Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome thank you! I remember you posting ages ago I can't believe how fast that came up! Hope it went well!!

It went really well! Everyone was super nice and it was so laid back :). Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

It went really well! Everyone was super nice and it was so laid back :). Good luck!
Thank you! I am getting really nervous now, but I am also definitely falling in love with this school the more I learn about it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So did I! I am a PA resident and I have my interviews scheduled for December 7th! It's the day before my 22nd birthday, so hopefully that will bring me luck!

So did I! I am a PA resident and I have my interviews scheduled for December 7th! It's the day before my 22nd birthday, so hopefully that will bring me luck!
Congratulations! Goood luck with your interview :)

Congratulations! Goood luck with your interview :)

Thank you agisarang! Hopefully you and everyone else will hear back soon!

I am curious though someone said they messaged them and that they want to review all of the applications by November 21st, that doesn't seem to fit the time lines of past years, any thoughts on this?

Thank you agisarang! Hopefully you and everyone else will hear back soon!

I am curious though someone said they messaged them and that they want to review all of the applications by November 21st, that doesn't seem to fit the time lines of past years, any thoughts on this?
I think they mean past the initial (academic) review. They will probably still give out interviews until late Dec/Jan.

I think they mean past the initial (academic) review. They will probably still give out interviews until late Dec/Jan.

Ahh I see! I am a huge person for statistics and numbers, which is quite painful when it comes to this vet school stuff! I am just really curious about how many of the 1100 applicants I am up against, lol!

Ahh I see! I am a huge person for statistics and numbers, which is quite painful when it comes to this vet school stuff! I am just really curious about how many of the 1100 applicants I am up against, lol!
If you look at how many interview slots are open for each weekend, there are 66. Multply that by 4, you get 264.

Based on the past 3 years of stats they have posted, if you are IS, you have a 41% chance, OSC 18%, and OOS 41%.

I like statistic too.

Reactions: 1 users
If you look at how many interview slots are open for each weekend, there are 66. Multply that by 4, you get 264.

Based on the past 3 years of stats they have posted, if you are IS, you have a 41% chance, OSC 18%, and OOS 41%.

I like statistic too.

Haha your awesome izzy! Your OOS too aren't you?

Got my official email today saying I was declined. The reason was that none of my courses met their requirements for anatomy despite the fact that I will be finishing my master's degree in anatomy in less than a month. They said all of my courses were too specific and I need to take a basic 101 type course. Best of luck to everyone else who applied here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who got his MD but then decided to change to a nurse practitioner and the school tried to make him take an anatomy course since he didn't have "anatomy 101" or whatever... just ridiculous

:wtf: I mean I get that they have their requirements but having taken something a little bit more in depth seems to count for nothing..

Hello, I know I'm late, but I just found this forum. I have applied and my status says in committee review. Also, I an OSS from a state that has a contract. I'm nervous that I won't get in because I've heard that the second round of interviews usually is reserved for states that have the contract. I haven't been rejected, but not offered an interview. Do you think it's too late for the Dec 6-7th round of interviews? Gahhh, I'm so nervous, haha.

Hello, I know I'm late, but I just found this forum. I have applied and my status says in committee review. Also, I an OSS from a state that has a contract. I'm nervous that I won't get in because I've heard that the second round of interviews usually is reserved for states that have the contract. I haven't been rejected, but not offered an interview. Do you think it's too late for the Dec 6-7th round of interviews? Gahhh, I'm so nervous, haha.
I think it is too late to get a notification for the Dec 6/7 interview but they interview also in January.

I like statistic too.

Actually the number of people interviewed each weekend are 96 (48 on Saturday and 48 on Sunday). Multiply that by 4 weekends=384

Actually the number of people interviewed each weekend are 96 (48 on Saturday and 48 on Sunday). Multiply that by 4 weekends=384

That is how many time slots they have, but they do not fill all the time slots. I interviewed on the 15th/16th weekend and there were only 64 or 66 people interviewing between Saturday and Sunday.

So, I am bringing my mother with me to the interview and I am curious... what will she be doing while I am in my interview? Also will she get to go on the tour of the school with me?

I have applied and my status says in committee review.

Gahhh, I'm so nervous, haha.

