Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello gem,

Welcome!! Nah, you aren't the oldest....I'm right there with you at 39 YO. I finished my 2nd B.S. in August 2012 (Biology w/Ag minor).

I'm considering mixed as well but do like the small/exotic that I currently do. Feel free to ask any questions. Ppl are pretty nice around here. :D

Have you heard anything yet??!! I'm rooting for you!! :luck: :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Have you heard anything yet??!! I'm rooting for you!! :luck: :xf:

Thanks, EngrSC! :)

I have only heard from 2/3 schools (Auburn and Mississippi) that my app is complete. Mississippi sent emails out stating that interview invites will go out by email next Friday. So I am a little on edge :scared::barf::wow:

Just trying not to think about it too much.....I know....easier said than done. :shrug:

It's so nice to see I'm not the only one freaking out while "patiently" waiting to hear back from schools!

I'm an Illinois resident, applied to Illinois, Mizzou, Tenn, and Oregon...interview at Mizzou and waiting to hear from the rest! I have interests in wildlife and ecosystem health, I loved ornithology and mammalogy and have interned at a wildlife rehab center. I'm passionate about disease ecology research, especially parasite and vector-borne disease, I have worked on avian malaria for like 3 years now or so (hopefully a pub will come out of this soon!) and hope to do research at a university or vet school if/when I graduate (+/- a residency...).

Aside from work, I love music. I play cello and have picked up banjo which I play in a community guitar group as well as a bluegrass band. I love cooking and am getting into hunting. I'm planning on my first hunt being the spring turkey season in Ohio! Can't wait!

Oh! And I have one of the cutest dogs in the world. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's so nice to see I'm not the only one freaking out while "patiently" waiting to hear back from schools!

I'm an Illinois resident, applied to Illinois, Mizzou, Tenn, and Oregon...interview at Mizzou and waiting to hear from the rest! I have interests in wildlife and ecosystem health, I loved ornithology and mammalogy and have interned at a wildlife rehab center. I'm passionate about disease ecology research, especially parasite and vector-borne disease, I have worked on avian malaria for like 3 years now or so (hopefully a pub will come out of this soon!) and hope to do research at a university or vet school if/when I graduate (+/- a residency...).

Aside from work, I love music. I play cello and have picked up banjo which I play in a community guitar group as well as a bluegrass band. I love cooking and am getting into hunting. I'm planning on my first hunt being the spring turkey season in Ohio! Can't wait!

Oh! And I have one of the cutest dogs in the world. :)

When is your interview at Mizzou?? Mine is the 6th, Im soooo excited!!! :D

I'm a veg!

Sweet! lol It's always so funny, the past few years when I have introduced myself to my new roommates or coworkers or others and they find out I'm a vegetarian, they are all like "oh that's right you wanna be vet! Is that why you are vegetarian?" I just think to myself, that I don't know any vegetarian veterinarians/pre-vet people, so I doubt there is a link. lol

That's cool though. How long have you been a vegetarian now? :) If you don't mind my asking.

I've been a veg for about 4 years. I started college up at U of Washington and had a lot of exposure to their "campus animal rights" club so that got me started...and once I did some reading and research I just decided its an industry I can't support! I am all for local, small operations and farms and try to educate people on eating sustainably, but I could never go back to eating meat. I do eat fish...can't stay away from sushi...and some cheese...but I can't drink milk or eat ice cream without feeling sick. TMI?!

And I was a vegetarian before I pursued pre vet

I am going to the college session as well. The adult session is during finals week. I know I'll be the oldest there, but I'm used to it having taken so many undergrads at my age. I've heard other non-traditionals say they have a tough time with it, but I usually get along with everyone. :)

When do you apply? Do you think the AVM program is helping you?

