Invaluable advice to incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You definitely need to avoid the following: Budweiser, Coors, Schlitz, Pabst, and any light beer.

Move quickly to something with flavor: Guinness, Molson, Dos Equis, Becks dark.....

For the ultimate...try a Xingu. It's a Brazilian beer. Definitely not urine.

If you go to the Xingu website, they tell you Xingu is just bottles of expired kerosene. FYI.

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely need to avoid the following: Budweiser, Coors, Schlitz, Pabst, and any light beer.

Move quickly to something with flavor: Guinness, Molson, Dos Equis, Becks dark.....

For the ultimate...try a Xingu. It's a Brazilian beer. Definitely not urine.

Not sure about the Xingu, but otherwise, I agree. Another suggestion: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale or Old Brewery Pale Ale. Actually, anything by Samuel Smith's is awesome. There was a time I didn't like beer because of Bud, Coors, etc. Nasty water-downed stuff. The first beer I actually liked was at a microbrewery here in my hometown. That's when I realized beer could actually be good. It was all downhill from there....

OP, dont listen to these guys. They don't want your progress. I have heard it is a very good idea to have the entire Krebs cycle memorized before medschool. With that in your arsenal, the first 2 years and step 1 will be a piece of cake. It will also be great if you could purchase your own personal cadaver, and get some hands on disection experience before medschool starts.

what else... should i start wearing my white coat around my campus so i can get used to Dr. arsenewenger before med school? Register for Kaplan's USMLE class (though, i don't have to take it until 2009)? Should i get my own retractor so that i can be a master retractor holder before third year? and how much do i need in order to bribe medschool prof. for good grades?

Any advice is appreciated cos i really really really want to do well in med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why if you've read all the other posts about this would you decide to ask the question again, did you expect that the answer would be different for you, really? I'm not even going to repeat my advice for newbies because you apparently have already read it.

Psipsina, I didn´t ask for people to repeat advise.......Yes I have read other boards on this subject but, I was merely asking if anyone had a different opinion of the best use of time before starting school.

...so snippy

i only drink light beers because they help me maintain my rock-hard physique.

and by "rock-hard" i mean "fat".

and by "light beers" i mean "non-light beers".

Psipsina, I didn´t ask for people to repeat advise.......Yes I have read other boards on this subject but, I was merely asking if anyone had a different opinion of the best use of time before starting school.

...so snippy

well there are only like 5000 posts on this subject already, most of the time these threads get restarted because someone is unaware of the search function, I just think its funny that you read all of those posts and still didn't get it. they all came down to "there is nothing you can do that will make any difference, enjoy the final days of your freedom before you enter the enslavement we call medical education", how can you miss that?

Drink beer, visit the beach, bang your girlfriend, and above all RELAX! Don't even buy your textbooks until day 1.

Shouldn't SDN have a special forum set up for people who want to 'help' me in preparing for school? :laugh:

I will indulge your need for some different advice. Before I start, I want all you fellow medical students to note that I agree with you about relaxing and studying nothing, but I am only throwing this out there for that entering student who absolutely cannot contain their urge to read a textbook in preparation. The only thing that might help a little is if you get the anatomy text you will be using and read the introductory chapter and possibly the first actual anatomy chapter that you will be covering. This should not be done until maybe a week or so ahead of go. Most texts cover basic orientation terms and such in the intro chapter, so if you do not already know them, that may be helpful. If you do a fairly quick superficial read of the first anatomy chapter, it may help lessen the transitional shock slightly. If you now feel the urge to deride me, please reread the red section above.

Reactions: 1 user
Things I have been studying prior to matriculation

-The business of medicine.
-Real malpractice court cases(~400 cases thus far).
-How to relieve stress.
-How to maximize my ability to memorize.
-The Pay and politics involved with different specialties.

Things I have been studying prior to matriculation

-The business of medicine.
-Real malpractice court cases(~400 cases thus far).
-How to relieve stress.
-How to maximize my ability to memorize.
-The Pay and politics involved with different specialties.

got any tips on this?

got any tips on this?

Get a hot med student/nurse to quiz you, and offer positive feedback by removing an article of her clothing each time you remember something correctly. Once clothing is gone, well ..... i'm sure you can think of something. :cool:

Get a hot med student/nurse to quiz you, and offer positive feedback by removing an article of her clothing each time you remember something correctly. Once clothing is gone, well ..... i'm sure you can think of something. :cool:

hahah i love it :laugh:

well there are only like 5000 posts on this subject already, most of the time these threads get restarted because someone is unaware of the search function, I just think its funny that you read all of those posts and still didn't get it. they all came down to "there is nothing you can do that will make any difference, enjoy the final days of your freedom before you enter the enslavement we call medical education", how can you miss that?

