Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted676737

I didn't see a thread dedicated to ISU for this cycle, so I figured that I'd go ahead and get one started!!

Anyone else here interested in ISU?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was waiting for this one! Iowa is my only hope at saving a bit of money because I'm a Connecticut resident.

I was waiting for this one! Iowa is my only hope at saving a bit of money because I'm a Connecticut resident.
That's good. :) Yeah, the IS and contract tuitions are pretty cheap by vet school standards. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at ISU for my undergrad and applying for vet school as well! Such a wonderful school! Good luck to everyone!

I'm another CT resident applying this year!

I was thinking about Iowa as a possibility to apply to. I like that they have a bit more seats for out of state students than some of the others.

Hi! I'm a CT resident as well but I'm still two years out from applying (currently working on my post bacc). I'm trying to gather as much information as possible now though. I saw the class profile pages on the Iowa State website and I know 10 CT residents were accepted but do you have any idea how many CT residents applied? Trying to get a better idea of the odds. Thanks!

Hi! I'm a CT resident as well but I'm still two years out from applying (currently working on my post bacc). I'm trying to gather as much information as possible now though. I saw the class profile pages on the Iowa State website and I know 10 CT residents were accepted but do you have any idea how many CT residents applied? Trying to get a better idea of the odds. Thanks!

For the CT contract, I think in my class 6 or 7 students got the IS tuition deal. So not all the CT residents get it and I do not know off hand how many CT residents are in my class. I could look at the website but. . .

In terms of how many CT residents applied, you would have to contact admissions and ask them directly. I do not know if they break up the application pool by state ie. this # of people applied from CT and this # got in. I definitely know they break down the number of IS vs OOS applications.

The scariest part is you'd be starting vet school in 2017 if I am doing the math right then I'll be a 4th year.... I wish you luck in the pre-vet journey and start making a list of volunteer and animal related experience with hours now.

For the CT contract, I think in my class 6 or 7 students got the IS tuition deal. So not all the CT residents get it and I do not know off hand how many CT residents are in my class. I could look at the website but. . .

it's typically 5 a year that get the deal, but more get accepted.

Question related to that... is everyone from Connecticut automatically considered for the deal or do you have to indicate anything on your application (obviously besides the fact that you are from Connecticut)? I wonder how they choose which ones get the deal.

Question related to that... is everyone from Connecticut automatically considered for the deal or do you have to indicate anything on your application (obviously besides the fact that you are from Connecticut)? I wonder how they choose which ones get the deal.

No not everyone from CT gets the deal. I know many CT residents who did not get the IS tuition. In regards to the ones that get the deal, I believe they rank all the CT residents that got accepted and the top few get the deal. For example, if 14 people from CT got in, but the tuition deal is only for 6 people then the people with the six highest scores (from interview, application review and GRE) would get the deal. So don't just assume that if you are from CT and get into ISU, you get some type of reciprocity. Also every year there's always a rumor floating around that the program may be cut, but as far as I know it is still on going. You could definitely email the admissions office to get additional information.

No not everyone from CT gets the deal. I know many CT residents who did not get the IS tuition. In regards to the ones that get the deal, I believe they rank all the CT residents that got accepted and the top few get the deal. For example, if 14 people from CT got in, but the tuition deal is only for 6 people then the people with the six highest scores (from interview, application review and GRE) would get the deal. So don't just assume that if you are from CT and get into ISU, you get some type of reciprocity.

Sorry... I think I was unclear. I understand that not everyone gets the deal. My question was whether we are automatically in the running for those 5 (or whatever it is) spots simply by indicating that we are from Connecticut. I would assume this is the case, but wasn't sure if we had to do anything special to ensure we are being considered for one of those spots.

The top 5 applicants from CT to matriculate get the grant. And you are automatically considered for it through ISU. ISU will send the top five applicant names to the University of Connecticut and you would receive a grant from them. You do need to send UConn a domicile affidavit, but that is really the only paperwork you will need (visit this link here http://www.cag.uconn.edu/academics/PreVIA.php).

I did just want to clear something up, it is a misnomer that it is true in-state tuition. It is actually a $20,000 grant per year for a max of $80,000. You are still considered Out-of-State and the grant is taken off that tuition. So you do end up paying a bit more than true in-staters. But it certainly helps a lot!

When I matriculated there were 24 accepted CT Students, with only 10 actually going to Iowa State. I'm not sure how many CT students actually applied :).

I hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry... I think I was unclear. I understand that not everyone gets the deal. My question was whether we are automatically in the running for those 5 (or whatever it is) spots simply by indicating that we are from Connecticut. I would assume this is the case, but wasn't sure if we had to do anything special to ensure we are being considered for one of those spots.

