Iowa State University c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a chance to check my email for the first time today.... screamed.... freaked my cat out.
Granted an interview!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm just curious. What is Vet school going to be like at Iowa State, and what are the required rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean that if it still says in committee review they just haven't gotten to the rejection yet?

So does this mean that if it still says in committee review they just haven't gotten to the rejection yet?

I messaged Kathy today as I am
still in review too.
She said we should hear some final decision by the 12/29

[couldn't find the delete button]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I got an interview invite yesterday too! I'm going to be there on the 17th in the morning :) I interviewed here last year and ultimately got waitlisted and never pulled off... but I absolutely fell in love with with this school and am hoping for a better outcome this year! It is definitely my top choice.

Congratulations to everyone who received an interview!! Everyone else, stay positive and keep your chin up! There is a reason for everything :) Keep your options open.

Eat, drink, and stay safe everybody.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and have a blessed New Year!

Reactions: 2 users
Still in review over here...beginning to become less hopeful.

Denied :/ buts it's ok! Got other interviews to conquer !!! Good luck Iowa applicants :))

Reactions: 1 users
Officially denied yesterday :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
Denied yesterday :(

Good luck to everyone who received an interview!

Anyone who got an interveiw invite! Did you guys get two messages through portal? because my first one indicated that there will be another message with more details or the interview date if I confirm the date.
I did get another one but it's about filling out the form about how many guests I'm bringing and stuff... So I was just wondering

Anyone who got an interveiw invite! Did you guys get two messages through portal? because my first one indicated that there will be another message with more details or the interview date if I confirm the date.
I did get another one but it's about filling out the form about how many guests I'm bringing and stuff... So I was just wondering

Yes here's what the 2nd one says:

Thank you for accepting your interview invitation! Please complete your RSVP by going tohttp://vetmed.iastate.edu/applicantRSVP and entering your name, species interest and number of guests accompanying you. Each applicant is limited to two guests.

The date and time of your interview is listed on your supplemental application status page. Please go to http://vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/interview-information for the interview program agenda and information on lodging and transportation. Please be sure to read all of the information carefully. If you have any questions please use the messaging system on your status page. RSVP by January 5, 2015.

IMPORTANT:

-Doors will lock immediately after your check in time (Doors will lock at 8:00 am for morning interviews and at 1:00pm for afternoon interviews). You will not be able to get into the building once the doors are locked.

-Please come ONLY for the session in which your interview is scheduled (Morning session: 7:30am-12pm; Afternoon session: 12:30pm-5pm). The door will not be staffed after the check in times and we only have space to accommodate the interviewees/guests in their respective session.

Directions to the college may be found at http://vetmed.iastate.edu/about/map. Please park in lot 96.

Thank you and see you soon!

Kathy

Hey SDN! Any current ISU students, or those who are familiar with Ames, have any recommendations on which hotels would be best to stay at for the interview? Note: I'm flying in from California on Friday 1/30 and am planning on renting a car, so I will have access to a vehicle! (I should mention, I *did* google surrounding hotels to the university, just for an idea, but some personal feedback would be so much more meaningful!)

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hey SDN! Any current ISU students, or those who are familiar with Ames, have any recommendations on which hotels would be best to stay at for the interview? Note: I'm flying in from California on Friday 1/30 and am planning on renting a car, so I will have access to a vehicle! (I should mention, I *did* google surrounding hotels to the university, just for an idea, but some personal feedback would be so much more meaningful!)

Thanks in advance!! :)

I am not a current student, however I interviewed there on December 7th and I stayed at the Microtel. It was literally right down the street from the school. They were doing construction when I was there, but the room was perfectly fine!

ForTheLoveOfDog,

I am a current ISU junior and I have previously stayed at the Quality Inn off of E. 13th Street and I was very satisfied with the hotel. Their breakfast is really good too! ;)

It's pretty close to the ISU/Vet Med campus too. Approximately 10-15 minute drive.