Psipsina---I didnt start the thread and yes I read one thread about this last week I believe and I was browsing through this so I posed a question. I am aware of the search function in SDN, and I would not have started a thread about this because like I said I´ve already read on this......... that doesn´t mean I wasn´t wondering about opposing views.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about the Xingu, but otherwise, I agree. Another suggestion: Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale or Old Brewery Pale Ale. Actually, anything by Samuel Smith's is awesome. There was a time I didn't like beer because of Bud, Coors, etc. Nasty water-downed stuff. The first beer I actually liked was at a microbrewery here in my hometown. That's when I realized beer could actually be good. It was all downhill from there....

I disagree. Yes, some of these beers taste great, but they are a special (and pricey) treat. Your maximum loan is only so big. If you're going to be a medical student, you need to learn to drink large quantities of very very inexpensive beers. If you're in the Northeast, might I suggest Lion's Head, which does pretty well for a beer that costs $9.99/case of 24 bottles. Yes you heard that right, BOTTLES for $10. They even have little puzzles in the cap so that when you're all hammered, you have free entertainment included.

If beer's not doing it for you, Bankers Club makes a "fine" variety of handles of cheap hard liquor that you can purchace for under $15. No more of this hoity toity expensive stuff. That's for when you become a doctor. For the next 4 years, you drink like a bum. That means lots of 40s, straight vodka from a plastic handle, and whatever you can swindle for free. Congratulations and good luck on your "journey" into medicine. Say goodbye to your soul.

Drink beer, visit the beach, bang your girlfriend, and above all RELAX! Don't even buy your textbooks until day 1.

Agree, but be more respectful to your girlfriend than the wording above suggests.

Gentlemanly yours,
Critical Mass

Agree, but be more respectful to your girlfriend than the wording above suggests.

Gentlemanly yours,
Critical Mass

Thank you for your polite criticism. I'll be sure to follow your example of polite, non-degrading, feminism from now on.

I think we all could learn an example of appropriate, non-sexist behavior from Critical Mass. :p

I disagree. Yes, some of these beers taste great, but they are a special (and pricey) treat. Your maximum loan is only so big. If you're going to be a medical student, you need to learn to drink large quantities of very very inexpensive beers. If you're in the Northeast, might I suggest Lion's Head, which does pretty well for a beer that costs $9.99/case of 24 bottles. Yes you heard that right, BOTTLES for $10. They even have little puzzles in the cap so that when you're all hammered, you have free entertainment included.

If beer's not doing it for you, Bankers Club makes a "fine" variety of handles of cheap hard liquor that you can purchace for under $15. No more of this hoity toity expensive stuff. That's for when you become a doctor. For the next 4 years, you drink like a bum. That means lots of 40s, straight vodka from a plastic handle, and whatever you can swindle for free. Congratulations and good luck on your "journey" into medicine. Say goodbye to your soul.

I was just waiting for you to suggest malt liquor, like a Colt 45. In which case I was going to have to block any further posts you made. ;)
You never did--thus you're OK in my book. As my avatar suggests, I have standards, you know.

Thank you for your polite criticism. I'll be sure to follow your example of polite, non-degrading, feminism from now on.

I think we all could learn an example of appropriate, non-sexist behavior from Critical Mass. :p

He has good taste in avatars....so his advice must be worth something.

If you're in the Northeast, might I suggest Lion's Head, which does pretty well for a beer that costs $9.99/case of 24 bottles. Yes you heard that right, BOTTLES for $10. They even have little puzzles in the cap so that when you're all hammered, you have free entertainment included.

Best advice in the thread. my friends and i found this stuff this past summer. hell, the bottle could even pass as being classy looking which could sometimes count for something...;)

cheers :thumbup:

Wow, I can't believe you haven't gotten started yet. Here's a brief summary. It's not all encompassing but it's a good start.

Send an e-mail to each one of the first years or the first year list serve asking for course materials. If they aren't forthcoming with the information e-mail the professors and course directors themselves. If that's a brick wall then take it up with the Dean - it's better to establish yourself as a power player early on so no one gets in your way of honoring anatomy.