All I know is from what my classmates tell me who got the contract seats. I really have no idea how many people get offered the contract position and if that # changes from year to year. I would say email or call admissions at ISU. They will give you all the information and it will be more accurate than classmate hearsay. For example, I had no idea that CT students still pay more than IS students but less than OOS, the ones in my class who received the contract always stated it was the same as IS. So go figure on that one. . .

Hey guys. I am a CT resident who has the contract with Iowa State. If you have specific questions about the program, I recommend emailing Cameron Faustman ([email protected]). He is the guy in charge of running everything from the CT end and will most likely be able to answer your questions better than ISU.

A word of caution to those CT residents applying: Every 2 years, the state of CT must approve a new state budget and this program is always on the verge of getting cut. The budget was up for renewal this year and it was cut from the initial budget, but apparently passed in the final budget. Everyone is awful at communicating things to us. For example, I had no idea that I received the contract until late July in 2013 when it just showed up under my financial aid, and no one has told us if the program has reduced funding or has been cut entirely (although the money is still showing up in my financial aid award). Just prepare yourselves for a bureaucratic circus that is the state of CT and understand that the funding may not be guaranteed for all 4 years, even if you get it starting first year.

That being said, ISU is a great school and you save a heck of a lot of money by coming here instead of going to a different OOS school. Good luck this application cycle, and feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions!

The top 5 applicants from CT to matriculate get the grant. And you are automatically considered for it through ISU. ISU will send the top five applicant names to the University of Connecticut and you would receive a grant from them. You do need to send UConn a domicile affidavit, but that is really the only paperwork you will need (visit this link here http://www.cag.uconn.edu/academics/PreVIA.php).

I did just want to clear something up, it is a misnomer that it is true in-state tuition. It is actually a $20,000 grant per year for a max of $80,000. You are still considered Out-of-State and the grant is taken off that tuition. So you do end up paying a bit more than true in-staters. But it certainly helps a lot!

When I matriculated there were 24 accepted CT Students, with only 10 actually going to Iowa State. I'm not sure how many CT students actually applied :).

I hope that helps!

I believe you only have to send that once you've been admitted? Am I incorrect?

I believe you only have to send that once you've been admitted? Am I incorrect?

Mostly yes. The deadline is March 15th of the year you plan to matriculate. Some people who are put on the waitlist wont hear that they have been admitted until after that date. In that case I would be safe and submit it by the deadline that uconn posts.

Hello everyone!

I'm an Iowa resident with intentions of applying to ISU next year for c/o 2021. I'm really excited someone started an ISU thread. Now I can follow along with everyone's plans and deadlines.

Good luck everyone! Keep me updated! :)

Hello everyone!

I'm an Iowa resident with intentions of applying to ISU next year for c/o 2021. I'm really excited someone started an ISU thread. Now I can follow along with everyone's plans and deadlines.

Good luck everyone! Keep me updated! :)

Noticed you're located in Ames! Assuming you're an ISU student... I am too! I'm a 2020 applicant, but you should be sure to follow the threads! This forum helped me so much throughout the application process! Good luck to you next year!

Does anyone know if ISU lets OOS students who pursue the dual MBA/DVM prorgram get IS tuition after the first year of the program? I know some schools with dual programs do, but I wasn't sure if that was ISU's policy. I've also emailed the school but was curious if anyone here knew.

Also, officially have decided to apply to ISU this year as well! I was just planning on applying to my IS (after verifying with ISU my prereqs would fulfill their requirements haha), but decided to go ahead and apply to ISU, too.

So hi! :)

Mine also says In Academic Review... ahhh. So weird. It still hasn't completely hit me that this is actually underway and happening! I wish this process wasn't so long and drawn out (or at least it feels that way from this end of things... I'm sure it's very busy over on the other end).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

How did you guys prepare for the GRE? I am the WORST test-taker and I'm incredibly anxious about scoring well on the exam.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

How did you guys prepare for the GRE? I am the WORST test-taker and I'm incredibly anxious about scoring well on the exam.

I used the Kaplan General GRE book, Verbal GRE book, Quantitative GRE book, and vocab flashcards. I also took a lot of practice tests. I started preparing about 3 months before the exam but only went hard studying for maybe the three weeks leading up to the exam. I ended up scoring about 5 points higher on the actual exam than the practice tests predicted so that was cool!

My goal was to score at least 160 on both sections. I used Kaplan books and also the Magoosh phone app for vocab words (which is awesome... I would be on it whenever I was waiting around for something at my internship or during commercial breaks while watching TV). Additionally, I studied and knew all the words at the back of the Kaplan books. The first time I took the test I only studied the week leading up to the exam. I don't think I ever took a full practice test. I was really happy with my verbal, but the online calculator threw me off a ton and I ran out of time and really screwed up the quantitative.

