iPad Applications for Articles/Storage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychanator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for iPad applications for storing/organizing and annotating research articles and textbooks? I have heard of some options, such as Goodreader and PDF Expert, but I was wondering what types of experience people may have with these or any other apps.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my goodness, Mendeley is the best thing in the world! Seriously. it automatically syncs across devices (iphone, ipad, pc/mac), allows you to make notes, highlight, and share highlighting and notes between Mendeley users. Better yet, they have recently released a citation add-on, so that you can use Mendeley to add citations, and bibliographies to Word documents, the same way you can with Endnote and RefWorks.

ANDDDDD It's free.

Members don't see this ad :)
iAnnotate. Not free, but worth the money I spent.

Does anyone have suggestions for iPad applications for storing/organizing and annotating research articles and textbooks? I have heard of some options, such as Goodreader and PDF Expert, but I was wondering what types of experience people may have with these or any other apps.

Thanks!
I actually have been downloading the PDF's into my ibooks... I just created a different shelf for them.

I also had a question about this during interviews... There are so many apps out there now (to make digital notecards, take notes, etc.), do you think it could be viewed negatively using one's ipad (or tablet) during an interview? I mean we can't possibly remember all of our questions off the top of our heads... but I guess I was worried it would be viewed as pretentious in some way? I don't know.. what do you guys think? I was going to also have paper back up of my questions as well.

Goodreader is the s*!t. I sync everything with Dropbox and always have my PDFs available and synced with annotations no matter if I'm on my computer or iPad.

I also had a question about this during interviews... There are so many apps out there now (to make digital notecards, take notes, etc.), do you think it could be viewed negatively using one's ipad (or tablet) during an interview? I mean we can't possibly remember all of our questions off the top of our heads... but I guess I was worried it would be viewed as pretentious in some way? I don't know.. what do you guys think? I was going to also have paper back up of my questions as well.

I have the same question! I can't possibly be expected to remember all of their talking points and my questions during the interview (especially given how nervous I am and will be!) and I've been wondering if I should bring my iPad or just a folio with a pad. Hmm.

I have the same question! I can't possibly be expected to remember all of their talking points and my questions during the interview (especially given how nervous I am and will be!) and I've been wondering if I should bring my iPad or just a folio with a pad. Hmm.

It really depends on the interviewer; some will be ok with you whipping out an iPad or notebook, and some will see it negatively that you're spending time looking at that rather than focusing on the interview. I know, looking at the questions and writing down responses is a form of focusing on the interview, but some interviewers prefer not to disrupt the flow of things by having you briefly pause to type/write/read every few minutes.

In my case, I brought a folio in with me to each interview, but didn't actually open/use it unless there was an obvious break in the conversation and/or both the interviewer and I were apparently running out of things to talk about. In most instances, I ended up just jotting down everything we talked about afterward, but there were a few times when I opened it to get a question.

Also, you can think of it as a form of practice for your clinical work. I don't know how many times I had my therapy professors and supervisors warn us against constantly writing things down rather than paying attention to the client during a session. Getting used to remembering key talking points until you have a chance to write them down later is a very useful skill to have.