intraoperative monitoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicoborja

Clinical Audiologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a question related to personnel involved in intraoperative monitoring (IOM) for neurosurgery. What are your impressions/opinions of using intraoperative monitoring as a precautionary measure for neuroprotection? What personnel do u think are best suited to this task? (e.g., EEG/EP Techs vs. PhDs). Do you think IOM should be left to technicians that relay the information to the physician or should a PhD level clinician interpret the data and relay the recommendation(s) to the physician or should some combination/compromise of the previous two be made?

Additionally, have any of you found certain clinicians to be most proficient at IOM (i.e., EEG/EP Techs, audiologists, nurses, PAs, PhDs)?

Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

could somebody please reply?

What do you mean by intraoperative monitoring? Do you mean intraoperative EEG, EMG, Nerve conduction studies...what?? I would think that whomever is most proficient at interpreting the results would be the best person interpreting the results.

I know this is very late, but I used to work in Vedran Deletis's dept in NYC. He is known worldwide as a pioneer of IOM, especially MEP and TCS. To get an idea of what he does, check out some of his papers or look up the ASNM (American Society of Neurophysiological Monitoring).