Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! I didn't apply to Iowa, but am a first time applicant. Typically is this how the applicant process goes for majority of schools? The first academic review then the committee (LOR, experience etc.?) I have a great GPA but horrible GRE (can;t take standardized tests well).

Thank you!
What all schools did you apply to? Each and every one has a different way of evaluating applicants (that includes for selecting for interviews as well). Some value the GRE or GPA more than others, while some put more emphasis on things such as experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems each school has its own way of doing it… some explicitly state they look at gpas and gres in phase 1, then move on to the more subjective criteria without looking at grades at all thereafter (ie., Illinois says they do this). They are all different.

Hello! I didn't apply to Iowa, but am a first time applicant. Typically is this how the applicant process goes for majority of schools? The first academic review then the committee (LOR, experience etc.?) I have a great GPA but horrible GRE (can;t take standardized tests well).

Thank you!

Yes and no. Some schools do academic, then committee. Some do both at the same time and will let those with lower GPAs move on to an interview if the applicant is strong in other ways. It really varies with from school to school, and not all of them are as transparent as ISU.

Members don't see this ad :)
What all schools did you apply to? Each and every one has a different way of evaluating applicants (that includes for selecting for interviews as well). Some value the GRE or GPA more than others, while some put more emphasis on things such as experiences.

CSU, UCDavis, WSU, and OSU (Oregon). Not all of them mention something. I believe CSU has a phase system but I am not too positive how it works as the first "phase" is just a complete application, phase 2 is for combined degrees (me) and phase 3 says basically everyone else. Anyone have any further info for me?

I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Check the individual threads for those schools for more info! I have been told that CSU really looks at everything. There is another thread showing the stats of admitted students and someone got into CSU with a fairly low GPA. I wish I had seen that before, I probably would have applied there too!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey question guys! If you don't get in this round (which I hope you do :), what are your plans? Do you have a plan B? Did you apply for fall back schools that are nonvet? Just curious! Thanks!

Hey question guys! If you don't get in this round (which I hope you do :), what are your plans? Do you have a plan B? Did you apply for fall back schools that are nonvet? Just curious! Thanks!

Plans B and C involve reapplying while working as a research assistant or vet tech and moving to a state whose vet school isn't as numbers heavy as Florida's to get IS status. I really don't want to apply more than once though so I was really strategic in how and where I applied so I have high hopes I'll get in this round.

I'm sure this has been addressed before - but should I bring my parents to my interview?

Iowa State allows two guests per interviewee. I have worked at ISU vet school since my freshman year and I really want my parents to be able to go on the school tour to see the facilities. Also, I think the different informational sessions would be beneficial for my parents to see - especially since they will be helping me out financially. However, I do not want to seem immature for bringing my parents. Does anyone have ideas or know whether many people brought guests to the interview day in the past??

That's a really good question, I'm curious too because I plan on taking one or both of my parents for any interviews I get since they are helping me out with all of this!

As for backup plans I'm going to probably reapply if need be. Hopefully I won't have to though since I went pretty hard on this cycle by applying to 10 schools. If I do have to though I will probably knock out some missing prereqs, to expand the list of schools I can apply to.

I'm sure this has been addressed before - but should I bring my parents to my interview?

Iowa State allows two guests per interviewee. I have worked at ISU vet school since my freshman year and I really want my parents to be able to go on the school tour to see the facilities. Also, I think the different informational sessions would be beneficial for my parents to see - especially since they will be helping me out financially. However, I do not want to seem immature for bringing my parents. Does anyone have ideas or know whether many people brought guests to the interview day in the past??
There were a bunch of people who brought their parents along last year to the interview, so if you want to bring them please do! :) There were also people who brought friends, spouses, siblings, you name it. Whoever you want to come along is up to you, and there certainly won't be anyone who will look down at you because you brought your parents.

If the plane tickets weren't so expensive, I'd bring someone along for moral support. My friend went to every single one of her interviews last year with her mom and they loved talking to her. :)

Is anyone applying for a dual program? Do you apply for the DVM program first then apply for the other programs later? Or do you do both at the same time. :| I wish all the Universities were the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a really good question, I'm curious too because I plan on taking one or both of my parents for any interviews I get since they are helping me out with all of this!

I was in my late-20's and I took my parents with me the first time and mother with me the 2nd. It was nice to have someone there to calm my nerves :) There are a lot of parents there, they will not be bored either. They will have different things going on during the interviews, also some of the parents will sit in the coffee shop area and talk to one another.

Like I said... I had no shame taking my parents :) I was nice to have my mom there to keep me from having a nervous breakdown when the rental car got a flat tire during interview day!

I was in my late-20's and I took my parents with me the first time and mother with me the 2nd. It was nice to have someone there to calm my nerves :) There are a lot of parents there, they will not be bored either. They will have different things going on during the interviews, also some of the parents will sit in the coffee shop area and talk to one another.

Like I said... I had no shame taking my parents :) I was nice to have my mom there to keep me from having a nervous breakdown when the rental car got a flat tire during interview day!
Also helpful to have someone to talk to about your feeling re: the school. Especially since you'll be super nervous and probably won't remember anything!

Got my REJECTED message today. Good luck to everybody else~!

Got my REJECTED message today. Good luck to everybody else~!

Sorry to hear. :C Were you rejected straight out of academic review or did you get moved onto committee review before?

So my application status is still none and gpa's are not even calculated.....Is that the academic review or does it take a while for that to pop up? Anybody know?