I'm applying this application cycle actually (still waiting to hear back...) so I don't know if the AVM program is helping me yet. I know at Tufts they said they love to see stuff like that on your application because it shows you're interested in not only vet med but in their school... just like how most schools like to see that you've visited or gone to an info session. Since it's only 9am-5pm I just kind of focused on the info being presented each day. I wasn't really trying to make friends but everyone was very friendly overall. I also stayed with my parents for the week so maybe if you were going back to an empty hotel room it might be a bit tougher? Another really helpful aspect of AVM is that you get to sit down with the admissions director and review your application/stats. She was honest about any possible negatives and gave me great advice on how to boost certain areas of my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'm new here, but have been lurking on and off for a while now...

I'm a 5th year student from NY, graduating in May 2013 with a BA in Psychology.

My current stats:
GPA: 3.14 (hoping to break a 3.2 when I graduate)
Science GPA: 2.75 (rough... I know :( )
GRE: Havent taken them... will be in the coming summer
I've been employed at an animal hospital for 6 years now... I started as a kennel assistant and then moved onto veterinary assistant and also recently trained as a receptionist.
I volunteered at a horse farm this past semester and also used to ride when I was younger.
I also spent this last summer interning at an Aquarium in the mammal department working with seals, sea lions, snow monkeys, and north american river otters. I'm currently back there finishing up my internship for the winter.

Right now, I'm in the process of finishing up my degree and pre-reqs as well as looking for research positions to occupy my time for the following year. I will be facing the application process for the first time this summer and I am incredibly nervous but also excited!

My current stats:
I've been employed at an animal hospital for 6 years now... I started as a kennel assistant and then moved onto veterinary assistant and also recently trained as a receptionist.
I volunteered at a horse farm this past semester and also used to ride when I was younger.
I also spent this last summer interning at an Aquarium in the mammal department working with seals, sea lions, snow monkeys, and north american river otters. I'm currently back there finishing up my internship for the winter.

Right now, I'm in the process of finishing up my degree and pre-reqs as well as looking for research positions to occupy my time for the following year. I will be facing the application process for the first time this summer and I am incredibly nervous but also excited!

:hello: hello from a fellow LI'er

Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum.
This is my first time applying and hopefully I get in this cycle.
I would post my stats; however, I'd like to do that once I get into a school :]
I'm from Chicago, IL and applied pretty much to midwest schools.
I wish you all good luck!

Hello, I'm a newbie on this forum.
This is my first time applying and hopefully I get in this cycle.
I would post my stats; however, I'd like to do that once I get into a school :]
I'm from Chicago, IL and applied pretty much to midwest schools.
I wish you all good luck!

I'm from sweet home Chicago too! :)

Good luck! Have you heard any good news yet or do you not what to jinx yourself by sharing?

Hi everyone! I've only posted a few times so far, but haven't introduced myself yet...

Not sure what to include, so I'll just kind of ramble and hope I capture the important parts. I studied animal science at Cornell, since when I entered college I was *sure* I wanted to be a vet, but then got to experience research and realized I loved being in the lab (and hated organic chemistry) so I thought perhaps I would explore a Ph.D route instead after graduation. I was fortunate as an undergrad to spend a semester working on humpback whale research, another semester working on Johne's disease research, and my final few semesters working on equine genetics research (and completed an honors thesis). After graduation, I worked in biotech, in molecular diagnostics, but I also (after a year) moved to the farm where I keep my horse and became live-in help. So I was juggling two jobs, research and horse care, and realized I had to explore the dual program options because I didn't want to give up lab time and I didn't want to give up being outside, working with horses and their owners. What else...other animal experience includes volunteering at a nature center (exotic animal experience), as well as interning for two summers at a small animal clinic and interning this past year with an equine vet practice. I completed some courses at a local college both before and after Cornell, so my overall GPA is 3.61. My science GPA (as calculated for NC State, which has a somewhat long list), is 3.38. GRE verbal 164, GRE quant 163 (I took the new test this past year).

So far I have only heard from the international schools I applied to (Edinburgh and RVC), which both took me without an interview (I still can't quite believe it). Penn rejected me from the dual program, but I'm still waiting to hear from a few other domestic schools/their vet school (should be hearing some news this week...ee!)

Good luck to everyone else applying! Looking forward to sharing the stress (and excitement!) with you!

