Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I just submitted my app about a week ago and its still august and I checked the portal and it says I'm in committee review already (which i'm beyond stoked about). I'm OOS as well. Is this normal for it to be done so early? And does any body know how long it might take to hear back about when I make it past/dont make it past committee review?
Interviews don't start until December. Be prepared for a loooooooong wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews don't start until December. Be prepared for a loooooooong wait.

On their website it says interview dates are Oct 15 & 22, Nov 5 & 6, and Dec 3 & 4 so... I'm pretty sure only the IS applicants get the first couple but after that I think they offer interviews to OOS.

On their website it says interview dates are Oct 15 & 22, Nov 5 & 6, and Dec 3 & 4 so... I'm pretty sure only the IS applicants get the first couple but after that I think they offer interviews to OOS.
Huh. That's new. Last year IS interviews were at the beginning of December with OOS following the next few weeks. I don't think I was offered my interview until well into November.

Dr. Howard did mention during orientation that admissions were already deep into working on c/o 2021 applications, so I guess they're streamlining things and making the whole process faster this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Huh. That's new. Last year IS interviews were at the beginning of December with OOS following the next few weeks. I don't think I was offered my interview until well into November.

Dr. Howard did mention during orientation that admissions were already deep into working on c/o 2021 applications, so I guess they're streamlining things and making the whole process faster this year?

I'm down with that :D

Unless they're changing this, too, it is a behavioral interview. You're allotted one hour for it, but I've found (both in my own experience and from what others have told me) that it generally lasts 45-50 minutes. There are usually two interviewers--a professor and an alumnae veterinarian. I really recommend checking out the SDN interview feedback page for ISU; the questions have been similar, with only minor changes, every year and I felt very prepared for the interview after having gone through them and thinking about some example scenarios I could use. At the end, they also will ask if you have questions for them, so I would try to have a couple in mind.

That's awesome thanks @SandstormDVM!

oh jeez i really hope so that would make me so happy to know either way
thanks!

First time OOS applicant. Just sent in my payment and signature sheet today, so the waiting game begins. So excited to hear back from this school! *fingers crossed*

Reactions: 1 user
I got a message from the admissions committee saying that my requirements were deficient because I didn't have a physics lab. I responded that my physics lab was included with my physics class but they were confused because it was not in the description. So for now my status says an academic review slash deficient but now my GPA is are calculated including my science prerequisites GPA. Does this mean that I'm in the clear? :wideyed:

Lol no clue. Mine says in committee review!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol no clue. Mine says in committee review!

So jealous haha. Got a notification that there was a message in portal but it was a generalized message about due dates. Was so excited for a minute that I changed to committee review haha

I actually got the same general email. When I went to check they had GPAs calculated and said I was in review. I never got a separate email about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly have no idea. I didn't even know I was in committee review until I logged onto the supp app today.

Does anyone know how long committee review takes? Should we hear about interviews soon if we're in committee review?

While all you guys are talking about being in committee review I am over here still looking hopelessly at their vague essay questions :help: Writers block is a serious problem!

Yes, I noticed that they need my Summer Transcript by February, even though my transcript to VMCAS had the summer class on there. So, I might email them about that. I looked on the website, and it said that interviews are held in mid-October sometime? So we should hear by October 1st if we got an interview?

Yes, I noticed that they need my Summer Transcript by February, even though my transcript to VMCAS had the summer class on there. So, I might email them about that. I looked on the website, and it said that interviews are held in mid-October sometime? So we should hear by October 1st if we got an interview?
Last year they did mostly instate interviews first, then contract states and finally all the OOS students last, but they have moved up the entire process by a month this year.

So those two weekends they list are for In-State and contract or everyone in those two weekends?

So those two weekends they list are for In-State and contract or everyone in those two weekends?

My guess is the first two are instate and contract and last two are OOS

Hey everyone! First time posting. I am first time applicant for ISU, fingers crossed!
IS (Texas) has denied me twice already, so decided to venture to OOS schools. Where else is everyone applying?
Good luck!

