Iowa State University CVM c/o 2020 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They did interview one South Dakota student last year during the first weekend... Is SD a contract state, or no?
Yeah I'm pretty sure ND, SD, and CT are. Then they do some cooperation thing with Nebraska I think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I'm pretty sure ND, SD, and CT are. Then they do some cooperation thing with Nebraska I think?

Yes to what you said. Although the Nebraska students go to school in Lincoln for the first two years and then join their classmates in Ames for 3rd and 4th year.

I am still absolutely shocked and honored to have received an interview invitation so early as an OOSer. I just... ISU is one of my top schools, so I'm very, very excited.

But I can't help but wonder. Traditionally, the first weekend has only been for IS and contract OOS applicants, right? I wonder what happened this year; did they change how they're approaching/processing applications, or did they maybe just not receive as many applications for this cycle? Definitely not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but it has me curious.

Actually I have heard through the rumor mill, the number of applicants has actually increased... but that's a rumor.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who has received interview invites so far!! :D I'm a first year veterinary student at Iowa State so if you have any questions about the school, program, etc. feel free to message me and I will answer them the best I can!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone who has received interview invites so far!! :D I'm a first year veterinary student at Iowa State so if you have any questions about the school, program, etc. feel free to message me and I will answer them the best I can!

Would you mind sharing some things you have liked/disliked about your experience so far? Or certain things we should look out for when we visit/tour?

Would you mind sharing some things you have liked/disliked about your experience so far? Or certain things we should look out for when we visit/tour?

Don't wear a skirt that is above your knees... seems obvious but every year there is at least one girl. DON'T DO IT! Not really related to what you are asking about... but hopefully other girls will see this.

Also, deep V neck shirts... :nono:

Hey guys! I received an interview for the first weekend too!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone. I have a dilemma. In your opinion, do you think Iowa would move someone to a different day due to a conflict, or am I throwing my application away by doing that? I just emailed my chorus director to say I can't perform in the concert, and he threatened my scholarship (fair, it's a music scholarship contingent on my being in chorus) and said that he doesn't think Iowa would want to accept a student who backs out on a commitment like I'm doing now. He's strongly suggesting I talk to them, but I'm afraid to because, while Chorus is important to me, I can't blow my chances at Iowa for it.

Yes to what you said. Although the Nebraska students go to school in Lincoln for the first two years and then join their classmates in Ames for 3rd and 4th year.

Actually I have heard through the rumor mill, the number of applicants has actually increased... but that's a rumor.

Iowa State received around 1100 applications this year. I am not sure how many they received last year so I'm not sure if thats more or less.

Hi everyone. I have a dilemma. In your opinion, do you think Iowa would move someone to a different day due to a conflict, or am I throwing my application away by doing that? I just emailed my chorus director to say I can't perform in the concert, and he threatened my scholarship (fair, it's a music scholarship contingent on my being in chorus) and said that he doesn't think Iowa would want to accept a student who backs out on a commitment like I'm doing now. He's strongly suggesting I talk to them, but I'm afraid to because, while Chorus is important to me, I can't blow my chances at Iowa for it.

Do you mean move from, say, Saturday to Sunday or to a different time altogether?

Do you mean move from, say, Saturday to Sunday or to a different time altogether?
It would have to be a totally different weekend. I tried really hard to get flights that would work around it and there is no possible way.

I'm also afraid that the other dates would overlap with other schools but I obviously don't have any other invites yet so I don't know.

It would have to be a totally different weekend. I tried really hard to get flights that would work around it and there is no possible way.

I'm also afraid that the other dates would overlap with other schools but I obviously don't have any other invites yet so I don't know.
You must have a trusted advisor who may be able to help? In all honesty, you don't know how ISU would react. I wouldn't risk blowing a chance at ISU, but I'm shocked your director is saying that. I think that's extremely unfair of him or her to threaten that upon you - this is your future. Good luck with this and let us know what happens!

Yeah... I also think its so weird for him to threaten that. At this point, I feel like post-undergrad life takes priority over undergrad in most cases and I don't know why he wouldn't be understanding of that. I mean I don't think it would be the end-all be-all to ask if you do so in a certain way and explain the situation. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

It wouldn't hurt to call ISU and just ask. Explain the situation. But I do think that it is a little overbaord for your director to threaten your scholarship over professional school interviews. Heck, I've heard of senior exams being adjusted to accommodate job interviews for people who are almost to graduation in my undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... I also think its so weird for him to threaten that. At this point, I feel like post-undergrad life takes priority over undergrad in most cases and I don't know why he wouldn't be understanding of that. I mean I don't think it would be the end-all be-all to ask if you do so in a certain way and explain the situation. Then again, maybe I'm wrong.