That's my recommendation :)

Have fun and good luck!!!

http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-ames-iowa-IA102

Thank you for the information!!! I will definitely take the advice and book at one of those hotels for the interview.

Hi all! I am OOS and interviewing at Iowa on January 18th!! I'm driving from Colorado, and my husband and I wanted to scope out a couple of potential places to live, just in case. Any recommendations for apartments in the area? I just want to get a feel for what is available.

Also, I just read in the interview feedback section on SDN that one interviewee discovered that a lot of students live in trailer parks. We have actually been looking at manufactured housing in the area, as we would like to be able to buy something for the 4 years that I would be in school, but don't really have the money for even a small house. Does anyone who has lived in manufactured housing in the area have anything to say about their experience? Did you feel like it was still a safe neighborhood? Was there anything that surprised you (positive or negative) about it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Kimmychen929 - I can help you learn about the manufactured housing :)

I am currently an undergraduate at Iowa State University and I live in the trailer park by the vet school. I seriously love living here! I rent from a roommate, but I am going to buy my own trailer when I get into vet school because of how much I enjoy the park.

Pros
1. I work at the ISU CVM Teaching Hospital and it is a three minute walk from my front door.
2. The park is about 80% vet students/grad students/undergrad students.
3. The park is extremely quiet - I don't have to worry about apartment neighbors all around me being loud while I am studying.
4. I have never felt unsafe while walking to/from work late at night, or going for runs by myself.
5. The park is pet-friendly, and every time I look out my window I see people walking their dogs.
6. The trailers do not sit for sale very long. For example, my parents and I were looking at a trailer to buy that was advertised online. The trailer ended up being sold in less than a week - before we could even set an appointment to look at it! (I guess this could also be a con.)
7. The park owners are extremely nice and are very helpful - especially if someone needs advice on who to contact for repairs.
8. Cheap compared to "real" houses. However, my trailer is much nicer than many of my friends apartments and houses.
9. There is a beautiful walking/running/biking trail that begins in the park and winds all around forested areas of Ames.
10. The park has laundry facilities, lawn mowers to borrow, and a pool.

Cons
1. Some of the trailers are older, so they might need to be fixed up. I have heard from other students to never buy a trailer with a flat roof because they leak easier than peaked roofs.
2. My roommate has her own bathroom, and it is on the north corner of the house. Sometimes her pipes freeze when it is below zero degrees. My own bathroom is an interior room and its pipes have never froze.
3. The non-master bedrooms are pretty small (in my trailer). I have a lofted bed in order to fit a desk, bed, dresser, and chair in here.
4. Because manufactured houses don't have basements, we have to run the the tornado shelter if the sirens go off - which is kinda scary. I hate storms.

Let me know if you have any questions! I love Ames and I hope you will too :)

I saw that trailer park when I went to ISU last year for APVMA and I gotta say that's a pretty cool place to live. The trailers are right next to the vet hospitals so you'd be right there if you got called for an emergency during clinicals. The biggest pro I can think of is that you don't have to drive/walk long to school when there's bad weather. You're literally right there!

Hey ya'll, I'm interviewing on January 18th (flying in from NY on the 17th) and heading home that night after interview. If anyone wants to split transportation from airport or anything, pm me! These interviews are expensive, haha. Best of luck to everyone in all their apps!

^ Same goes for the people interviewing on the 25th. I'll be renting a car since I just turned 25 and it's a hell of a lot cheaper for me now. If anyone wants to share the car, let me know. I arrive on the 24th and leave on the 26th but we can work something out through messages.

Can anyone tell me what Iowa's interview style is like? I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect since each school is a little different. Thanks in advance!! :)

Can anyone tell me what Iowa's interview style is like? I'm trying to get a feel for what to expect since each school is a little different. Thanks in advance!! :)
ISU's interview is in a room with 2 people (who may or may not be vets, one might be faculty), and you have a 45 minutes to 1 hour behavioral based interview. They won't directly ask you any question related to your application, but they will ask you questions like "When was a time you had to be creative? When was a time you had a conflict in a group and what did you do about it?"