I'm from sweet home Chicago too! :)

Good luck! Have you heard any good news yet or do you not what to jinx yourself by sharing?

Good luck to you too! :] As for my waiting period, I have an interview at purdue, been rejected to two so far and I'm still waiting from couple schools. How about you? (if you don't mind sharing). I wish everyone happy new year!

Good luck to you too! :] As for my waiting period, I have an interview at purdue, been rejected to two so far and I'm still waiting from couple schools. How about you? (if you don't mind sharing). I wish everyone happy new year!

Good luck at your Purdue interview!

I've got an interview tomorrow at 8AM at Mizzou...currently on their campus, just got back from a really nice drive around the area! It's pretty here! Other than that...no word yet, just torturous waiting!

Good luck at your Purdue interview!

I've got an interview tomorrow at 8AM at Mizzou...currently on their campus, just got back from a really nice drive around the area! It's pretty here! Other than that...no word yet, just torturous waiting!

Good luck on you interview tomorrow!!!! :luck: :luck::luck:

Good luck on you interview tomorrow!!!! :luck: :luck::luck:

I can't even explain how nervous I am...I set 4 alarms and my mom is calling to make sure I don't oversleep...gahhhh!

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm sure you'll do great!

I can't even explain how nervous I am...I set 4 alarms and my mom is calling to make sure I don't oversleep...gahhhh!

Relax!!! You will be fine....just be yourself :D

Your gonna do Fabulous!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!! :D :xf:

GOOD LUCK! :D You'll do great! Just relax your mind a bit and get all your interview stuff ready on side. And most of all, be yourself! Tell me how it goes!! :luck:

I've posted a few times on these boards, so I might as well be polite and introduce myself. :p I guess I'm a non-traditional student? I was an Animal Science major on the pre-vet track in undergrad but when I graduated I wasn't sure if vet med was the right career for me- I'd only worked w/companion animals and that field didn't seem right for me. I entered a PhD program in Pathology and working with mouse models introduced to me to the world of lab animal med. I felt compelled to re-apply to vet schools w/this new focus in mind and I have one acceptance so far that I'm very pleased about. :D Still waiting to hear from another school before I decide on whether or not to leave my grad program.

Hello! I've stalked this site for about 2 years now and finally decided to join!

25 y/o female; graduated last year with my B.S. in Animal Science; currently getting my MPH.

I applied last year to 5 schools and was rejected to all without interviews. I told myself that I am going to keep trying to get into vet school, even if that means I'm 40 y/o with 6 PhDs! :laugh: I decided to get my MPH as a way to strengthen my application....turns out I completely feel in love with public health:love: best move I could have made for myself!

This year I applied only to Mizzou and Minnesota (my IS). Rejected from Mizzou and waiting on MN. I don't really have high hopes for this year.

I've been married for 5 years and have two sons (3 y/o and a 1 y/o).

Stats:
CumGPA-3.67
SciGPA-3.4 (ish)
GRE-V 150, Q 150, A 3.5 (Boo! I hate the GRE!! Took it 3 times jsut to get that score.)

Vet experience:
3,000 hours of large animal
1,000 small animal
100 exotic

Animal experience:
Tons! Lived on a farm, worked on farms, 4-H member since I was 5.....blah blah blah.

So excited to finally be on here!

So I stumbled across this site yesterday while I was trolling the net for stats on vet schools and it's been very interested. Since I found this thread, I figured it would be handy if I actually began interacting with a community that I hope to join and experience stress and disappointment together... maybe some joy.

I guess I am not the oldest out there changing from a long career (or 2 in my case) to follow a dream, but my age does make me realize that I really have 1-2 shots at this (or who knows, maybe I'll apply until I'm 40). I'll be 29 in a month, been in the Army for over 11 years, was a civilian police officer for 5 years, and have been doing everything I can over the last 1-2 years to get hours towards my vet school application requirements. I've volunteered at the zoo, SA clinic, shelters, wildlife rescue, SA rescue, and random other animal volunteer events. I was fortunate to have the SA clinic offer me a job as an unlicensed tech and it's been great working directly with the vets on staff. Additionally, I scuba dive and hope to find an organization when I get home that I can accrue some hours while in the water doing another passion of mine.