Try to get through the first 2 units (e.g. anatomy & biochemistry) by the time classes start so you can skim those while reading ahead for the next 2 units. This way you can stay on top of everything and know what is coming.

It is especially important to know what information is being discussed in each lecture and come to class with no less than 5 insightful, thought provoking questions to show not only your peers but more importantly your professors your mastery of the subject. Also, if you want to really impress people do a pubmed search on each major topic and e-mail out citations and abstracts of relevant current literature you found interesting.

While you're at it you should decide between dermatology, plastic surgery, and orthopedics and contact the residency director at your school. Arrange to have a faculty mentor to shepherd you through medical school and also to broker your position in a research lab.

Ideally the lab group incorporates both basic and clinical science so you can kill two birds with one stone. As a medical student now you'll be in a managerial position overseeing the work of undergraduates, graduate students, and coordinating the post-docs. Your best bet is to check in with the grad students weekly and have them e-mail you their results. Give these to the post-doc to write-up and then send the manuscript back to the grad student for fact checking. Then send it to the PI and bingo, you're 1st author time and time again.

Clinical research is a bit different. Take the data from the nurse or research assistant to a statistician. Have him crunch the numbers and give the statistical findings to the PI. He'll likely be impressed enough it was statistically significant and write the paper himself.

If you can accomplish these things by the time orientation comes around you won't be as behind everybody else.

it's not uncommon for one student to badmouth another to a surgeon to score points. this is an important lesson. if you want to show someone else up, DO NOT BADMOUTH THEM. doctors were once students too, and they recognize this as toolishness. instead, outwork them. be more proactive, but don't be an OCD jackass too. you'll learn the line when you begin school. i've had other competitors badmouth me, and doctors actually talk to me about "what their deal is". if you said "theyre anal-retentive" (word of the day), then you're stooping to that level. a more diplomatic answer would be "i'm really surprised he's said that about me, he's been very cordial with me in class and other social events". diplomacy to the doctor, stickin it to the anal-retentive bastardo

Wow, that is pretty awful. I would have a hard time restraining myself from socking the offending student in the face if I learned they were badmouthing me to another doctor.

Wow, I can't believe you haven't gotten started yet. Here's a brief summary. It's not all encompassing but it's a good start.

Send an e-mail to each one of the first years or the first year list serve asking for course materials. If they aren't forthcoming with the information e-mail the professors and course directors themselves. If that's a brick wall then take it up with the Dean - it's better to establish yourself as a power player early on so no one gets in your way of honoring anatomy.

Try to get through the first 2 units (e.g. anatomy & biochemistry) by the time classes start so you can skim those while reading ahead for the next 2 units. This way you can stay on top of everything and know what is coming.

It is especially important to know what information is being discussed in each lecture and come to class with no less than 5 insightful, thought provoking questions to show not only your peers but more importantly your professors your mastery of the subject. Also, if you want to really impress people do a pubmed search on each major topic and e-mail out citations and abstracts of relevant current literature you found interesting.

While you're at it you should decide between dermatology, plastic surgery, and orthopedics and contact the residency director at your school. Arrange to have a faculty mentor to shepherd you through medical school and also to broker your position in a research lab.

Ideally the lab group incorporates both basic and clinical science so you can kill two birds with one stone. As a medical student now you'll be in a managerial position overseeing the work of undergraduates, graduate students, and coordinating the post-docs. Your best bet is to check in with the grad students weekly and have them e-mail you their results. Give these to the post-doc to write-up and then send the manuscript back to the grad student for fact checking. Then send it to the PI and bingo, you're 1st author time and time again.

Clinical research is a bit different. Take the data from the nurse or research assistant to a statistician. Have him crunch the numbers and give the statistical findings to the PI. He'll likely be impressed enough it was statistically significant and write the paper himself.

If you can accomplish these things by the time orientation comes around you won't be as behind everybody else.

Man how bored, pathetic, or lonely must you have been to have wasted your time writing the most sarcastic essay of all, and I emphasize ALL, time.

Yep, your feminist girlfriend might want to bang YOU. ;)

CM, your avatar needs to eat a sandwich. :smuggrin:

Well, ya know, with all of my good lady friends sounding off on this thread, I have to stick up for their honor.