First time applying and I applied to 7 schools which in retrospect is a lot but I'm super nervous haha so I thought I'd cast a net and see where I get a chance to interview. So I'm applying to ISU, CSU, Purdue, Univeristy Illinois, VAMD, LMU, and WSU

I applied to 7 as well, Purdue (IS), Missouri, Iowa State, Washington State, NC State, Ok State, and Wisconsin

8 total due to me being a nontraditional student with a low first time undergraduate GPA. Tufts, UC Davis, OSU (Ohio), WSU, Florida, Iowa, Colorado, and Kansas. We'll see how it goes, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to know I wasn't the only one that applied to 8 schools! I applied to Texas, ISU, WSU, UW, Colorodo, LSU, Oregon, Kansas. Best of luck everyone!

I applied to 5 schools, so not quite as high as some of you but still up there! I applied to UC Davis (IS), Oregon State, Colorado State, Iowa State, and Kansas State! Good luck everyone :)

Switched to Committee review this morning and verified on 9/2

Does anyones Last 45 Credits GPA say Not yet calculated on Iowa's status page?

My application changed to "In Committee Review" ...
My app also says Not Calculated for both last 45 and science GPA

I think this happens occasionally, they probably have calculated it but forgot to change your portal. A quick call or message should fix that.

My application switched to committee review today! Last 45 and science GPA have been calculated as well.

Hmmm still haven't switched to committee review. That can't be a good sign....

I am in committee review as well but my GPA's aren't inputted either- hopefully they just forgot to put them in?

I just got taken out of committee review and am "academic review deficient" because they say I didn't fulfill the biology requirement since I didn't take an organismal bio lab. But on their website it says that a bachelors in biology is sufficient for their requirement and I will have that in the spring when I graduate. I also have a 1 year series course with 2 labs (granted they are both molecular biology) so I think I've completed the pre req in multiple ways! I'm so scared but hopefully I got that cleared up....

I just got taken out of committee review and am "academic review deficient" because they say I didn't fulfill the biology requirement since I didn't take an organismal bio lab. But on their website it says that a bachelors in biology is sufficient for their requirement and I will have that in the spring when I graduate. I also have a 1 year series course with 2 labs (granted they are both molecular biology) so I think I've completed the pre req in multiple ways! I'm so scared but hopefully I got that cleared up....

Ack! Good luck getting this resolved.

Good luck I had to send them a syllabus to clear up my discrepancy but they were very nice about it.

Thanks guys! I had a brief moment of terror this morning, but by the afternoon it has all be cleared up! I feel so relieved although I'm sure I lost at least 3 years off my life with the amount of panic that gave me ahaha

Hey, guys. I wanted to confirm that the first two interview weekends will indeed be 10/15-10/16 and 10/22-10/23. VM1s who signed up to act as ambassadors just recieved an email asking for help with various interview-related activities during those dates. In addition, the email specifically mentions that "Interviewees will be coming from across the United States", which leads me to think that there is a possibility that at least a few OOS applicants might be interviewed at that time (although it could just be referring to contract states, like Connecticut and the Dakotas).

So, yes, things are definitely moving faster this cycle. It also means that some applicants should start recieving interview invitations very soon.

I'm going to sign on to work at least one of those weekends, so hopefully I can meet a few of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Awesome! Hopefully some OOS will be in those two weekends!

Thank you for passing along the information!! Hopefully I'll be meeting you one of those weekends! :)

Will we get an email or will it be on the supplemental app?

Hey, guys. I wanted to confirm that the first two interview weekends will indeed be 10/15-10/16 and 10/22-10/23. VM1s who signed up to act as ambassadors just recieved an email asking for help with various interview-related activities during those dates. In addition, the email specifically mentions that "Interviewees will be coming from across the United States", which leads me to think that there is a possibility that at least a few OOS applicants might be interviewed at that time (although it could just be referring to contract states, like Connecticut and the Dakotas).

So, yes, things are definitely moving faster this cycle. It also means that some applicants should start recieving interview invitations very soon.

I'm going to sign on to work at least one of those weekends, so hopefully I can meet a few of you!
Do a student panel! Those are so much fun!!!