Everyone will have a different experience (some good and some stressful), though personally my ISU interview was very laid-back and overall I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: 3 users
^ Same goes for the people interviewing on the 25th. I'll be renting a car since I just turned 25 and it's a hell of a lot cheaper for me now. If anyone wants to share the car, let me know. I arrive on the 24th and leave on the 26th but we can work something out through messages.

I'm 24, and I hate you. Paying for my "mid size sedan" cost me a whole supplemental fee - in pre-veterinary terms.

I'm 24, and I hate you. Paying for my "mid size sedan" cost me a whole supplemental fee - in pre-veterinary terms.
I was still 24 when I went to MSU's interview in December and it was actually cheaper to take a cab so that's what I did. I would have probably done the same for this interview but now I only have to pay like $60 for the 3 day rental. :)

The cabs I called quoted me ridiculous prices, the rental made more sense. The hotel - econolodge, anyone? - is saving me a good deal of cash so oh well. I accepted I'd be poor for interview season.

And with all this snow in the midwest, starting to hope travel plans are still going to go smoothly............

And with all this snow in the midwest, starting to hope travel plans are still going to go smoothly............
Ahh don't remind me! I have my kansas interview this weekend and I'm driving 2 hours in the snow at night. I've never even seen snow let alone driven in it so I'm a bit scared haha. I hope the weather gets better by then.

Is our status page supposed to change after we send in our Fall 2014 transcript? I had mine sent on December 30th, and I haven't seen anything on my status page to indicate whether ISU CVM has received it yet.

ISU's interview is in a room with 2 people (who may or may not be vets, one might be faculty), and you have a 45 minutes to 1 hour behavioral based interview. They won't directly ask you any question related to your application, but they will ask you questions like "When was a time you had to be creative? When was a time you had a conflict in a group and what did you do about it?"

Everyone will have a different experience (some good and some stressful), though personally my ISU interview was very laid-back and overall I really enjoyed it.

All, I apologize in advance for changing the subject however, Ashgirl, I have to commend you for your blog. I've been reading your postings and I am thoroughly entertained, thoughtful and sympathetic to your experiences. I always look forward to your postings. Not to mention, all of your information is tremendously helpful!

This is a treat :)

All, I apologize in advance for changing the subject however, Ashgirl, I have to commend you for your blog. I've been reading your postings and I am thoroughly entertained, thoughtful and sympathetic to your experiences. I always look forward to your postings. Not to mention, all of your information is tremendously helpful!

This is a treat :)
Aw Falconette, thank you :). Blogging is a great de-stress tactic for me, and I'm glad to hear that someone else enjoys my ramblings (I think I'm up to 3 readers now! :p).

Is our status page supposed to change after we send in our Fall 2014 transcript? I had mine sent on December 30th, and I haven't seen anything on my status page to indicate whether ISU CVM has received it yet.
I have yet to see an update on my page.

EDIT: I just looked at my portal an an additional section has been added "Extra Materials Received Directly (Not Sent to VMACS)."

Under that was a line saying Transcript Received.

Last edited:
I almost wish I had interviewed later than December, because this wait for February 16th is brutal!

On that note good luck to those interviewing this weekend!

Is that when they let everyone know by?
That's what they told us! It also has that date on the website, in past threads it looks like sometimes they may even tell you a few days before then!

Kimmychen929 - I can help you learn about the manufactured housing :)

I am currently an undergraduate at Iowa State University and I live in the trailer park by the vet school. I seriously love living here! I rent from a roommate, but I am going to buy my own trailer when I get into vet school because of how much I enjoy the park.