I submitted everything on time and VMCAS application has been received.

Thanks Felix and Jil. It was at academic review. I went to a two different schools; the first one I never finished and left with an abysmal gpa but I had a 3.8 when I finished the other. But they used the gpa from both and that hurts my app. But I've still got more schools to hear from...just need one yes

So my application status is still in Academic review, and I see a lot of people moved into the committee review status. Should I be worried about this or is anyone else still wating to hear back from them? :/

So my application status is still in Academic review, and I see a lot of people moved into the committee review status. Should I be worried about this or is anyone else still wating to hear back from them? :/

I'm still in academic review as well

If you turned in your VMCAS in late Semptember/October 1 or 2, I wouldn't worry. If you turned it in before September, it doesn't look great.

I turned in my VMCAS app very end of Sept, and was verified around 20th of Oct. Just recently changed to in committee review. I wouldn't worry about it, it is moving very slowly, I believe.

So my application status is still none and gpa's are not even calculated.....Is that the academic review or does it take a while for that to pop up? Anybody know?

I submitted everything on time and VMCAS application has been received.

I'm in the same spot right now and I keep checking it daily waiting for it to change! It says received so I guess we'll just have to be patient lol +pissed+

I'm in the same spot right now and I keep checking it daily waiting for it to change! It says received so I guess we'll just have to be patient lol +pissed+

Emailed them. They have 1100 applications and are hoping to review all of them by November 21st.

Glad I heard an update.

Reactions: 2 users
My status just went from "None" to "Committee Review" today and they just added my GPA calculations to my page as well. I was verified by VMCAS in mid October. I am OOS. Hoping for an interview.

OOS students can get notified anywhere from mid November, to mid December. There were some that were notified in January as well. With ISU you unfortunately just have to wait and see if they pick you for an interview or not. Just remember there are multiple batches so don't worry too much if November comes around and you don't get chosen first. :)

I'm a little behind on my forum terminology, but what is "OOS" and "OSS" and anything else I'm forgetting?

:p

Thanks!

OOS is "out of state" and IS is "in state". I'm not sure what OSS is...that might be a typo. :/ Hope that helps!

I'm a little behind on my forum terminology, but what is "OOS" and "OSS" and anything else I'm forgetting?

:p

Thanks!
OOS = out of state
IS= in state
OSS: I"m going with out of state sponsored? This will apply to schools with contract seats. For example Iowa with CT.
You might also see NS sometimes used interchangeably with OOS, stands for non- sponsored.

OOS I got an interview invite today so excited!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS Interview invite request today for the Dec 6th and 7th dates!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody know how they run their interviews I am super nervous!

The interview is two-on-one, usually consisting of one faculty and one alum, and should run about 1 hour. It's closed file (interviewers won't know your application information) and the questions are behavior-based (Tell us about a time when...) with the opportunity to ask your own questions at the end. Fairly laid-back environment all-around.

OOS Interview invite request today for the Dec 6th and 7th dates!

wow now im checking my email obsessively....they don't give you much time to schedule anything either! D:

does anyone know if morning interviews are done by noon? It looks that way on the website but Im wondering if I can safely book a 5:30pm flight out of Des Moines the same day as my interview.

does anyone know if morning interviews are done by noon? It looks that way on the website but Im wondering if I can safely book a 5:30pm flight out of Des Moines the same day as my interview.
It's been a while... but I do believe that morning interviews are completely done by noon (or whenever you are finished with your interview/tour).

It's been a while... but I do believe that morning interviews are completely done by noon (or whenever you are finished with your interview/tour).
Sounds about right. Though I think being up at 5am messed with my internal clock :p

Sounds about right. Though I think being up at 5am messed with my internal clock :p
Same :p

For some reason I can't remember if everything was done right after the tour (11:30 or so?)... I think so anyways. RJ, if you have a morning interview you should be just fine to get to the airport for a 5:30 flight.

Great. Thank you! Ill call tomorrow just to make sure as well.

Same :p

For some reason I can't remember if everything was done right after the tour (11:30 or so?)... I think so anyways. RJ, if you have a morning interview you should be just fine to get to the airport for a 5:30 flight.
I think for you we had the tour first, then your interview. We were free to go once you were done.

Any of you guys remember how many people they do interview? Just curious, and jittery as all get out I have 2 interviews in the matter of 4 days....One in Tennessee and now Iowa!

Just received my interview invite today for the December 6-7 weekend! I'm unbelievably excited, but also really nervous about the behavioral interview. Thinking of experiences on the spot that fit different "tell me about a time when..." scenarios sounds really stressful. Anyone have any tips?

Just received my interview invite today for the December 6-7 weekend! I'm unbelievably excited, but also really nervous about the behavioral interview. Thinking of experiences on the spot that fit different "tell me about a time when..." scenarios sounds really stressful. Anyone have any tips?
Have you looked on SDN's interview feedback section? It was really helpful for me, and even had a few of the questions I was asked. To be honest, ISU was one of my low-stress interviews. Just be yourself, take the water they offer you (you can be there for an hour), and try to tie stuff back to vet med as you go and you will be fine. :)

So still just curious how many people does Iowa tend to interview?

So still just curious how many people does Iowa tend to interview?

I just got back from my interview, and there were 64 (I think) interviewing this weekend. ISU has 4 interview weekends, so I suspect that each weekend will have a similar number of people interviewing.

Awesome thank you! I remember you posting ages ago I can't believe how fast that came up! Hope it went well!!