That's terrible.... I would definitely talk to an advisor or somebody as well if you can. I emailed Iowa before the applications were due about interview conflicts cause I'm currently studying abroad in Ireland until December 20th so if I did receive an interview on that first weekend it would have been really difficult for me to get there. This is exactly what they said "We try to work with students who notify us in advance and have verifiable reasons for an inability to attend an assigned interview date." Idk if that helps you at all but I figured it's good to know!

Thanks for the advice everyone and the validation that I'm not an awful person for doing this!

What I ended up doing was that I found a flight leaving at 12:30 putting me in Boston by 6:40 for an 8pm concert. So almost impossible to make it on both ends. But I asked Iowa if they can move me up to a morning interview and haven't heard back. Now I'm honestly praying they say no because now that I've slept on it this is way too stressful!!

Edit: update... They said no. At least now I can tell my Director I tried

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the advice everyone and the validation that I'm not an awful person for doing this!

What I ended up doing was that I found a flight leaving at 12:30 putting me in Boston by 6:40 for an 8pm concert. So almost impossible to make it on both ends. But I asked Iowa if they can move me up to a morning interview and haven't heard back. Now I'm honestly praying they say no because now that I've slept on it this is way too stressful!!

Edit: update... They said no. At least now I can tell my Director I tried
I'm glad you at least have an answer now! Everything will work out!

To everyone who received an interview: I received a message on the portal messaging system with a link to RSVP for the interview! Check your portals! T-minus 19 days :soexcited:

To everyone who received an interview: I received a message on the portal messaging system with a link to RSVP for the interview! Check your portals! T-minus 19 days :soexcited:
Thanks for the heads-up! Just RSVPed! Ahh, I am so excited! :woot:

Sure! I have no complaints about the program. Everything has been awesome.
I like that even in the first semester we have a Case Studies class where we go over practice clinical cases and how to properly critically think through a case, as in a dog was just brought in with XYZ, what is your plan, what do you want to do, etc. I think it's super important for us to practice thinking like a veterinarian to gain confidence for our clinical years and so on. We also have a Clinical Foundations class where we gain a foundation on how to perform physical exams and neuro exams on canines along with other important aspects of small animal practice. (This semester we're focusing on small animal, next semester we focus on large animal). These classes help to tie together information we're learning in anatomy and histology.
I like that our clubs allow us to get a variety of experience in hands-on wet labs and some of them offer weekly rounds to discuss cases with the residents!
There are numerous opportunities to get involved around the school in whichever field you're interested in!
There's so much that I like about ISU CVM, I could go on and on...:rofl:

As far as what to look out for when visiting, ask whatever questions you may have! Every school is different. Some little things that I generally liked to ask about were dress code and block exams. Some schools require business wear everyday and have block exams. ISU has neither of these. The tour guides are really great and will make sure to hit on the major points of the school and what we stand for. If you tell them what you're interested in then they will likely try to incorporate some of what they talk about around your interests! And if they can't tell you more about it then I'm sure they know someone who can. :)

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to message me! :D

I like that even in the first semester we have a Case Studies class where we go over practice clinical cases and how to properly critically think through a case, as in a dog was just brought in with XYZ, what is your plan, what do you want to do, etc. I think it's super important for us to practice thinking like a veterinarian to gain confidence for our clinical years and so on. We also have a Clinical Foundations class where we gain a foundation on how to perform physical exams and neuro exams on canines along with other important aspects of small animal practice. (This semester we're focusing on small animal, next semester we focus on large animal). These classes help to tie together information we're learning in anatomy and histology.
I like that our clubs allow us to get a variety of experience in hands-on wet labs and some of them offer weekly rounds to discuss cases with the residents!
There are numerous opportunities to get involved around the school in whichever field you're interested in!

As far as what to look out for when visiting, ask whatever questions you may have! Every school is different. Some little things that I generally liked to ask about were dress code and block exams. Some schools require business wear everyday and have block exams. ISU has neither of these. The tour guides are really great and will make sure to hit on the major points of the school and what we stand for. If you tell them what you're interested in then they will likely try to incorporate some of what they talk about around your interests! And if they can't tell you more about it then I'm sure they know someone who can. :)

THIS MAKES ME SO EXCITED. Thank you for your wealth of knowledge!!! :bow:

Any opinions on the area/what is there to do outside of veterinary school stuff? I'm aware that I won't have a lot of time for other things, but my SO and I would be moving from Boston, and I'm a little nervous about the drastic change in scenery...if I wanted pizza at 2am could I get it or is that not a thing in the midwest?

