Iowa or Cal State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Yotakis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am interested in pursuing a Masters in Speech Pathology (perhaps even going straight to a Phd if possible) and have started to look at possible schools offering the program.

Iowa seems to stick out, and I have read elsewhere on this forum that some hospitals or other employers will definitely attach importance to the college at which one has completed his degree. However, I am interested in staying in California, for personal reasons, but also because I am potentially interested in Accent Modification and even perhaps bridging into speech recognition / speech perception, and I find that I would be better off completing my degree in California (Cal State Northridge) where it would be easier to make contacts with people in those industries during those two years.

So my dilemma is this: IOWA is often ranked #1, but CSUN is ranked around #100, and this is a significant difference. Just HOW significant it is, I do not know. I would appreciate any feedback from active SLP's or anyone related to the field.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.