Although I'm currently deployed, I'm trying to work with the vet here to gain some additional experience (hoping that deployment vet/animal experience would look nice on my app) before returning this summer to finish my BS in Bio - 2 years to go. Still need to take the GRE as well... oh joy, can't wait for that lovely experience. My GPA before I moved states was around 3.6-3.7... hard to remember off the top of my head, but I'm hoping I can maintain that average to remain competitive with everyone else.

Hard to believe I'll have to take the GRE within the next 16 months and begin applying sometime after summer 2014. I will then partake in some of these other threads of worrying about interviews, rejections, acceptances, and anything else they may throw out there. Although my ideal school would be UF since it's IS, I'm willing to apply to 8-10 that fit my goals, stats and app the best and take what I am offered.

Anyways, I've rambled enough, honestly was going to be shorter, but that's me in a couple nutshells.

I've been lurking for a long time and finally decided to join in.
I'm 22, an NJ resident, and a Biology major at a small liberal arts college in PA
GPA: 3.6, science GPA: 3.5
GRE: V 158, Q 158, A 5.0
Veterinary Experience:
About 800 hours at a small animal hospital. I was a volunteer and recently started to get paid. Another 100 hours between a few mixed animal vets and a racetrack vet.
Animal Experience: 2000+ hours pet-sitting and dog walking. 100 hours volunteering at a shelter near my school.
Other Stuff: Division 1 varsity track, president of the pre-vet club, and a peer tutor for bio and genetics. I recently started doing research at school on the prevalence of bird deaths due to striking windows around campus. I have two English Springer Spaniels.
Since I don't have an in-state I've applied to Cornell, Illinois, Oregon, Purdue, Virginia, Kansas, Michigan, and Wisconsin. I've had an interview at Kansas and I have one at Purdue on the 18th. I just got rejected from Cornell and wait listed at Oregon. I'm starting to get nervous and I hope that I start to hear some good news soon.
Good Luck to everyone! :)

Stats:
CumGPA-3.67
SciGPA-3.4 (ish)
GRE-V 150, Q 150, A 3.5 (Boo! I hate the GRE!! Took it 3 times jsut to get that score.)

Vet experience:
3,000 hours of large animal
1,000 small animal
100 exotic

Animal experience:
Tons! Lived on a farm, worked on farms, 4-H member since I was 5.....blah blah blah.

So excited to finally be on here!

I also took the GRE 3 times with scores similar to yours. It's nice to see I'm not alone :)

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

My current stats:

Your internship sounds like it would have been a lot of fun!

Sent from my MB612 using SDN Mobile

Hi everyone! I think after stalking SDN for a few weeks its finally time to introduce myself.

I am one of the few males that I've seen so far on this forum lol and I am also Hispanic and fluent in Spanish, so i guess that makes me the minority of the minorities lol :p

I live in NJ and I'm majoring in Animal Science and possibly a minor in Biochemistry. I am in my 3rd year, and still contemplating trying to finish in the 4 years... or taking an extra semester.... or an extra year.... or a year off :confused:

My current GPA is still on the lower side :( : 3.2

Animal Hours: worked at the research farm at school (work study as animal caretaker) since my freshman year about 400 hours
I also just took a course a Swine course this past semester on the farm (another 85 hours)

Vet Experience:
I started working at the vet hospital in July of 2012 as an animal assistant and I've recently started getting trained to do the "cool" stuff :clap: (blood drawing, monitoring during surgery etc)-- about 360 hours thus far

As of right now I'm interested in large animal/wildlife/zoo medicine.

Hi everyone! I think after stalking SDN for a few weeks its finally time to introduce myself.