Much respeck. :cool:

DB--I'm certain that you're much prettier than the girl in my avatar.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

There's something I'm kinda confused about. Everyone says how important research is for applying to residency, especially the competitive specialties, and it seems like so many med students do research. However, at all of my interviews I asked about doing research while in med school, and they all told me that it's possible, but most likely you won't have time to do it while taking classes. So how do people find time to do research, other than the summer after first year?

in all likelihood, you are probably talking about school to the more motivated part of students gunning for top specialties (derm, plastics, ophtho, etc). secondly, the ones who like giving advice are the ones doing well. the rest seem to chill out and don't really talk about school unless asked specifically. so when you think "everyone does research" they probably mean they did research M1/M2 summer, and only a few did year-long concurrent research

the majority does not.

with that said, it all comes back to my advice on planning a schedule. when you have an entire day planned, you'll see exactly how many hours a week you have remaining. in doing so, you can talk to a bunch of researchers, and find someone with more flexible hours. you then put in the alotted time per week at your own schedule.

everyone says it is very difficult, but it depends more on outlook. i love research because i can measure it in short-term successes. every publication is another line on my resume, every article is another spot in a journal, and my mark in the field, and every day of research i actually get to meet patients. so while others may see it as a chore, i'd MUCH rather research than study. so "down-time" for me isn't exactly downtime, it's research time.

i don't go out on weekends, i don't see movies on friday nights. i stay in and write that paper or look up charts. i go celebrate when i get published (much rarer than post-exams). so the admissions guy you talked to who said its doable, yes, very doable. but very few people actually do it.

they say you have three full years to figure out your specialty. if you want something coompetitive, but aren't sure what (and IMO that's kinda weird), or are very surgical oriented, but don't know what yet, i say shadow your butt off first half of the first year. get a feel for the field. try to make a few educated guesses at some fields, and start research there. you know yourself, and will probably make a pretty accurate guess. even if you are completely off, the publications look good, regardless of the field you published in.
many people change their minds third year after rotations, but many others don't. dont assume you will or won't, keep an open mind, but understand yourself too. some of you know you can never do psych of peds (like me) whereas others know they simply can't stand the sight of surgery.

I was wondering when I had posted in this thread...only to realize it was almost three years ago. Wow.

and yes, people study 10 hrs and waste lots of time. that's one thing you have to pick up on immediately. that's why i stress having schedules that you adhere to strictly. for me, i'm up by 5am and in the library by 6am. i'll leave at noon to get lunch, 6pm for dinner. i take ten minute breaks between every lecture i learn. i'm generally done studying by 7-8pm and relax till 10pm by going to the gym, watching a tv show, etc. i'm in bed by 1030. weekends i wake up later and go to bed whenever i want. you need a break! saturday's my break day, sunday's my research day.

Please oh please tell me that's not your every day routine. Please please please. I'm requesting my deposits back and going into contracting if this is true.

Please oh please tell me that's not your every day routine. Please please please. I'm requesting my deposits back and going into contracting if this is true.
Well, for some people it is, I guess, but if you're not honoring every class with rigor like that, you're wasting your time. I've set my sights a little lower (no derm, thanks), and I was up by 2pm today and in the library by 3:30pm, and I'm already getting bored. Might be time to go home and play Call of Duty 2. I've been doing better than the mean on most of our exams too. The two weeks after exams is pretty lax (and we just had spring break), and the two weeks before exams is pretty intense. Most people could do just fine with 6 hours of studying a day, IMO. If you want to be #1, it'll take a lot more than that though.

What's a typical way you get "screwed" in this respect? Is it simply a matter of someone stealing your stuff, gossiping about you, or just discouraging you?

The gossip is a big one. It is like high school in that respect, only those rumors were about sex that I never had. Good times. Good times.

Let's say that somebody distributes a list with everybody's class rank on it after the first semester. Then he gets scared when admin finds out, and he goes looking for somebody to blame so that he doesn't get caught violating everybody's privacy. So he picks off some of his colleagues who post on SDN who complained about privacy being compromised as a result of the situation. He leaks it back to the deans that they are talking about said list on SDN and were responsible for distributing it. The deans can't do anything about it because there is no proof, but out of anger, they tell the student council to convene a kangaroo court and leak the names of the so-called accused who were never guilty to start with. In the meanwhile, you wonder what effect the ordeal is going to have on your dean's letter even though you did nothing wrong. That's how somebody becomes a victim of his own competativeness and screws you over.

<-----That's when people decide to behave more anonymously on SDN.

Stay below the radar & don't try to be the life of the party in your class. A couple of people in my class who didn't heed this advice now have pictures posted on the internet that will likely remain there in perpetuity -- not the kind of pics you'd want a prospective PD to see when you're applying for residency.