The second time I basically studied the same way, but I got a quantitative-only Kaplan book and really figured out faster techniques for some of the trickier problems (ones that I knew how to do, but not as fast). Other than that, I just told myself to do the test faster on actual test day and was really conscious about that. Instead of marking a bunch of problems to come back to (and leaving them blank), I would make sure to make my best guess anyway and then come back later. This way, even if I didn't have time to go back I still had an answer down. I ended up scoring 8 points higher on quantitative. I scored 2 points less on verbal but that was fine by me since the score was still on par with my personal goal. For the second time, I studied earlier, but not necessarily more. Meaning I probably only put in a week or so of intense studying, just not right before the test.

Does anyone know when Iowa sends out interview invites? According to last year's page, they did all the CT residents the same weekend (the first weekend of Dec), so I'm assuming they'll do the same again.

However, I have a chorus concert that day. I obviously will go to the interview, not chorus, but I'd like to be able to give my chorus director as much notice as possible if I can't be in the concert, since I have a solo and I'm in a small ensemble.

Thoughts anyone?

From the thread last year, it appears that a CT resident was also notified of an interview late October (which I'm assuming was for the November interviews) and then November 13th for the December interviews.

From the thread last year, it appears that a CT resident was also notified of an interview late October (which I'm assuming was for the November interviews) and then November 13th for the December interviews.

Well according to the document from last year, they did 5 CT residents on the Nov day, and 18 of them on the Dec day.... and then none on the January day.... so there's a small chance I guess I could make my concert!

Ah so I suppose they choose those top 5 first... I kind of figured it would be as such. Not really expecting that haha

Ah so I suppose they choose those top 5 first... I kind of figured it would be as such. Not really expecting that haha

Well they don't pick the top 5 for the contract until after the interview points are added though, unless it's the top five from everywhere other category though.

Yeah! I meant more that they probably pick their top 5 candidates for the contract at that time, although I'm sure it could always change after the fact

Out of complete curiosity, has anyone here had their GPAs calculated yet? I've been in academic review since mid-August, and all that's currently showing on my portal are my GRE scores.

Out of complete curiosity, has anyone here had their GPAs calculated yet? I've been in academic review since mid-August, and all that's currently showing on my portal are my GRE scores.
Not yet... and my status says "None"

Officially "In Committee Review." I didn't get an e-mail though. I just kind of checked randomly and there it was.

However, my GPAs are still listed as not calculated so I don't know.

Ah, wait. I forgot that you're a CT resident. I suppose it'd make sense for you to move into committee review this early.

It's odd that your GPAs still aren't listed, though.

I've also been in academic review since mid-August. My GPA and GRE aren't listed yet... Panic is setting in...

Ah, wait. I forgot that you're a CT resident. I suppose it'd make sense for you to move into committee review this early.

It's odd that your GPAs still aren't listed, though.

I checked out the thread from last year and it seems that there were a couple people who were put in committee review and it took 1-3 extra days for the GPAs to post so I'm just going to go ahead and assume they'll be showing up within a week haha. But yeah, CT and I also was verified in early-mid August for anyone who is wondering.

I'm at CT resident who still says none. But I was verified mid September so...

I was verified August... 15th, I believe? But I am OOS, so I'm sure that makes a difference.

I've been in academic review for over a month with only my GRE scores, no GPAs.

Also I know we talked about interviews a little earlier and it seems like the interview dates may be different this year?
It is saying on the website that the four waves for this cycle are December 5-6, January 16-17, January 23-24, January 30-31 as opposed to previous years when it was November, December, and two January waves. I wonder if this means that maybe only in-state people are getting interviewed in December and that *most* contract state people (minus the top handful that used to go in November) may not even hear until January??

IM IN COMMITTEE REVIEW GUYS AHHH!!

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone be sure to post when you start hearing back from ISU! Let us know if you've got an interview! Should be starting to hear back very soon! It's all so exciting!!!!

In committee review!!

Still in academic review... still no GPAs posted... *sigh*

I guess they're just working on ISers and contract states right now?

CONGRATULATIONS! What does this mean?!?!?!?!

It just means that I passed the academic review. Then, they review everything else and decide if you get an interview.

Guys I have a HUGE issue :( Iowa is being a jerk about accepting my comparative anatomy as their perquisite of mammalian anatomy/physiology. We focused mainly on the cat and how other vertebrates compare to it. What should I do or say to get them to accept it? Would anyone who got accepted last cycle be willing to say that they got in with a comparative anatomy credit? SOS