foraminally....any new literature on this...anyone using it in the states?

Doesn't make sense to me. I know people are trying tisseel in the disc. That may turn out to be pretty cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a patient come to me specifically for intradiscal ozone. She was not interested in any other treatment. I contacted the manufacturer of the ozone generator used in all the Italian intradiscal ozone studies. The machine is about $8000. Never moved forward but interested.

I know a guy in Mexico that does intravenous ozone for lots of things. He swears by it.

Yes , but has it been published in the " Revista Mexicana de Dolor"?

Last edited:
In the August 1 issue of Bloomberg Businessweek page 37 there is a story about the creator of GOOGLE giving out grants for entrepreneurs to do their own startups. One group which consists of a psychiatrist and computer programmer teamed up and were given a $40 million dollar grant to do their startup. They discussed business ideas ranging from food chain controls and clean energy and finally decided to make a high-tech treatment for back pain. I'll say it again: these two guys have $40 million dollars to create a business that creats a high-tech treatment for back pain!!!! :scared:

Keep in mind this is a business journal, not a medical one. The measurement of efficacy will be profit. It will be interesting to see what comes out of this but I am not hopeful that it will be anything better than what we already have. These guys have no idea what they bit off :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beat to the punch line.

Is Spinal Cord Stimulation an Effective Treatment Option for Discogenic Pain
Pain Practice, 08/01/2011
Vallejo R et al. – The current study indicates that spinal cord stimulation (SCS) may provide effective pain relief, improve disability, and reduce opioid usage in patients with discogenic pain.

Of course it is. n=13, 9 implanted.

lot of Pain Physicians are using Ozone in India since last 10 yrs, both Intra discal and foraminal, with mixed success rate, but the interest is now waning, coz recurrence of pain is quite high.

Saw a patient who had this done by a chiro in the rural rocky mountains. Said the chiro was "trained by several courses" Got to wonder about that oversight.

Ok 3 years later now.... Anyone doing this? Had a new patient come in today and had this done by another pain doc in the area. The biggest surprise was that BCBS paid for it! Thoughts?

Ok 3 years later now.... Anyone doing this? Had a new patient come in today and had this done by another pain doc in the area. The biggest surprise was that BCBS paid for it! Thoughts?

paid for the discogram maybe. cant imagine they paid for the actual ozone.

kinda like paying for air when I fill up my tires....