I am one of the few males that I've seen so far on this forum lol and I am also Hispanic and fluent in Spanish, so i guess that makes me the minority of the minorities lol :p

I live in NJ and I'm majoring in Animal Science and possibly a minor in Biochemistry. I am in my 3rd year, and still contemplating trying to finish in the 4 years... or taking an extra semester.... or an extra year.... or a year off :confused:

My current GPA is still on the lower side :( : 3.2

Animal Hours: worked at the research farm at school (work study as animal caretaker) since my freshman year about 400 hours
I also just took a course a Swine course this past semester on the farm (another 85 hours)

Vet Experience:
I started working at the vet hospital in July of 2012 as an animal assistant and I've recently started getting trained to do the "cool" stuff :clap: (blood drawing, monitoring during surgery etc)-- about 360 hours thus far

As of right now I'm interested in large animal/wildlife/zoo medicine.

Awesome! Good luck to you. Just keep working on your GPA. And there are a handful of boys here (SOV, LIS, Bismarck to name a few).

I have been lurking around here since the last application cycle and it is really great to have a community that understands the pain and frustration of this whole thing.

I am starting to push 30 and have a variety of different work experiences. I have two Undergrad degrees, Animal Science and Microbiology. I did not do the best the first go around with the Animal Science degree and became quickly jaded.

I went out into the working world and gained some experience in Lab Animal care and then worked as a Surgical Tech at a local Veterinary Hospital. Still did not know what I wanted to do with my life, but I knew I wanted some sort of Graduate Degree. That required going back to school to raise my GPA a little more and received my Micro degree. Worked in a contract lab doing cell culture and animal research and then went to work at the public health lab doing rabies testing. I decided then that Vet School was really what I wanted to do and that is why I was so unsatisfied with my jobs and I was getting restless.

I retook two classes and then applied during the c/o 2016 cycle. I was rejected from all but Purdue where I was placed on the wait-list. I did get accepted into Graduate School, where I am a 1st year now. I am hoping to do well enough to prove that I can handle upper level courses. I have to retake the GRE (scores expired), but I am planning on applying again this coming year.

Good Luck to those who are waiting to hear from this cycle!

Hi everyone! I have been going on this forum for a few months now and will be applying to vet school in the next year or so. I love how everyone here is very nice and helpful :)

I'm going into my final semester of undergrad majoring in Biological Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.577
Science GPA (not really sure which courses make this up?)
Bio GPA: 3.655
Chemistry, Math, and Physics GPA: 3.228

As of now my vet/animal experience hours are lacking. I only have 400 hours SA hospital, 25 hrs working with vet techs at a lab animal facility, and around 7 hrs working at a barn. I hope to gain a lot more experience in the gap year or two before I apply!

Hi everyone! I have been going on this forum for a few months now and will be applying to vet school in the next year or so. I love how everyone here is very nice and helpful :)

I'm going into my final semester of undergrad majoring in Biological Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.577
Science GPA (not really sure which courses make this up?)
Bio GPA: 3.655
Chemistry, Math, and Physics GPA: 3.228

As of now my vet/animal experience hours are lacking. I only have 400 hours SA hospital, 25 hrs working with vet techs at a lab animal facility, and around 7 hrs working at a barn. I hope to gain a lot more experience in the gap year or two before I apply!

Each school has a different way of choosing which classes go into the science GPA, but rule of thumb is any biology, chemistry, math (Illinois counted all my math classes in there), and physics classes.

Experience is very important, especially with different vets/areas, like large animal, small animal, exotics. etc.

Good Luck with your experience! Let me know if you need advice for applications :)

So, I've been a lurker for a while now and I figured I might as well introduce myself. I'm a 22 year old female and this is my second application cycle. I was waitlisted after interviewing at the one school I applied to last year, VMRCVM. This cycle I've applied to VMRCVM, MSUCVM, and Auburn. I graduated from Virginia Tech last year with a B.S. in Biology. I've been married since 2009, and I have 3 dogs, and 3 cats :)

As far as stats go:

GPA: ~3.5
GRE: 1210
Veterinary experience: ~3,000 SA/LA
Animal experience: ~3,500

Been around for several months but thought I'd finally introduce myself.