You can still have fun, but keep it separate from med school. In other words, don't **** where you eat.

Stay below the radar & don't try to be the life of the party in your class. A couple of people in my class who didn't heed this advice now have pictures posted on the internet that will likely remain there in perpetuity -- not the kind of pics you'd want a prospective PD to see when you're applying for residency.

You can still have fun, but keep it separate from med school. In other words, don't **** where you eat.

:thumbup: Trudat.

It's a facebook-happy world.

The gossip is a big one. It is like high school in that respect, only those rumors were about sex that I never had. Good times. Good times.

Let's say that somebody distributes a list with everybody's class rank on it after the first semester. Then he gets scared when admin finds out, and he goes looking for somebody to blame so that he doesn't get caught violating everybody's privacy. So he picks off some of his colleagues who post on SDN who complained about privacy ... That's how somebody becomes a victim of his own competativeness and screws you over.

<-----That's when people decide to behave more anonymously on SDN.

Thanks for the warning about this. I'm used to this kind of thing from the business world (people attempting to trash your reputation by making stuff up about you to gain an advantage), so it looks like I'll need to be prepared for more of the same stuff.

Thanks for the warning about this. I'm used to this kind of thing from the business world (people attempting to trash your reputation by making stuff up about you to gain an advantage), so it looks like I'll need to be prepared for more of the same stuff.

Dude, the business world has nothing on med school drama. Think more along the maturity level of 9th-10th grade cheerleaders competing over the quarterback of the football team.

Dude, the business world has nothing on med school drama. Think more along the maturity level of 9th-10th grade cheerleaders competing over the quarterback of the football team.

:laugh: OK, I'll think back to the 9th grade then. :rolleyes:

this is what you do.

put a few forums on your fav list & browse through them to get a feel for each class. all those topics on "i failed anatomy" .. just look at the advice being given.

also search forums/net to download relevant stuff for each subject.
check amazon.com & this forum for reviews them.

don't study anything. just develop a nice little arsenal so when you start med school, you have tons of info on your comp to help guide u.

like everyone said, enjoy ya time off.

Reactions: 1 users
that is indeed my weekly schedule
however, it's because i do more boards studying than class studying, and a lot of research.

if you cut out boards and research, and you just have class left, it's a lot better

also, it doesn't get that bad till second year

and the med school drama is very funny if you are not a part of it. but god forbid you laugh out loud, your back in the middle of the ****storm.

that is indeed my weekly schedule
however, it's because i do more boards studying than class studying, and a lot of research.

if you cut out boards and research, and you just have class left, it's a lot better

also, it doesn't get that bad till second year

and the med school drama is very funny if you are not a part of it. but god forbid you laugh out loud, your back in the middle of the ****storm.

So what's it gonna be? Plastic or Pediatric Neurosurgery?

So what's it gonna be? Plastic or Pediatric Neurosurgery?

to be honest, i have no friggin clue. just something surgery. of note, i spent all of yesterday riding the subway lines to figure out how to avoid paying 10 dollars per cab ride to other hospitals i do research at. it ended up costing, thats right, 10 dollars.

i do have my dick around days, which my researcher keeps yellin at me about. its days like these i say plastics. but then i watch dr. 90210 and say oh dear god hell no.

i just thought of another tip for all you gunners. buy first aid for step 1 your FIRST year. chill out with anatomy, it's a kick in the balls at first, but then doesn't show up on your boards. by biochem you'll be in the swing of things.

go to kinkos, and get them to cut the binding of your book. its copyright, so they might get all pissy, but slipping them an extra couple bucks usually does the trick. then, as you go thru your classes and find important things that aren't in your first aid, write it down on some plain paper and slip it into your first aid.

you may think this is a little over the top, but think about it. it'll take an extra fifteen minutes to do at the end of a day, a few times a week, and becomes a good resource for later. when you get to board studying, you'll realize that there's no clear-cut gold standard review for biochem, so this may help a lot.

when that first summer comes around and youre either 1) doing research or 2) relaxing on the beach, you got something to do while waiting for computers to finish analyses or fighting off that morning hangover

Great thread appreciate all the solid advice.

Naegleria brain, i don't know if i missed it but in ur schedule just wondering which time block included ur classes or do u not attend the majority?

If you found a study method that worked for you in med school, use that as a foundation. Don't totally revamp your study habits because of how your classmates study. Their methods will probably not work for you.