Pros
1. I work at the ISU CVM Teaching Hospital and it is a three minute walk from my front door.
2. The park is about 80% vet students/grad students/undergrad students.
3. The park is extremely quiet - I don't have to worry about apartment neighbors all around me being loud while I am studying.
4. I have never felt unsafe while walking to/from work late at night, or going for runs by myself.
5. The park is pet-friendly, and every time I look out my window I see people walking their dogs.
6. The trailers do not sit for sale very long. For example, my parents and I were looking at a trailer to buy that was advertised online. The trailer ended up being sold in less than a week - before we could even set an appointment to look at it! (I guess this could also be a con.)
7. The park owners are extremely nice and are very helpful - especially if someone needs advice on who to contact for repairs.
8. Cheap compared to "real" houses. However, my trailer is much nicer than many of my friends apartments and houses.
9. There is a beautiful walking/running/biking trail that begins in the park and winds all around forested areas of Ames.
10. The park has laundry facilities, lawn mowers to borrow, and a pool.

Cons
1. Some of the trailers are older, so they might need to be fixed up. I have heard from other students to never buy a trailer with a flat roof because they leak easier than peaked roofs.
2. My roommate has her own bathroom, and it is on the north corner of the house. Sometimes her pipes freeze when it is below zero degrees. My own bathroom is an interior room and its pipes have never froze.
3. The non-master bedrooms are pretty small (in my trailer). I have a lofted bed in order to fit a desk, bed, dresser, and chair in here.
4. Because manufactured houses don't have basements, we have to run the the tornado shelter if the sirens go off - which is kinda scary. I hate storms.

Let me know if you have any questions! I love Ames and I hope you will too :)

Thanks for the help! We will have to drive around a bit this weekend - and maybe see if there are any for sale, just for kicks. I really like to have things planned out, so this whole not knowing if/where we will be moving in 5-6 months is killing me! I'm glad to hear you've had such a good experience there, though - that really helps!!

Anyone else in Ames right now? :)

Good luck everyone this weekend! I'm not until late on the 31st.... One of the last people scheduled. Anyone else for that last day?!

Hey everyone,

To those whom are looking for a place to live in Ames this next year, I may have some available rooms in the apartment complex I'm currently residing in. This would only be available to females, Sorry guys.

Best of luck everybody! :)

Hey everyone,

To those whom are looking for a place to live in Ames this next year, I may have some available rooms in the apartment complex I'm currently residing in. This would only be available to females, Sorry guys.

Best of luck everybody! :)
Any particular reason why it would only be available to females? As a guy, should I be expecting to have to hunt down the other rare male vet students or live alone? Just wondering since I might be looking for roommates soon.

Edit: just making sure to point out that I 100% respect your decision to only live with other girls. I just wanna get your reasoning if possible so I can see what to expect. :)

Any particular reason why it would only be available to females? As a guy, should I be expecting to have to hunt down the other rare male vet students or live alone? Just wondering since I might be looking for roommates soon.

Edit: just making sure to point out that I 100% respect your decision to only live with other girls. I just wanna get your reasoning if possible so I can see what to expect. :)

It is the landlord's policy. If a female is looking for a roommate, she must find other females. Same with males. If a male needs a roommate then he must find a male roommate. I would imagine it's for security/privacy purposes.

Not to mention, my boyfriend said "absolutely not" which I agree with and respect ;)

It is the landlord's policy. If a female is looking for a roommate, she must find other females. Same with males. If a male needs a roommate then he must find a male roommate. I would imagine it's for security/privacy purposes.

Not to mention, my boyfriend said "absolutely not" which I agree with and respect ;)
That policy is extremely stupid. You'd get just as much security and privacy with a guy as you would a girl. We're talking about guys attending a professional school, not an overly-hormonal frat boy. Your boyfriend's policy, however, you can't argue against. :p

Is anyone else freaking out!?!?! February 15th feels soooo far away!

Reactions: 2 users