Any opinions on the area/what is there to do outside of veterinary school stuff? I'm aware that I won't have a lot of time for other things, but my SO and I would be moving from Boston, and I'm a little nervous about the drastic change in scenery...if I wanted pizza at 2am could I get it or is that not a thing in the midwest?
JEFFS PIZZA. It's absolutely a thing.

However, it is important to remember that New Haven pizza cannot be outdone.

yeah 4:42 is my departure time I believe with a stop in Detroit.

JEFFS PIZZA. It's absolutely a thing.

During my first year we ordered from Jeff's and they didn't show up for close to 2 hours... the driver was stoned. So lesson learned, go and pick up your pizza or you may not see it

haha yea. I don't mind Ames. I think it's a nice town. It's a college town so there are things to do with there being a ton of undergrad students around! Depending on what you like to do you could always drive to Des Moines which is a really big city with a bunch of stuff to do if you get bored with what there is in Ames. It's about 30 mins away. I drove there a couple of weekends ago for a concert which was sweet!

Ames is a great town but like they said above Des Moines is great too! I specifically love all of the food choices in Ames and the Main Street area. There is always a new restaurant to discover. We also have a pretty great dog park that I use regularly. Iowa State is growing so much in the number of students that many businesses are flocking to Ames making the town accessible to just about anything you need/want! Go Cyclones!

But a heads up for anyone traveling to town that is not renting a car... I definitely recommend you use Uber because it is a fraction of the cost of our taxis in town.

I'm OOS and my application status still says "None" I emailed them and they said they just haven't reviewed my application yet, and would get to it this week or next. Anyone else have this problem? Makes me nervous that they're sending out interview invites and my application hasn't been reviewed yet.

Mine still says "none" as well and last I checked they also said they haven't reviewed it yet. A few others on here also said they still have "none" as their application status.

Yep mine still says none too! Hopefully we'll know soon.

I'm OOS and my application status still says "None" I emailed them and they said they just haven't reviewed my application yet, and would get to it this week or next. Anyone else have this problem? Makes me nervous that they're sending out interview invites and my application hasn't been reviewed yet.
The first interview weekend at ISU is usually IS and contract applicants, so if you're OOS don't panic if you don't get an invite. I'm IS at ISU and I interviewed first weekend and met some of my IS classmates there. I also know a lot of my classmates who didn't interview until the final weekend, so you can still get a seat in the class if you're not interviewing the first weekend.

Hey fellow "status: none" applicants, my application finally went into academic review today! Hopefully yours did too

I'm an IS applicant and I'm still in committee review. Should I be concerned?

I'm an IS applicant and I'm still in committee review. Should I be concerned?
Not necessarily! Last year most IS'ers were interviewed the first weekend, but there were some interviewed other weekends as well! Also, this year they invited some OOS students to the first weekend, which they didn't do last year, so it appears some things are being done differently. Waiting is so hard! Hopefully you hear good news soon :)

Not necessarily! Last year most IS'ers were interviewed the first weekend, but there were some interviewed other weekends as well! Also, this year they invited some OOS students to the first weekend, which they didn't do last year, so it appears some things are being done differently. Waiting is so hard! Hopefully you hear good news soon :)
Alright thank you I appreciate it!

Anyone have any information / advice on how to prepare for interviews this coming weekend? (getting nervous!)

Anyone have any information / advice on how to prepare for interviews this coming weekend? (getting nervous!)
Look at the SND Interview feedback section! They have each school and people have posted questions they've been asked!

But really... @fredandcessna and @heyyimhayley and I are getting together this weekend for an SDN social. If you have an interview this weekend and want to get together Saturday, get in touch with us! It'll be a party! Or a post-interview freak out session. Either or.

But really... @fredandcessna and @heyyimhayley and I are getting together this weekend for an SDN social. If you have an interview this weekend and want to get together Saturday, get in touch with us! It'll be a party! Or a post-interview freak out session. Either or.
Aww. I totally would, but I'm driving up for my interview on Sunday and will be busy pretty much all day tomorrow. :( Are any of you guys interviewing during the Sunday afternoon session?

I can host at my apartment! Lol

Aww. I totally would, but I'm driving up for my interview on Sunday and will be busy pretty much all day tomorrow. :( Are any of you guys interviewing during the Sunday afternoon session?

Yep! I'm Sunday at 2:00!