Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent mine in yesterday, too!

Does anyone know if ISU has a dress code? I think this was mentioned during interviews, but I forgot. If so... I need to get a new wardrobe; I'm pretty sure my collection of school and nerd shirts will not be allowed. Haha.

On Thursdays we dress up. Some guys/girls wear suits and there are others that wear khakis and a nice shirt. I wear black pants and a nice shirt. The idea of Thursday is dress like you're going to an interview. The other days of the week you can wear jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts. So I doubt you need to buy a whole new wardrobe unless you only wear yoga pants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
One of the schools I visited, not sure which, said there was a policy you had to live within like 12 minutes. Obviously I prefer this, but does ISU CVM have a policy that states this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

One of the schools I visited, not sure which, said there was a policy you had to live within like 12 minutes. Obviously I prefer this, but does ISU CVM have a policy that states this?

No.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't believe we have a formal policy, but when you are on-call fourth year it is my understanding that you are expected to be able to be at the school within 20 minutes. And trust me when I say you don't want to live more than a few miles from the school in the winter with the way the people drive in this town. I have had 2 friends get rear ended in the last year (one of them totaled). I'm from New England and used to the snow, but it always impresses me when I can count 15+ cars in the ditch when driving on I-35 in the snow.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe we have a formal policy, but when you are on-call fourth year it is my understanding that you are expected to be able to be at the school within 20 minutes. And trust me when I say you don't want to live more than a few miles from the school in the winter with the way the people drive in this town. I have had 2 friends get rear ended in the last year (one of them totaled). I'm from New England and used to the snow, but it always impresses me when I can count 15+ cars in the ditch when driving on I-35 in the snow.
Yeah I really want to live as close as possible and know well to avoid i35. I was thinking possibly Boone if I can't find anything we are looking for in Ames.

Yeah I really want to live as close as possible and know well to avoid i35. I was thinking possibly Boone if I can't find anything we are looking for in Ames.

Nevada and Huxley are slightly closer than Boone. But you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a place in Ames. Though Boone is close to Ledges, which is nice for hiking!

On Thursdays we dress up. Some guys/girls wear suits and there are others that wear khakis and a nice shirt. I wear black pants and a nice shirt. The idea of Thursday is dress like you're going to an interview. The other days of the week you can wear jeans, t-shirts and sweatshirts. So I doubt you need to buy a whole new wardrobe unless you only wear yoga pants.
:highfive:YaY! I don't have to give up my hoodie collection?!
(It's the simple things I celebrate the most)

I sent in my position acceptance materials on Monday, and my portal has officially changed to "Concluded - Admit - Accept"!!!!! Kathy updates the system quickly!

My portal status is also now Admit - Accept! I am so excited to meet all of you in the fall! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps a stupid question... I've been snooping around on the ISU website -- in terms of the different services, ISU card, financial aid, etc -- and it seems like we have to use our UID for pretty much everything. For current students, how long after accepting your offer did it take for you all to receive your UID? I know that it's still only February and that I maybe (probably) am jumping the gun on this, but I'm the type of person that likes to have everything set up and ready to go early, or at least have some idea of what's going on. ;)

Perhaps a stupid question... I've been snooping around on the ISU website -- in terms of the different services, ISU card, financial aid, etc -- and it seems like we have to use our UID for pretty much everything. For current students, how long after accepting your offer did it take for you all to receive your UID? I know that it's still only February and that I maybe (probably) am jumping the gun on this, but I'm the type of person that likes to have everything set up and ready to go early, or at least have some idea of what's going on. ;)

OASA will be sending you emails about all of this stuff soon. But from what I remember, at some point prior to orientation you need to go to Beardshear hall on main campus and get your picture taken at Card Services. It takes like 10 minutes and they print out the card. That will allow you to have access to the vet school (you need to swipe your card to get in).

Since I'm an email hoarder I checked the date. I didn't get my ISU ID until the beginning of May. It might be different for you since I'm a UNL student.

I'm no help because I'm an ISU undergrad so I already have one :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
You are jumping the gun. :) The deadline for acceptances isn't until April 15, and then OASA needs to get the waitlist admits in to get the class filled. They want to send out as few mass emails as possible, so yeah, you'll probably get stuff in May.

I think it's interesting that your class's facebook group is monitored by OASA. Ours is not.

Yeah, as WildAtHeart said, you'll go to Beardshear Hall prior to school starting (most people arrive to move in before Orientation, and will just go during that time). I'm not sure how early you can go to get it done, but I'm also not sure that there is much benefit to having it done early (besides having one more item checked off your to-do list, which I get)... I'm pretty sure they wouldn't give your card building access until orientation begins.

Thanks for the help, everyone! Yeah, I'm aware that I am jumping the gun by a little (okay, a lot)... I guess I'm just a wee bit overly excited. :laugh:

I appreciate all of the answers! :)

FYI Connecticut residents - they just emailed our rankings out.

Reactions: 2 users
And I have it on good authority that #2 and #3 aren't going to accept - so there's hope if you're not in the top 5 from the get go!

Last edited:
FYI Connecticut residents - they just emailed our rankings out.

In addition, if any of my fellow "Nutmeggers" have questions about the contract (how it works, etc.) or if you have other questions/concerns about moving from CT to IA feel free to PM me!