21 year old female. Applied for the first time this cycle to 3 schools. So far interviews for all 3, Kansas, Minnesota, and Illinois. My first interview is next week.

Major: Animal Science Pre-Vet Concentration
Minor: Chemistry

Stats
Cum GPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.49 (according to U of I)
Last 45 hour: ~3.97
GRE: first attempt: 54th percentile: V 147 Q 153 A 4.5
second attempt: 70th percentile: V 152 Q 154 A 5.5

Vet Experience
at least 1000 hours split up between different vets/practices in small animal, large animal, equine, and wildlife/exotics.

Animal Experience
at least 2000 hours split up between farm work experience, volunteer zookeeper, wildlife rehabilitation volunteer, kitten fostering, working with animals in class (large animal, equine, companion), horse riding/training, work with lab animals (rats and dairy cattle for 2 different studies), study abroad trip to South Africa interacting with wildlife there

Other Experiences/ Awards
- Research Experience
- Pre-Vet Club Member and former officer
- Peer Mentor
- Self Employed Artist / Painter
- Theatre participant for 10 years (set designing primarily)
- worked in an office for 3 years doing paperwork
- Deans List
- Honors Program

GRE: first attempt: 54th percentile: V 147 Q 153 A 4.5
second attempt: 70th percentile: V 152 Q 154 A 5.5

How did you improve your GRE score so much?? :eek: 54th to 70th is a HUGE jump! Awesome job!

How did you improve your GRE score so much?? :eek: 54th to 70th is a HUGE jump! Awesome job!

I improved my verbal score by 40% and my math by 18% between my first and second and I fully believe it was the new GRE format...I was thrilled!

I improved my verbal score by 40% and my math by 18% between my first and second and I fully believe it was the new GRE format...I was thrilled!

You are a rockstar! :highfive:

I took the old GRE a couple years ago without studying ... didn't do horribly but didn't do great either. I'm going to study my butt off for the new GRE!

You are a rockstar! :highfive:

I took the old GRE a couple years ago without studying ... didn't do horribly but didn't do great either. I'm going to study my butt off for the new GRE!

Heehee a rockstar :::blushes::::

For me, being able to mark and go back on questions really helped...I think its much more test taker friendly! I bet youll do great :)

I've been lurking for a while so thought I should introduce myself. I'm a 21-year-old 4th year undergraduate, graduating in May with a B.S. in Animal Science with a pre-veterinary concentration.

Stats:

Cum GPA: 3.39 (I had one awful semester that dragged it down; I had around a 3.6 before :( )
GRE: Quantitative 156, Verbal 164, Analytical 4.0
I have roughly 750 hours of veterinary experience in equine, small animal, and large exotics, and I'd say around 8,000+ hours of animal experience.

I applied to 7 schools so far and have been rejected from 3, on hold for an interview for 1, and haven't heard from 3 yet.. I'm worried :(

Thanks! Well the first time I took it was over my spring break and at the time I signed up for it I thought I'd have time to study, but with the way my semester turned out with biochem and orgo 2 that didn't happen lol. So I gave it my best shot.

The second time I spent practically all summer studying for it (esp verbal because that was my weakness) and took it in August.

I went on Amazon and bought some Kaplan books, some flashcards, and studied consistently over the summer. I also took some practice exam questions that I had in my books and on the GRE website. So in my opinion studying does make a difference.

both times I took the GRE were the new format but I have seen practice questions from both the old format and new and I like the new version SOO much better!

Cum GPA: 3.39 (I had one awful semester that dragged it down; I had around a 3.6 before :( )
GRE: Quantitative 156, Verbal 164, Analytical 4.0
I have roughly 750 hours of veterinary experience in equine, small animal, and large exotics, and I'd say around 8,000+ hours of animal experience.

I applied to 7 schools so far and have been rejected from 3, on hold for an interview for 1, and haven't heard from 3 yet.. I'm worried :(

It's not unheard of for people to get in with lower GPAs. Your GRE score looks good too. Sometimes it depends on the schools you apply to as well, like out of state is harder usually. Good luck this cycle.