I'm in committee review too...I guess its good that we both got past the academic review, so that means our grades must be fine! I'm from California so Im not a contract state, but I don't think you should be super worried. They have two more interview weekends in January...that's at least what I'm trying to tell myself.
But gosh Iowa in January.....brrrrrrrr

My friend went last year in January and it was in the middle of a blizzard. Btw - the temp in Ames is 16 right now and I've seen it regularly as low as 9 lately.

If I get an interview, I was thinking of bringing my 16yo son, so I'd also like to know what guests do during the interview.

When my mom with me, she just hung out in the waiting room and then went on the tour with me. They really do not have much for guests to do. Unless they change it this year.

My friend went last year in January and it was in the middle of a blizzard. Btw - the temp in Ames is 16 right now and I've seen it regularly as low as 9 lately.

If I get an interview, I was thinking of bringing my 16yo son, so I'd also like to know what guests do during the interview.
I'm in Ames right now, and it's not bad. The cold weather is kind of nice.

I'm in committee review too...I guess its good that we both got past the academic review, so that means our grades must be fine! I'm from California so Im not a contract state, but I don't think you should be super worried. They have two more interview weekends in January...that's at least what I'm trying to tell myself.
But gosh Iowa in January.....brrrrrrrr
Iowa isn't that bad in the winter, I'm getting my undergrad from ISU right now. It's kind of nice to have chilly weather.

Iowa isn't that bad in the winter, I'm getting my undergrad from ISU right now. It's kind of nice to have chilly weather.

I'm from San Diego and I think our definitions of chilly seem to differ a little bit. lol I'm a wimp.

I'm a natural redhead and it's been scientifically proven we are extra sensitive to temperature. Plus I'm a cold wimp!

No way! I'm a redhead too!
Well...I guess I'm screwed for the cold then. lol

So, I am bringing my mother with me to the interview and I am curious... what will she be doing while I am in my interview? Also will she get to go on the tour of the school with me?
I'm a bit brain dead from exams so I will page @Gwenevre in case I miss anything. Guests have a waiting room where they can sit and chat with people, though there might have been a presentation about financial aid or something sometime? Yes, they can go on the tour with you!

Oh my, I've been tagged!
Keep it cool Gwen, keep it cool...

Yes, there was a waiting room for guests that was supplied with refreshments. The guest basically chatted with each other about where we were all from and bragged about our interviewees :p
I think that the financial aid presentation was a part of the day in general, because I remember sitting with Ashgirl for that. They planned it so that everyone was in two groups, the morning and afternoon interviewees. So we (the guests) got fed, toured, presented to, and then a nice reception room while we waited for the interview to be finished.
And the interviews were spaced so that Ashgirl was in the reception with us for a while before they called her into a room.

Reactions: 2 users
I fly out to Des Moines in exactly one week for my interview on December 7th! Talk about scary! Does anyone have an helpful tips for this nervous PA girl??

Good luck! Just be yourself and be prepared to talk about yourself and you'll be fine...and take the water they give you :)

Has anyone else still not heard back from Iowa?? :(

Has anyone else still not heard back from Iowa?? :(
I'm still in Committee rreview :( But the website says they will let people know about 3~4 weeks before the interview week , but only January 17ish and 24 ish interview dates are available, so I thought we have to wait till the second week of December or something!

Oh, I didn't even realize there were January dates. That makes me feel better!

On Iowa's website they have all their interview weekends as being tentative, what exactly does this mean? Like will they quit interviewing if they feel the remaining applicants are not up to their standards or if they have found their class or does this just mean the dates are subject to change? I am really anxious to hear back from ISU!

On Iowa's website they have all their interview weekends as being tentative, what exactly does this mean? Like will they quit interviewing if they feel the remaining applicants are not up to their standards or if they have found their class or does this just mean the dates are subject to change? I am really anxious to hear back from ISU!
I'm pretty positive it means that the dates could change (though they normally don't). In the last two years they even asked applicants last minute (so a few days before the last interview day in January if I remember correctly) to have a Skype interview as well.

I know it is barely December, but I want it to be February 15th. Right. Now. :arghh:

I couldn't agree more...I'll be happy when this weekend is done!

Good luck this weekend! You'll do great! If you have any questions about the vet school or Ames, feel free to contact me. :)

I'm in the process of driving to Ames. My interview is tomorrow at 11. :) :)

Reactions: 3 users
Finally in Ames and I must say it sure is a lot flatter than back home! Let the panicking begin!