And I have it on good authority that #2 and #3 aren't going to accept - so there's hope if you're not in the top 5 from the get go!

This is great to know!

If someone is looking for housing message me for details. I am a current vet student.

Anyone know when you have to have the rabies series completed? Or how long it takes to complete?

Anyone know when you have to have the rabies series completed? Or how long it takes to complete?
You gets shots day 1, 7, and either 21 or 28, so about a month to complete. Proof of vaccination is due in July, but there's also a vaccination clinic in the fall of students can't get it done by July!

In addition to what fredandcessna said, there is a summer rabies vax clinic going on, too, on June 1, 8, and 22. I believe if you want to attend this one, though, you need to make sure to RSVP; there should be information about it on the website as well as the Facebook page!

Besides the old orchard website and the isu vet med housing website, are there any other pages to go to that list trailers for sale?

Besides the old orchard website and the isu vet med housing website, are there any other pages to go to that list trailers for sale?
There's a facebook group called Vet Med Buy, Sell, + Trade (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574956366092361/) that has some listed. My guess would be that those are already listed on the sites you mentioned. Driving around the trailer park is another way to find things for sale if you're in the area. I know that both me and a friend bought trailers that weren't listed on those sites but had for sale signs up in the yard.

There's a facebook group called Vet Med Buy, Sell, + Trade (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574956366092361/) that has some listed. My guess would be that those are already listed on the sites you mentioned. Driving around the trailer park is another way to find things for sale if you're in the area. I know that both me and a friend bought trailers that weren't listed on those sites but had for sale signs up in the yard.
Im not able to join that group :( I think you need an iastate email to join? I got to sdsu in south dakota currently. I am driving around tho :) thank you!

I don't recall anyone addressing this yet, but how necessary is it to have a car?

I don't recall anyone addressing this yet, but how necessary is it to have a car?
If you live in the trailer park, you'll be able to walk to the vet school no matter what the weather's like - it is quite literally next door. You'll need a car to go grocery shopping though, unless you make arrangements to go with someone else every week.

There is a bus system that is free to students but its a bit harder for vet students because you have to transfer from the in town routes to the vet school connector if you are trying to get from your house to the vet school. The larger grocery store (HyVee) in town that has two sites also has a delivery service. Hope that helps.

If you don't get a car, you can't end up in a ditch after the first big snowstorm of the year. :)

Also, it is technically possible to walk to HyVee from the trailer park. There is a path. But when the windchill is at -25, having a car is amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
If you don't get a car, you can't end up in a ditch after the first big snowstorm of the year. :)

Also, it is technically possible to walk to HyVee from the trailer park. There is a path. But when the windchill is at -25, having a car is amazing.
If you do have a car, how much does it cost to park at the school?

How long did it take for everyone who sent in their acceptance forms and check before your status showed 'accepted' on the portal system?

How long did it take for everyone who sent in their acceptance forms and check before your status showed 'accepted' on the portal system?
It took a little under a week for me, but I'm also pretty close to Iowa. So it could be a bit longer if you're further away.

I'm an Iowa resident and ISU undergrad and it took about three days for me!

Hi future veterinarians!

Congratulations to everyone who got in! I am currently a first year and OOS at ISU. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.

I was just accepted to the University of Illinois, although a CT resident (not contracted--not top 5 or even top 10), I am going to be dropping my admitted spot to ISU within the next few weeks.... once I have confirmation of my deposit~~~ I hope this gives hope to a waitlisted student, and good luck to everybody~~~ we will all be colleagues in the end :)

Also officially dropped my Iowa spot as a CT resident. I was also not even in the top 10.

Does anyone here live (or know someone who lives) in Boone? I have done a lot of searching and it seems like so far that will be the best bet for our needs (as much as I want the trailer park) but I would love to talk to someone who lives there. It sounds like it should only be a 20 minute drive and I know to avoid i35, so Ankeny is out. Just looking for some input, thanks!

Does anyone here live (or know someone who lives) in Boone? I have done a lot of searching and it seems like so far that will be the best bet for our needs (as much as I want the trailer park) but I would love to talk to someone who lives there. It sounds like it should only be a 20 minute drive and I know to avoid i35, so Ankeny is out. Just looking for some input, thanks!
One of the girls in my class commuted from Boone (her parents lived there) - so free room and board. She had no problems. Another woman and her husband lived in Nevada (another nearby town).

Rush hour on i35 is almost standstill most days, so unless you go to school at least an hour or more early and come home pretty late, that 30 minute commute turns into over an hour

Does anyone know the availability of scholarships at ISU?

Does anyone know the availability of scholarships at ISU?
I got a confirmation email on my essay this week. I thought the original message said they would notify awards around April 1st

We were supposed to find out our waitlist number today.. but I just got the notification that I have been accepted!!!!!! The (OOS) waitlist is moving! So happy right now!!!

We were supposed to find out our waitlist number today.. but I just got the notification that I have been accepted!!!!!! The (OOS) waitlist is moving! So happy right now!!!
Congratulations! :) Will you be accepting the offer?

Congratulations!!!'

Congratulations! :) Will you be accepting the offer?
Thank you! Yes I will be. I am so grateful I found this out before the deadline because I would have lost my deposit for another school.