Investment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJaysFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In your opinion what is a better investment for a Canadian student

1) Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine-70K tuition, domestic education, very high residency match, top 10 in primary care, DO degree new to Canada though

2) Irish Medical School-Get the MD, 60-70k tuition, risky in getting a residency match in USA but the best of all int'l school for Canadian spots (not guaranteed though)

3) SGU-Considered the best carrib med school with MD degree, rotate in the US, 50k tuition, however stigma of carrib, residency may take a few years to eventually match (not 100% on this), most grads primary care/internal med, higher attrition rate

Members don't see this ad.

Here are my two cents.

1) If I had the intent on practicing/living in the US after school, I'd take the DO route if I had too. But, I'm still not 100% sure what a DO degree is and how it's different from a MD

2) Going to Ireland sounds like the best option (to me). Tuition is expensive, yes. Residency is difficult to obtain, apparently. But I think with high board scores and experience, it'll be simplest out of the three options to go back to practice in Canada.

3) I have been told by Caribbean students to stay away from Caribbean schools because they take on too many students and the quality of education isn't as great as it used to be.

These are just my opinions though. You need to weigh out your own pros and cons, and dig a little bit into each option to get more accurate info (ie, email the schools directly and don't rely on what people on message boards say).

In your opinion what is a better investment for a Canadian student

1) Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine-70K tuition, domestic education, very high residency match, top 10 in primary care, DO degree new to Canada though

2) Irish Medical School-Get the MD, 60-70k tuition, risky in getting a residency match in USA but the best of all int'l school for Canadian spots (not guaranteed though)

3) SGU-Considered the best carrib med school with MD degree, rotate in the US, 50k tuition, however stigma of carrib, residency may take a few years to eventually match (not 100% on this), most grads primary care/internal med, higher attrition rate

Have you considered Australia? There are plenty of nice medical schools in Australia; a bit cheaper (still expensive!) than Irish medical schools with a good name. And I know lots of Canadians who've gone to Australian and returned to the states or Canada.