Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A quick textbook-related question for current students: I've gone ahead and purchased all of the required books (just waiting on Coulson to get here), as well as Thrall's since it sounds like that one is very helpful later on. I've got the big Miller's (Anatomy of the Dog); do you think it would be worth the money to buy the recommended little Miller's (Guide to the Dissection of the Dog), too? Or is the big Miller's sufficient for the first semester anatomy course?

Thanks in advance!
I got through just fine with Miller's anatomy. I know some of my classmates like the dissection guide though. Personally, what worked for me was taking good notes on the dissection instructions given out before lab, and asking for clarification while in lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got through just fine with Miller's anatomy. I know some of my classmates like the dissection guide though. Personally, what worked for me was taking good notes on the dissection instructions given out before lab, and asking for clarification while in lab.
Sounds great. :) Thank you, Genny!

A quick textbook-related question for current students: I've gone ahead and purchased all of the required books (just waiting on Coulson to get here), as well as Thrall's since it sounds like that one is very helpful later on. I've got the big Miller's (Anatomy of the Dog); do you think it would be worth the money to buy the recommended little Miller's (Guide to the Dissection of the Dog), too? Or is the big Miller's sufficient for the first semester anatomy course?

Thanks in advance!

I bought the guide to the dissection of the dog and thought it was really useful. It is less detailed compared to Miller's. Personally I thought Miller's provided more information than what we needed to know. Also. I don't even buy textbooks for vet school anymore. I bought the histo book, the phys book and the anatomy book (mentioned above) - and the only book I used was the anatomy one. I think some of the textbooks will be more useful when out in practice and you need to look something up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the guide to the dissection of the dog and thought it was really useful. It is less detailed compared to Miller's. Personally I thought Miller's provided more information than what we needed to know. Also. I don't even buy textbooks for vet school anymore. I bought the histo book, the phys book and the anatomy book (mentioned above) - and the only book I used was the anatomy one. I think some of the textbooks will be more useful when out in practice and you need to look something up.
Good stuff. :) Thanks!

I think I may go ahead and buy Guide to the Dissection of the Dog if I can find it online for cheap, then.

I second this. You don't need most of the books. When you get to third and fourth year, find out what the clinicians in your specialty recommend and get those texts for when you're out in practice. Vet school is already super expensive, you really don't need to buy $400 worth of books every semester. You can get A's without them.